My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm Victor. New here to this section but have been on the forum for years with my ford lgt 18h. Anyway just purchased a 444 in pretty good shape(not sure what year yet) but runs well. Needs a new mower pto belt and a small oil spray coming from somewhere on the back right of engine to fix. But otherwise good and has the rear pto.
So first question. The drive lever. It will stay in place at neutral or full forward/reverse. Anywhere else it slowly returns to neutral. Is there a wear part that can be replaced without replacing or rebuilding the entire valve?
It comes with a sleeve hitch but it doesn't raise/lower. I presume there's supposed to be a bar connecting a pin on the deck raiser? to a pin on the right side of the hitch( it looks like it rides on a puppy or wheel in there). I just got it I haven't gotten a good look at it as I had people over right after I bought it until dark. If that's a case are there dimensions anywhere available so I can make one?
Thanks

·
Registered
455 Posts
Congrats on your 444. I have a 446 and I'm having fun with it. Put up some pictures when you can.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's tomorrow's task. Give it a good look over and some pictures

·
Registered
24 Posts
WELCOME TO THE CASE FORUM VICTOR.
There is nothing wrong with the valve. On the left side of the steering wheel you have the TRAVEL LEVER. That lever has a rod sticking out of it. That rod slides over a SERRATED plastic block that is bolted to the Underside of the dashboard. If you look at the dash, you will see the heads of the two carriage bolts that secure it. Over time the serrations wear wear down and no longer grip that metal rod. In addition, that plastic block is also the Neutral Safety Switch that prevents the starter motor from spinning, UNLESS the Travel Lever is in Neutral.

I suggest that you remove that switch and replace it with a brand new one, If you do not have a parts source, then just say so and I will give contact information so you can buy one on line and get it mailed to you.

2nd issue. You are missing the lift bar for the sleeve hitch. This have bends in them so I suggest that you just order a new one from the dealer. There are several types, depending upon the Serial number of your tractor. If you record the PIN off the ID plate on the lower right side of the dash column, I will help you identify the lift bar you need..

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's awesome thanks. I have a kubota dealer just down the road and a case dealer on my way to work. I will check with them.
yeah I saw pictures online of the sleeve hitch that it did have some bends in it. I didn't think you'd be able to order that part separately

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've read that thanks. That is a useful site and I always go to it whenever I see an interesting machine that I know nothing about.
Strangely nom of the serial number lookup sites shows my number on the information plate

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I knew it was an older one by the hydraulic reservoir mounted in front of the motor. But I wasn't sure what year. That will definitely help for finding parts. Like right now I need a mower belt. Not sure what size.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your tractor is an early 1972. It has the Snap Fast attachment mounting system (the two spring loaded pins on the front of the frame) but the Kohler is hard-mounted to the frame. The rubber isolation mounts did not happen until 1973.

PARTS SOURCE
Barneveld Implement, Inc. (608) 924-1662
P.O. BOX 38 499 E. Industrial Drive, Barneveld, Wisconsin 53507

TALK TO BILL OR CHARLIE

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you. Do any canadian suppliers exist do you know of? Will a case dealer supply parts to these? Thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
I do not know of a single source of supply for Case garden tractor parts in Canada. In fact, very few American Case dealers have access to those parts. For all intents and purposes, the Case/Ingersol line of tractors is a dead issue. There are only a half dozen places that still have access to parts. Some of them are bandits and cannot be trusted but a few are honourable sources. I have given you one that should meet your needs.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Vicv,

I have an Ingersoll 4018, Onan 18 in it.

Parts are available but they come at a price.

If you can find a parts tractor cheap, grab it, although it won't be the metal parts that wear out, break, etc. these machines are built like a tank on the metal side.

My other machine is a JD 455.

CCMoe

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I called barnveld. Thanks. He had one and is just putting a shipping quote together for me. I'm still not sure if I have a use for the sleeve hitch but why not get it working?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts