My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just got a case 442 with a 12 horse Koler . The engine runs well but i have a few leeky hydrolic hoses and a mower deck problem . It came with a 48" mower deck i scraped some paint that was covering the original decals so i know its a case deck but i have no idea what moddel . the belt that came with it is a 72" but when engaged it doesn't want to spin the blades. I've tride adjusting the tensioner but i can't get the blades to stay engaged . I think its the wrong belt i downloaded some of the stickys people have poosted but can't find any belt specs for a 442 and a 48" mower deck . Any help would be graetly apriciated. (there are a few pics of the mower and deck on my profile page)

·
Banned
431 Posts
I don't know which 442 you have because you did not provide the PIN.

If yours is a PK model, then that makes it a 1969. The 48 inch deck is model F-46 and that uses Case belt C23810 which is a 69 inch 4V type.

If your tractor is a 1970, then the deck is a G-46 and it takes Case belt C 23806 which is also a 4V type but 70.25 inches long.

It's no wonder that a 72" belt will not work.

The above is based upon your deck having the piece of pipe that slides into the mule pulley bracket that sits under the engine. The other issue is whether or not your PTO clutch engages properly and then stays fully engaged.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Sorry the tractor is a 932323 . The drive looks like its staying engaged but the belt doesn't move and im not sure about the pipe you mentioned there was a pice of threaded rod with a pipe over it on the lower bracket of the front mount for the mower but it hits the pulleys on the front so I switched it to some bolts. When I got the tractor it had the snow blade attachment on it

·
Banned
431 Posts
You are one digit short of a proper PIN. Try to get the correct 7 digit PIN.

Tell me about the deck you have.

Does it have a bracket that clips onto the very front of the tractor's frame rails? Or... does it attach to a bracket that hangs down underneath the tractor?

·
Registered
516 Posts
If the pin starts with 932, i believe it would be a 69'. Like Incubus said though, a correct and full pin # would verify.

Aside from the year, I think a 48" deck is a little on the big side to be run by a 12 horse engine. If this machine has the original Kohler in it, its around 45 years old, and hardly fresh. Making the power even less. The 442's are one of the odd duck models because of there relatively short production run. My opinion is that the engineers found 12 hp to be a little lacking on the hi wheel models. The 444 by comparison enjoyed a very long production run and many, many models were sold.

The pre snap fast implements arent very easy to locate and these early machines usually wind up being owned by serious collectors and restored for shows and such.

If anyone can figure out your problem its Incubus :fing32:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry about that the pin is 9632323 (early morning precoffee post ). I tried a 69" belt after i got home from work and still no luck getting the blades to spin .

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't able to post pictures on this thread but I fid post soms more pictures of the deck and the drive pulleys (both engaged and not engaged). I'm not sure I have the deck on correctly since i didn't have any directions

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ok, it is a 1969 model which is pre-snap fast. The belt should be 69" as Incubus said. Some pics would help determine whats not correct

:fing32:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not sure if I did it right but I posted some pics on my profile in a public album you might get a better idea of what I'm working with .I'm pretty sure the guy that had it before my friend made some modifications trying to fix it up

·
Banned
431 Posts
bricky..... we are here to help you solve your problem. BUT... in order to do so, YOU have to help us by answering our questions. We need to figure out what deck you have. You don't seem to know how to post photos and that is a major impediment.

So.. let's see if we can speed this up. LOOK carefully at this photo. Do you see the large flat plate with the handle sticking out of it that is directly below the grille? When you look at your tractor, do you see a plate like that with the belt tension handle?

If you are sure that your tractor does not have that plate, then you must have a deck that looks like the one on this tractor. There is no plate on the front of this tractor. The deck has a pipe that is about an inch and half in diameter that slips into a fixture with two pulleys on it. The drive belt drops directly down from the PTO clutch, travels around the two idler pulleys and goes rearward to the pulley on the deck.

The belt tension adjuster is a threaded rod with an eye on the end of it.

As you can see, the tractor below has nothing in front of the axle. All of the deck parts are hidden under the tractor.

If your deck does not resemble either one of these, then you are going to have to figure how to post photos in this thread.

·
Banned
431 Posts
That is what I was afraid of. Let me explain.

The lower photo is a 222 that was made the same year as your tractor. You can see the little brackets with the holes in them that are welded to the tractor frame. Those are there to mount the snow blower.

If you look at the top photo, you will see a cadmium plated pin that has a head about the size of a silver dollar just below the side of the hood. That is called a Snap-Fast pin. In 1971, Case introduced the Snap Fast system of mounting the decks, blades and snow blowers and that system is still in use today.

You do not have the correct Series F deck for your tractor. Most likely, you have a J-Series deck that was made for the tractors with Snap Fast pins. I bet that the mounting plate is held on with a long bolt or a piece of rod that has been shoved through the holes I mentioned for the lower photo and the bottom of that bracket is left swinging in the air.

Tractors with the Snap Fast system have a pair of steel brackets welded to each of the frame rails and those hang down from the frame rails. They have a pin at the bottom of them that accepts the open slots you see on the big square plate that is hooked to the front of your tractor. There is no chart that can tell me which belt you should have because this is technically the wrong deck.

Now.... there is a remote possibility that your tractor was fitted with the conversion kit that transformed the frame properly to accept the newer Snap Fast attachments. This was known as the H-18 kit and special brackets got bolted to each frame rail and they would accept the open slots on the big square mounting plate for that deck. Look and see what you have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are two rails bolted vertically to the frame that receive the lower part of the front plate i'll try to get some pics of it on here this evening

·
Banned
431 Posts
Forget the photos.

Go to the top of the forum to the STICKY messages. Click on the one for manuals. Scroll down and find the manual for the decks and read it.

The tension adjuster is called the KEY, it causes the tension spring to stretch and that spring is what keeps the belt tight. Do you have that spring? If not, then you need to order one from bhildret, a member of this forum.

Open your hood, engine off, no belt on the PTO clutch. Pull the clutch knob all the way out. Use your hand to try and rotate the clutch pulley. If the clutch pulley will rotate but the engine does not rotate in harmony with it, then you have a clutch problem.

Go back to the STICKY section and read the clutch manual.

The belt you need is 1/2" by 70" but it must be either an OEM belt from a dealer or a belt from Tractor Supply that has Kevlar construction. Ordinary V-belts will not last so do not waste your money on them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks I downloaded the clutch manual this morning and I'll check it this evening I think it might need adjusting .

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
He actually has some pretty good photo's of the tractor, mower deck, and clutch in his profile gallery. It does appear that he has the kit and a J deck. To me, something does not look right with the PTO clutch ?

Bricky, when you are posting a message, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the attachment section and attach photo's to the message just like you did in your profile.

:dunno:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
He actually has some pretty good photo's of the tractor, mower deck, and clutch in his profile gallery. It does appear that he has the kit and a J deck. To me, something does not look right with the PTO clutch ?

Bricky, when you are posting a message, scroll down to the bottom of the page to the attachment section and attach photo's to the message just like you did in your profile.

:dunno:
Red is my hilight: looking at the photos it appears that the clutch cam halves are not correctly installed as the notches line up evenly, rather than offset.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I checked the clearance on the clutch and it's well over .12 . Im going to try adjusting it .
[/IMG] this is fully engaged and fully disengaged

·
Banned
431 Posts
My advice is this. Buy a good, used EZ ADJUST clutch off of e-bay for around $180.00 or so and install it. You have the older shim clutch and that style is more challenging to get the adjustment correct.

There is no manual on this site for the shim clutch either.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts