My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've lurked for a while and tinkered with a few tractors but finally got a good tractor 1982 John Deere 317 seems to run nice and everything works good I only have one question my neck is nosed down and it doesn't look right. Is there a way to fix it if it needs fixed?

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
..... Oh, your DECK is nosed down, didn't what you meant at first. You should be able to tighten the bolts on the front arms to level the deck. Nice looking 317. I'm sure Katt will be forgiving because this is your first post, but later he will insist on one thing being addressed on your tractor (I'm not going to let you in on the inside joke just yet but I will offer a hearty WELCOME TO THE FORUM!):MTF_wel2:

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
The tip of the center blade should be about 1/8" lower than the back tip of the outer blades to get a level cut. If they are a lot lower, your center blade will cut lower than your outer blades and your lawn will look like they are cut in strips at different heights. Loosen the nuts on the rods connecting the mule to the deck. Remove the mule from the tractor and dicconnect the mule from the deck. Then screw the ends clockwise on the rods to raise the front or counter clockwise to lower the front. Be sure to turn each side the same amount of turns.

Note that sometimes if you have a low tire, your deck won't lift as high on that side. Just a note from experience.

·
Premium Member
31,647 Posts
Nice 317, congrats. Like Steve said, you should be able to raise the front or lower the rear of the deck.

And don't worry about Katt, he is getting older and more forgiving on the little things.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
detach the front of the mower from the mule drive. Loosen the jamb nuts on the mules arms and turn the u shaped things in. This raises the front.

There are two brackets ( one threaded) connecting the rockshaft to the lift arms to adjust level side to side .
When finished leveling set your mower height with the knob in front of the seat and set the gauge wheels about 1/4" off the ground. recheck level and adjust accordingly.
When your done the mowers weight should hang from the tractor , not rest on the mowers gauge wheels

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Uh, I dont know if Katt is that forgiving. Its a nice clean looking 317, just the kind you would expect to have a _____ ______ on it.... If it was beat up, maybe Katt would forgive..

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
After looking at your pics again, it appears the mule drive is not properly mounted to the 317.

There are upper and lower pins on each side of the mule, and upper and lower corresponding notches on the 317 frame. It appears your mule is hung with the top pins in the bottom notches of the frame. That would allow the mule to swing toward the rear of the 317 and lower the front of the deck.

The face of the mule drive should be straight up and down, not tipped like in the pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I meant deck **** typo's always get me mind moves faster than my fat fingers!

I know its missing the emblem and it will remain naked for a little while till I get it gone over and then I will replace it.

I'll check the Mule drive out tomorrow hopefully it will be a little warmer than in the morning than it was this morning. I really hope its mounted wrong because it doesn't hardly pick up, front drags in my gravel drive with the deck all the way up, and no I don't have the pto en-gauged on the drive.

I think that its a series 1 Kohler, tractor's serial number is 201608 which if i read right makes it a 1982 tractor. I haven't taken anything off of it yet side panels were off when I got it though, where is the serial on the engine?

Any where I can get a manual besides John Deere?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,672 Posts
After looking at your pics again, it appears the mule drive is not properly mounted to the 317.

There are upper and lower pins on each side of the mule, and upper and lower corresponding notches on the 317 frame. It appears your mule is hung with the top pins in the bottom notches of the frame. That would allow the mule to swing toward the rear of the 317 and lower the front of the deck.

The face of the mule drive should be straight up and down, not tipped like in the pics.
:ditto: and looks like you are also missing the Tension knob. I have it circled the picture.
Land vehicle Vehicle Tractor Tire Automotive tire

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you Sonny, does the guard do anything besides being a guard? I know the safety stuff needs to be in place but there don't seam to be any parts available only complete drives. Found the knob on ebay and I'll get it ordered, but there is no way I'm buying a whole drive for the guard I'd sooner fab one if I can get some dimensions from someone. I think I've been bitten by the 300 series bug....I really like this tractor.

Thanks again for all the help.
Matt

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
It has a tension scale on it for adjusting the belt. You should be fine without it. You could just double nut the tensioner and turn it with a wrench.

Mower down, tighten the belt , put your thumb and pointer finger around the belt, halfway between the mule and deck pully. Should be able to move the belt about 1/2" before your fingers slip off. Just make sure the belt isn't rolled over on the pullies.

Good Luck

·
26,672 Posts
thank you Sonny, does the guard do anything besides being a guard? I know the safety stuff needs to be in place but there don't seam to be any parts available only complete drives. Found the knob on ebay and I'll get it ordered, but there is no way I'm buying a whole drive for the guard I'd sooner fab one if I can get some dimensions from someone. I think I've been bitten by the 300 series bug....I really like this tractor.

Thanks again for all the help.
Matt
I will try to get some pictures of my mule tomorrow since it is off the Tractor. :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
39,210 Posts
Well if your land is flat you shouldn't have any issue with the series 1 engine. JD replaced a lot of them with the Series II or Onan P218 if they failed but it was an issue that had to do with working on an angle for a period of time. The series I isn't fully pressure lubricated.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Nice 317. I like the seat cover. :fing32: I only seen 1 other on here...it was mine. My X475 has 1 as well. When I showed pics of mine I asked for honest opinions... Alot of honest people on here. :trink40:

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
My 317 mule drive came missing the knob too. I replaced the stock double threaded rod with a grade 8 fine thread bolt about 4" long. I turn it with a wrench to tighten it. I'd get a picture but it's buried under a tarp out back somewhere until spring.

·
26,672 Posts
Nice 317. I like the seat cover. :fing32: I only seen 1 other on here...it was mine. My X475 has 1 as well. When I showed pics of mine I asked for honest opinions... Alot of honest people on here. :trink40:
I have the Seat cover on mine also. Photo op time, sorry Bosox.
Vehicle Yellow Lawn Lawn mower Mower

Land vehicle Vehicle Soil Automotive tire Tire

Vehicle Lawn Tractor Grass Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Lawn Grass

1 - 20 of 27 Posts