My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

Let me introduce myself: I'm Jeff, from Pleasant Garden, NC.

Yesterday I purchased this 210. I don't know much about older JD tractors, but I knew that I didn't want a piece of junk plastic mower that you see everywhere these days. Plus these old tractors just have a lot of character that the newer machines don't have.

I'm pretty good with a wrench, but all of my experience has been with cars, never small engines... I restored a 1973 Toyota FJ40 starting when I was about 15 years old. Then I wrenched on a 1968 Chevy C10 for a few years. I've since sold both and have gotten into motorcycles, nothing fancy, just for fun.

Now I've got a 30+ year old lawn tractor sitting in my car port and the grass is getting higher and higher in the front yard!

What are some of the most common areas that need to be addressed with these machines before they're really ready to be put back to work?

I've already read a lot on this site and intend to replace all the drive belts and put gator blades on it.

I'm ready and willing to rebuild the carb if it needs it, do the rings, etc.

It doesn't seem low on compression, but it's hard to tell until I can put it under load.

Today I was driving my boys around the yard and I did notice that it wanted to hesitate real bad at random, and one time it even belched out a pretty good sized cloud of black smoke before resuming its course... Not sure whether that's due to old/dirty gas, or what.

Anyways, I'd love to hear thoughts on what a good once-over would include before putting her back to work this summer. My plan right now is to use it this season and then really tear into it over the winter as well as addressing some of the cosmetic issues and any other more in-depth fixes that might come up.

Here's some eye-candy for you!!!

Riding around

He's mad that his brother is holding the steering wheel

Happy boys

Ready to roll

Old ride, meet new ride

·
Super Moderator
13,365 Posts
Welcome to MTF!

I don't know a lot about the 200 series so I can't be of a huge help there, but it might be very beneficial to get the service manual. These Kohlers are pretty hardy engines.

Your two boys look they they will enjoy it :) congrats on the 210 and I am sure oth folks will be along to gets swear your questions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mrbeef!

I've already ordered the service manual after seeing someone suggesting it on another thread. I got it from here.

I've also seen several folks emphasize the importance of getting OEM JD belts when replacing drive belts, etc. Does anyone know if the belts sold at Keeping it Green are OEM JD belts? If not, do I have to get them from a dealer? or is there another site that carries things like this? Thanks.

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
Id go to a dealer just in case. Nice new-to-you tractor! :fing32:

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Thanks Mrbeef!

I've already ordered the service manual after seeing someone suggesting it on another thread. I got it from here.

I've also seen several folks emphasize the importance of getting OEM JD belts when replacing drive belts, etc. Does anyone know if the belts sold at Keeping it Green are OEM JD belts? If not, do I have to get them from a dealer? or is there another site that carries things like this? Thanks.
Check You Private Message inbox

BTW Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Penn State Puller!
2,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another 210 owner. I bought my 210 last year, when I was 14. I love it. I'm currently restoring it. You seem to know a good bit if info on the tractor already. Just do the regular maintenance, check the belts and blades, etc. The good thing about the old Deere's is that they're strong and versatile and parts are readily available. You can spruce yours up with ag tires, a sleeve hitch, hydraulic or electric lift, a lift assist spring (for the manual lift), a tiller, a blade, a snowblower, and several other options. They can handle a variety of tasks. The Kohler K series are great motors. The 10 HP is real strong. The gear drive is also great for hills and rough terrain. My 210 is also my rough terrain and mudding tractor. Variable speed comes in handy.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Looks like your going to need another JD to keep peace in the family !
Go through the fuel system first. Remove the tank and clean it, replace all the lines and filter, clean the carb and start with new fresh gas.
Change oil, change gear oil and see what you've got.

If the engine is tired, find a 14 or 16 hp Kohler rather than mess with putting money in the 10 hp.
Some are going to come along and disagree about that but take my word for it- you will be happier with more ponies ! You could be building the replacement motor while still running the 10.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see another 210 owner. I bought my 210 last year, when I was 14. I love it. I'm currently restoring it.
Thanks man, cool to see someone so young getting their hands dirty. I started out when I was still knee-high to a grasshopper holding the flashlight for my dad and now my boys are doing the same for me. Keep it up!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts