My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, as some of you already know from a previous thread, I recently became the proud owner of an '03 cub cadet 3235. This machine came with a 54" deck, and the power angle/raise 54" dozer blade. So far, I absolutely LOVE this machine!

After having mowed my property twice now with the 3235, two things...

1) This tractor is AMAZING at how nice it makes the grass look (making use of the OEM striper) and that this machine has once again sparked my enjoyment of mowing that I had grown to HATE thanks to the many problems with my old "tractor"

2) Time for the stupid question Lol... I do have a bank on one side of my property that adjoins my neighbors. There were at least 3-4 times today that I had to use the diff lock when making an angled pass, and a couple of times that I still had to do a 3-5 pt turn because I was still stuck with the diff locked... keep in mind the ground was completely dry at this time... so I've decided that I either want to get a different set of tires for the rear, or the most likely option of chains, to be followed by weights before winter..

So, question is, I read a lot about the factory tires are not true 24x10.50-12, so what size chains should I need/get??

Thanks again for all the help and support and sorry this was so long-winded.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'm glad to hear that you are enjoying your new machine. Nothing wrong with using the differential lock for added traction...that's what it's there for. Here is some info that you need to be aware of when using the diff-lock:

- Come to a stop before engaging the pedal. Engagement while in motion can sheer the pin that locks the axle, leading to an expensive repair
- Since both axles turn at the same speed with the differential locked, avoid tight turns on surfaces that matter (like your lawn) or on hard surfaces.
- The diff-lock will remain engaged until you remove your foot from the pedal AND come to a full stop.

The diff-lock is widely misunderstood. Those that don't heed the above warnings have had to rebuild their differential. Those that do really enjoy the traction it affords.

Regarding chains, I believe that they are sold in a size range such as 23 to 25 inches. They are very helpful when plowing if your driveway has any slope. Between chains and the diff-lock the tractor will be unstoppable in the snow. Over the years I've used wheel weights (hate 'em), suitcase weights (can never seem to hang enough of 'em) and have filled my tires with Rim Guard. Far and away, the combo of Rim Guard and a few suitcase weights have been the easiest to work with.

What are the condition of your tires? Was the slope you were cutting wet?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary. When I mowed yesterday the ground was completely dry. The first time I mowed with it, I was going side-to-side and only experienced wheel spin once or twice but nothing the diff lock didn't handle. Yesterday, I mowed up and down (my wife still picks on me after 10yrs cause I like to now different directions every time Lol). I would rate the tires fair to good with minimal wear. I blame it strictly on them being the turf saver type tread as they load-up quickly with grass clippings and dirt.

As far as using the plow, I'll definitely need some good grip as my driveway is long and at a pretty good grade slope.

Also, is it true that leaving chains on year-round will prematurely wear out the trans axle or is this just on the cheaper "light-duty" riders? Another factor is that I also take care of my widowed neighbors yard work (about 3/4 acre) and her yard is almost all sloped so if I go with chains over the OEM tires, I would basically leave them on year round.. also I should add that if I go with chains, I'll be getting the "higher-end" style with more crosslinks so I'm not jarring the crap outta the tractor and myself Lol.

·
Registered
651 Posts
We just had a discussion about tires recently. The turf tread are at one end. The Tru-Powers are really aggressive and will eat the yard. I think the middle ground was the super lug?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I would not use chains year round. They will chew-up the yard and driveway. Plus it is an uncomfortable ride.

As JD has suggested, bars/Super Lugs will do the trick. You'll find that the 23x12x10.5 is the correct size.

·
Shop = My Therapy
3,157 Posts
Ag/Bar or HDAP's tires that are filled with fluid sound like what you need for year around use.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Start with wheel weights or fill the tires and go from there. I run weights all year ... even for mowing. I have a 2500 series and before I put on the weights I would quite often spin while mowing. Once I put on the weights ... not too much of an issue.

I now have weights and Tru Powers (mainly for garden work) and I can go nearly anywhere. The TPs can take a bite out of the turf ... but not too bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts