My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple of messages last week and I pulled the trigger this morning. Tractor seems to be in great shape. The seller (3rd owner) had all original manuals and many (not all) receipts from service work done. I believe it is a late 70's model but I need to do some more research. Seriel number is 9742594. It came with a 54" blade and a 48" deck (I think). Seller said it was 46" but I didn't see anything in the manual stating a 46" was available.

Of course I know pictures are a must so I will download shortly and post.

I do have a question, the throttle lever does not want to stay at full power, it wants to slip back down to medium or low idle. Is there an adjustment for that?

Will post pics soon and thanks for the info, I'm sure I will have many questions to follow.

Mark

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Congrats Mark. You probably better hurry with those pics before they pull your membership.
It should be a '77 and they only had 44" or 48" decks. It's probably a model *46 deck which made him think it's a 46".
The throttle lever is a common issue and rectifiable. Lots of threads on doing it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Re: New (to me) Case 446 - pics included

Here are a couple of pics. I will try to get some better ones soon.

Hood, fenders and wheels were recently repainted.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Whooooaaaaaaa!!! Great shape is right!!!! That is one nice looking tractor.

·
Registered
182 Posts
great looking tractor,

I have a 1982 (i think) 446, the throttle has gone south on mine before,

I just made a Aluminuml shim or plug that fit tight into the slot when the throttle was at max power, attached a light duty chain to the shim and to the steering wheel column.

worked great for years, later replaced the throttle cable, but the one i replace, noticed as i was chopping leaves yesterday, its starting to creap back some.

have to look up my old throttle plug.

ky ******* fix, but it works. kinda like having cruise control on your vehicle.

might think about changing the hyd oil, if you do not have a copy of the maintenance the old tractor has recieved.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments, I'm excited to put this thing to work.

Maxwell, I'm curious about your throttle fix. Are you saying you put the shim on the face of the tractor in the slot to prevent the throttle cable from creeping back?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Please don't be wishing for snow to push with that blade just yet Mark. Find some dirt to push around for awhile and if you can't bring her on down and push some of mine. :fing32:
Your neighbors aren't going to know how to act with you clearing their drives and sidewalks this winter.
It looks like you have a nice big drive but your not going to be satisfied with doing just it and will be out doing everyone else's.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
camero
i,m curious as to why your engine has the engine oil filter?
poss. a re/power?
can you list the information from the tag on the cowl.
model 46 is a 48" mower
than you. boomer (the used onan engine parts guy)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Thanks for the comments, I'm excited to put this thing to work.

Maxwell, I'm curious about your throttle fix. Are you saying you put the shim on the face of the tractor in the slot to prevent the throttle cable from creeping back?
yes that is what i did, it worked great, throttle will not creap back with the shim or plug in the slot behind the throttle lever.

might not be the approved fix, but it worked,

remember i am a certified ky ******* and i have papers to prove it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
CP7 - I am looking forward to pushing snow but your right, not quite ready for it yet. I have a field behind my house which I have been mowing for the last 4 years and finally have the pasture cleaned up but there are some piles of dirt I can sastify my need to play for now.

Maxwell - ******* or not sounds like it works. I think I will give it a try.

Boomers - I wasn't aware the filter is not stock. The history is interesting. I have a service manual along with some other literture (not sure if it is original). Seller said the engine was rebuilt built but he got that from the 2nd owner so he could not confirm. I'm pretty certain the deck was rebuilt as I do have the receipts for that but I have nothing for the engine. It does run strong so I'm not real concerned

Owners manual states the following for the engine info:

Engine Model Number - BF-NS/3264F
Engine Serial Number - G773263134

Should these numbers be on the engine somewhere so I can confirm?

Thanks

·
Registered
82 Posts
Have you looked at the throttle lever to see if there is a bolt down in there than you can tighten? I'm not sure if there made this way I've never looked at mine, I know my JD is this way.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Does the engine info on the engine tag match that in the manual? I've never seen a BF with a filter, not to say they didn't exist, just never saw one in a Case.

·
Premium Member
2,224 Posts
ken, camero and club.
the BF only had three options.
#1 oil filter
#2 top entry points box
#3 DD carb w/ fuel pump
CASE only used # 3 option.

camero
the tag should on the cowl, as i stated earlier.
the letters should be BF/ MS
look at the crank end of your engine,
on the r/h side of the points box.
there should be some # stamped on the slanted side of the block
if it is #3263124, then it is o.e.m.
if you see 110- xxxx then it was a factory replacement short block
thank you. boomer. (the use onan engine parts guy)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts