My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally broke down and bought the tractor I've dreamed of owning for many years. It's a 2011 X748 with 527 hours and the 54C mowing deck. I spent the morning adding my quarter turn lockout valve, and converting my 4x5 series front quick hitch to the X7 series style with the Auxillary Hydraulics conversion kit. I also added set of wheel weights and my rear weight bracket from my 445, so I'm now ready for the snow. And just because I could, I adjusted the seat for maximum travel and height, as I'm tall and can appreciate the adjustments.

So begins the hunt for attachments. I have a front blade, but wouldn't mind a 46" snowblower...and of course a cab I suppose. I have a MCS 519 for my 445, so I'll need to find the right PowerFlo blower and double pulley for the 54C deck. I'd like to find a front thatcher some day as well. In addition, a loader is on my "someday" list, but I'm prepared to jump on a deal if I find one.

I haven't really got to use it yet. I store it in an enclosed trailer and backing it up the wooden ramp was a breeze. My 445 could only make it in reverse with maximum momentum and the differential lock engaged. What a treat is was to "crawl" up the ramp into the trailer without losing traction...and it was even raining and wet. I know everyone likes pics, so I'll add one from when I got it home.

Attachments

·
Registered
822 Posts
Congrats!! It sure is pretty! The X748 is a heck of a machine. Depending on how big your driveway is, I'd be looking for a 54" blower.. it can handle it easily.

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
Well, I finally broke down and bought the tractor I've dreamed of owning for many years. It's a 2011 X748 with 527 hours and the 54C mowing deck. I spent the morning adding my quarter turn lockout valve, and converting my 4x5 series front quick hitch to the X7 series style with the Auxillary Hydraulics conversion kit. I also added set of wheel weights and my rear weight bracket from my 445, so I'm now ready for the snow. And just because I could, I adjusted the seat for maximum travel and height, as I'm tall and can appreciate the adjustments.

So begins the hunt for attachments. I have a front blade, but wouldn't mind a 46" snowblower...and of course a cab I suppose. I have a MCS 519 for my 445, so I'll need to find the right PowerFlo blower and double pulley for the 54C deck. I'd like to find a front thatcher some day as well. In addition, a loader is on my "someday" list, but I'm prepared to jump on a deal if I find one.

I haven't really got to use it yet. I store it in an enclosed trailer and backing it up the wooden ramp was a breeze. My 445 could only make it in reverse with maximum momentum and the differential lock engaged. What a treat is was to "crawl" up the ramp into the trailer without losing traction...and it was even raining and wet. I know everyone likes pics, so I'll add one from when I got it home.
Well here is the best soft Cab for your X748 https://www.originalcab.com/Original-Tractor-Cab-X400-X500HD-X700-Series-Hard-top-Cab-Enclosure-John-Deere-11930.html someone On the forum has a 45 loader for sale https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/grd/7022031847.html I don't know if they Have the Original sub frame or Not https://www.mytractorforum.com/83-sale-wanted-buy-your-location/1341157-45-loader-x-series.html

Here our the Part Number You will need to add any Loader to your X748
BW15044 TRANSAXLE HYDROSTATIC RELIEF VALVE 4WD or AWD
M146148 free-wheeling valve control lever is also required. 2WD or 4WD & AWD and

BW15044 is still available It's about $161.00 It was replaced By AM122228 But that costs about $220.00 Plus for the same valve

Well congrats on Joining the Red Cap club:thThumbsU

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sweet upgrade...congrats. Put some extensions on that blade and have at it before you go all in on a blower and cab.

·
Premium Member
9,170 Posts
Congratulations on the X748. You will love it! Welcome to the club. Just send us a few measurements and we'll have your jacket made.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, guys. I've been contemplating the blade extensions the last few days and will likely buy a set. I do have quite a bit of asphalt including a circle drive. The wind is crazy strong and swirly typically, so the cab is a must if I ever get a blower. I saw that loader for sale but not sure I can swing that much, though all the extras that come with it are nice.

The tractor does have some gouging on the left fender as it apparently got tangled up with a chain link fence at some point. I haven't decided how/when and to what extent I'll touch that up. My neighbor is a welding wizard...has anyone changed the configuration of the pins and attachment bar on the 4x5 quick hitch to match the x700 style so the deck can stay on with the hitch? I'd like to add a quick hitch mount thatcher. By looking at it, it seems one would just have to basically swap the bar to to the top and the pins to the bottom?

I'll need a 46 or 48 long jacket. :tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Nice! I have the very similar X595 & I have wings on my snow blade, Tractor only stops for pictures & coffee

·
Super Moderator
15,257 Posts
Thanks, guys. I've been contemplating the blade extensions the last few days and will likely buy a set. I do have quite a bit of asphalt including a circle drive. The wind is crazy strong and swirly typically, so the cab is a must if I ever get a blower. I saw that loader for sale but not sure I can swing that much, though all the extras that come with it are nice.

The tractor does have some gouging on the left fender as it apparently got tangled up with a chain link fence at some point. I haven't decided how/when and to what extent I'll touch that up. My neighbor is a welding wizard...has anyone changed the configuration of the pins and attachment bar on the 4x5 quick hitch to match the x700 style so the deck can stay on with the hitch? I'd like to add a quick hitch mount thatcher. By looking at it, it seems one would just have to basically swap the bar to to the top and the pins to the bottom?

I'll need a 46 or 48 long jacket. :tango_face_wink:
We have a Member here that Produces a Kit I think it's this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/CUSTOM-De-Thatcher-Bracket-fits-John-Deere-Quick-Hitch-X700-series-4x5-series/254264687504?hash=item3b335b3b90:g:u6cAAOSw2GlXKjss:sc:USPSPriority!60184!US!-1 BTW where In IL are You?

If a full loader is not In the Cards here is a IL company That Produces a High Lift slip Bucket https://www.littlebuckloader.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-KHLp4GW5gIVy8DACh0irAglEAAYAiAAEgLOivD_BwE they Produce it In Sycamore, IL Near Dekalb, IL I would still suggest getting this
BW15044 TRANSAXLE HYDROSTATIC RELIEF VALVE 4WD or AWD
M146148 free-wheeling valve control lever Even for the Little Buck or even a Johnny Bucket Sr:thThumbsU

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the links @Sergeant I'm near Sterling, IL. One of my intended uses for the loader would be to put in/take out my docks and lifts with a boom. They are all aluminum so not as heavy as it sounds.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I have the thatcher bracket that Sergeant posted a link to. It works great and its cheaper than the manual bracket that deere sells.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,252 Posts
I really doubt the need for rear wheel weights with the blower. 4WD is pretty formidable compared to 2WD with lots of weight.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My new to me (in 2018) 2013 X748.
In the picture, I had just finished installing the OTC cab that Sergeant mentioned, but hadn't gotten the lights or windshield wiper installed. They were calling for 6"+ snow that weekend, so at minimum I wanted the cab on! For reference purposes, I live about 200miles north of y'all, in Wisconsin, along Lake Michigan. I have both the 54" blade and the 47" blower, as well as the 54" mower deck for mine. I have about 500' of county highway frontage that I clear in winter (the mailboxes are on our side of the highway), and I have yet to run into snow that I couldn't clear. I have 6 suitcase weights hanging off the back, but no chains or wheel weights.

The biggest problem that I have with it, was this past week. NOAA said we got 6" of snow. In reality, we had about 3" of slushy, packy snow. I used the blade, because the top layer of gravel/lawn was soft from all the rain, prior to the snow. The blade had a tendency to dig in to the ground and, I had to be REAL careful when I got to the grass borders. Even then, there was minimal wheel spin. Running down the gravel shoulder at 1/2 throttle (I make three passes) no wheel spin and she didn't even grunt! The best part? This x748 SIPS fuel, compared to the x540 it replaced!

Congrats! You will LOVE this machine!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Very nice @Shack01 I’m most excited about apparently not needing chains. I don’t like scuffing up the drive which is pretty hard to avoid with a two wheel drive machine even being careful. I’ve got my eye on a few attachments in the next town over, but the seller isn’t sure he wants to separate the package deal with the tractor yet.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Well, wouldn't you know it. I no more than got my 4x5 series quick hitch adapted to work and a nice X series quick hitch and blade came up for sale at the right price. It just needs a bath, and I'll probably swap my cutting edge from my other plow as that only has about 1.5 seasons on it. I also ordered a set of plow extensions, so I'll really be all set when those arrive.
54 Blade.jpg

·
Super Moderator
15,074 Posts
Looks like everything is coming together for you. That's not many hours for that year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts