My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just picked up a new to me 1998 345 with only 627 hours. This is going to be my new mowing machine.
Been doing some cleaning and replacing parts for the past couple weeks.

So far, I removed the rear fender deck and fuel tank and pressure washed the entire machine.
New tires, seat, newer seat suspension, carburator, fuel lines, fuel filter, fuel pump and oil change.
It didn't need tires. The tread was good on all of them, but one front tire had 2 plugs and one rear was mis-matched.
Changing the fuel pump to get the one with the drain hose. Seat was original, so that had to go.

Spent some time figuring out why the engine was flooding out after 10-20 minutes of mowing, which is why the previous owner traded for a new mower. The choke adjustment screw was causing it to choke when it wasn't in the choke position. Just needed to be turned back a bit. Starts and runs perfectly now.

Will be doing more to it as needed in the next few months. Pretty clean low hour machine overall, even before the new parts. Paint is really nice other than a few scratches. Here are a few pics.

Attachments

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,796 Posts
Nice acquisition GT275. Very nice and clean, excellent diagnostic work on the choke issue and safety issue of the fuel pump drain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Very nice looking 345, these really are nice looking machines. If you don’t mind me asking, how much did this unit cost you?

Just curious as I spent 650 on my non running model. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The 345 is a great machine and you will love using it. Bone up on the "Plastic cam" issue because you have one with the plastic cam. Do-it-yourself is about $350, paying to have it done is over $700. There are a lot of self-help videos on the subject.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 345 is a great machine and you will love using it. Bone up on the "Plastic cam" issue because you have one with the plastic cam. Do-it-yourself is about $350, paying to have it done is over $700. There are a lot of self-help videos on the subject.
Already have a 2005 gx345 for 10 years now. That one only had 124 hours on it when I bought it. Had a 2000 345 about 4 years ago and sold it to get the X485.
Aware of the cam issue, but price was right on the tractor, so taking my chances. Any way to get the parts for less?

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
The $350 kit has everything in it that you need to replace the parts completely. Some people leave out the new valve springs and valves but for the few dollars they cost it doesn't make much sense. Also, the water pump and the oil pump gear should be replaced. They are about $30 total for the two. I am only telling you what I have seen on eBay since they seem to be the cheapest place. If you go through Kawa they may be cheaper. The good news is that it isn't an interference valve system so no or very little damage will occur when it drops some teeth.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rudy,
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So finally got around to taking some pictures of the mostly finish restore on my 1998 345. Couple more minor things I want to do to it. Engine has been running great since I replaced and adjusted the carb and installed the new fuel pump.

Just purchased a brand new OEM John Deere hood and decals. Put the newer style steering wheel from my x485 on the 345 and will eventually get a new one for that. I like the thicker rim on the newer tractors. Also tightened up the axle pivot nut because the axle was a bit sloppy. Might have to replace the right side ball joint end, but wasn't too bad. All is good now.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
You are gonna miss that front "Bumper" if you don't get a real steel one to protect it. I call them a "Bump" because it only takes one bump to break it or worse, push it into the lower two corners of the side panels. Then we are talking about real money! I had an old power washer with a powder-coated handle that was all one piece. It was a one-inch tube that just happened to be the same width as the GT 275 frame. I cut the two side pipes off about 4-inches from the crossbar, flattened them out with my vise and then drilled holes to match the frame holes. Bolted it on and it looks like factory and cost me zero. Of course, it is black. Great job on the resto! That thing looks like new.

·
Registered
402 Posts
gt275, you will get wise after you make the mistake and trash (crack) that new hood and those new front bumpers. I know, Been There.... after I cracked my hood on the 345, I got educated real fast and bought this dude for $140.00 and since no more cracked bumper and hood.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Most people look at that front end and think, "Oh well, it might break the little bumper but no biggie". The problem is that it can and will push into the side panels and crack them. Been there and done that too! For a C note and change, you will be protecting a $700 investment. Here two pics of the power washer handle I used to make a bumper for the GT 235. I'll let the new owner decide if he wants the green thing too. I used two bolts and notched the lower part to go around the existing bracket to give the bumper a little vertical stiffness.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Great looking tractor.
I miss my 345 (sniffle sniffle).
Thanks mikgran.
That is exactly why I was looking for another one for mowing duties. I was using the gx345 year round, but got tired of installing and removing the cab and blower every season.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gt275, you will get wise after you make the mistake and trash (crack) that new hood and those new front bumpers. I know, Been There.... after I cracked my hood on the 345, I got educated real fast and bought this dude for $140.00 and since no more cracked bumper and hood.

I had one of these on my gx345, but sold it when I decided to use that tractor for snow blowing only. The snow blower is the bumper now. lol
I will have to look into this again in the near future.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts