My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
While investigating what it might take to put a hydraulic angling cylinder on this tractor, I found that my hitch was bent pretty badly. The previous owner had plowed with the blade locked in dozer mode. The top plate of the yoke had pushed up away from the web. I straightened everything up an fully welded it. I then tried to paint it in 55* weather. These pics are after only the first couple coats. It did end up looking quite a bit better after 4-5 coats.

Also, the previous owner plowed with the deck on it and it has a lot of surface rust. I'm going to sandblastand paint it to keep it from getting worse.

I raided TSC for all 6 cans that they had.
Paint.jpg

I can't paint in the garage. I have a '02 Trans Am WS6 covered up and put away for the winter.
Hitch_6.jpg Hitch_5.jpg

This was after only the first couple coats.
Hitch_1.jpg Hitch_4.jpg

I hang parts over the heater to help them dry.
Hitch_7.jpg Hitch_8.jpg Hitch_9.jpg

Deck_2.jpg Deck_1.jpg

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
The website in this link has better(more legible) diagrams than most. You may find it useful when working on stuff that has obliterated or missing parts.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
That where I've been going. I ordered my pedal bushing from them and am putting another order together now.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
That where I've been going. I ordered my pedal bushing from them and am putting another order together now.
Before buying pedal bushings, you should have looked here:

Good site for good diagrams, but I get better prices from my local dealer and I think there are multiple other online places that have better prices.

I usually get PN there and then Google Search for a better price, but usually my dealer is close to or better price and I LIKE my dealer. YMMV.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Before buying pedal bushings, you should have looked here:

I know better now. Maybe I'll measure all the new plastic ones and order them in bronze.

·
Super Moderator
7,013 Posts
I know better now. Maybe I'll measure all the new plastic ones and order them in bronze.
The paper thin plastic bushing ODs don't translate to BFB because the BFBs are thicker.
I did mine using Joel's tutorial but I didn't re-drill the linkages for the hairpin clips. I ground the BFBs length a little bit and used the factory pin holes.

Check post #79 for the bushing change and post #90 to speed up the tractor. My 3205 will pop wheelies and run 9mph now.

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I provided measurements and part #s that you will need. If you find a better place to buy, than Aircraft Spruce, please advise where in that post.

NOTE: Steve and I have been in the vast majority of 3000 Series posts for several years. Advanced search with either of our names will pull up a lot 3000 Series threads.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
A lot of the discussion about these mods are documented in other threads. I am linking to all of those. I want to document my progress here for future reference and maybe make it easier for someone else coming behind me to find all of this info. Hopefully I can add something to the forum here in payment for all the help I'm getting.

As shown above, I have repaired and repainted my front hitch. I'm waiting on new bushings and a sheet of UHMW to replace the stab plates. UHMW Sheet
3000 series front hitch - with poor or NO maintenance - I will save it

I have also ordered bronze bushings for the pedal assemblies. The bushings are coming from Aircraft Spruce.
3/ea - FF520-10 - 3/8 ID - Front Connecting Rod, Rear Connecting Rod, Rear Control Rod (Also bought FF520-15 to compare)
2/ea - FB1012-04 - 5/8 ID -Reverse Shaft
1/ea - FB1214-06 - 3/4 ID - Cruise Plate
3/ea - FF620-01 - Diff Lock Shaft, Lift Link - (Also bought FB810-08 to compare)
Bronze Flange Bushings for Cub Cadet 3000 series controls

I have also ordered springs and O-rings to rebuilt the spool valves. I ordered the O-rings from McMaster Carr.
9452K19 - Dash number 011 Hydraulic line O-rings
5288T117 -Dash number 011 Hydraulic line Backup rings
9452K57 - Dash number 013 O-rings
9262K234 - 11mx16mm Spool Valve O-rings
Rebuilding Cub Cadet 3000 Series Hydraulic Valves

Once these jobs are completed, I will be removing and disassembling the rear axle in order to Loctite the ring gear bolts. I have new axle seals on the way in preparation for this job.
Axle seals for Cast Iron 3000 Series Cub Cadet Axles

Here's a discussion about tires, specifically for snow traction.
Plowing snow without chains???

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I like the idea of including the links to make it easier for others to find info. Over the years, I have spent a LOT of time searching for info and I have a long favorites list.

For quite a while, I have made it my practice to include "Cub Cadet 3000 Series" as part of the topic of every 3000 Series thread that I post. I think/hope(not certain) that doing this may make it more likely that it will pull up on a Google Search.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
More parts plus a little progress.

I made the stab plates by drilling with a 2" hole saw and then tracing the outer shape into the UHMW and then cutting them out with a jig saw. I then finished them out with a belt sander.

20210303_174030.jpg 20210303_184150.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I then moved to removing the fenders and cleaning it up in preparation for the new bushings. The two reverse pedal bushings appear to be the only two in that assembly that are bad. I'll still do them all though. I also noticed that the bushings on the hydraulic levers are really worn.

20210304_184134.jpg 20210304_184140.jpg 20210304_184142.jpg 20210304_184222.jpg 20210304_192033.jpg 20210304_192039.jpg 20210304_192047.jpg

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Here's another one, not mine.

3240_1.jpg 3240_2.jpg

·
Premium Member
914 Posts
I may be misrembering. I looked at a photo of Steve's and just did a quick g search that showed others w/o. I would have sworn mine has them, but will take a look to make sure.

·
Super Moderator
7,013 Posts
I may be misrembering. I looked at a photo of Steve's and just did a quick g search that showed others w/o. I would have sworn my has them, but will take a look to make sure.
I dont think any 3240s do. Special rear decal has fake reflective taillights.

Reactions: blsnelling
21 - 40 of 163 Posts