My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this non-working 345 today with a 54" deck. The tractor currently has no spark, so I was going to order 2 new coils for it - but after some research, I opted to order #AM128906 - the Time Delay Module. Worst case I'll still get two new coils. Overall - I am excited to get it running and give it a whirl. I got it for what I felt was a pretty good price, so hopefully it turns out to be a decent machine. I believe its got the 18 HP Kawasaki with 608 hours on it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
They are great tractors my first was 1998 345 and we did some big projects with it over 7 years. It had 3170 hours on it when I sold it to a neighbor that still has it. In 2005 I bought a GX345 and since then I have 1920 hours on it I just sold this one in 2018 when I needed something easier to change mower deck on.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase.

I don't believe your model year has a TDM. Most likely the spark igniter, rare for both coils to fail at once. Could also be a weak battery or a problem with the ignition board.

I'd highly suggest some troubleshooting before throwing parts at it and introducing new variables.

Reactions: rickyracer583

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Congratulations on the new purchase.

I don't believe your model year has a TDM. Most likely the spark igniter, rare for both coils to fail at once. Could also be a weak battery or a problem with the ignition board.

I'd highly suggest some troubleshooting before throwing parts at it and introducing new variables.
Correct, he has an FD590V and the TDM is for FD611V. He does have two ignition coils, and igniter, and a pair of pickup (pulse) coils, replaced as a set. If I had good used parts to swap (meaning cost wasn't an issue), I'd try the igniter first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How does it sound when cranking? I hope it doesn't need a replacement cam gear.

It sounds normal to me - what would one with a bad gear sound like? I read about the gear - but since it sounded fine, I wasn't the most worried.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Well thank you Denver Guy and Trent of Destiny, I saw that tidbit on the TDM and it was cheap, so I grabbed one from Amazon to try. I'll stop it before it even gets here. When you say the "igniter" - do you mean one of these? Amazon.com : New Ignitor for AM105574 JD Equipment, for Kawasaki 21119-2157, Tractors, LAWNMOWERS, 14D, Fits FD501V FD620D & More : Garden & Outdoor
That's an igniter, not sure if it's the correct one

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Well thank you Denver Guy and Trent of Destiny, I saw that tidbit on the TDM and it was cheap, so I grabbed one from Amazon to try. I'll stop it before it even gets here. When you say the "igniter" - do you mean one of these? Amazon.com : New Ignitor for AM105574 JD Equipment, for Kawasaki 21119-2157, Tractors, LAWNMOWERS, 14D, Fits FD501V FD620D & More : Garden & Outdoor
That's it. If you don't go with the OEM, some of the aftermarket ones are junk.

Also, if you have a dead battery and are using a jump box, I'd replace the battery before assessing the ignition issues. Your engine uses an automotive-style CDI ignition with power coils, not magnetos like a lot of tractors. It needs clean power to generate a spark.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Might turn over faster and not sound as "lumpy" because it wouldn't be making compression.

Well - shoot - I don't know....I felt it sounded pretty smooth - but maybe that's a bad thing. I did re-verify that I have no spark on either coil. I'll take a video for the attempt to start to get your opinion on what it sounds like. (if you don't mind!)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's it. If you don't go with the OEM, some of the aftermarket ones are junk.

Also, if you have a dead battery and are using a jump box, I'd replace the battery before assessing the ignition issues. Your engine uses an automotive-style CDI ignition with power coils, not magnetos like a lot of tractors. It needs clean power to generate a spark.
The battery 'seems' okay. Admittedly it was included but seems strong. I have not put a voltmeter on it, but will do that momentarily.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The battery showed 12.45v - not super hot, so I'll throw a charger on there. As far as how it turns over, here is a video.....

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I am not convinced you could hear the plastic cam gear failing before it fails hard. Once it has failed, the valves will no longer work. Have you verified that the valves are moving up and down?

Not having spark would certainly cause the engine to not start. It is probably a good idea to adjust the valves. When you do that, you will be able to see them move as you rotate the engine. Make sure you have new gaskets for the valve covers.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The battery showed 12.45v - not super hot, so I'll throw a charger on there. As far as how it turns over, here is a video.....

Sounds just like mine. Except for mine starts. ;)

Agree with @Frogmore's suggestion to adjust the valves, however, I'm a believer in fixing one problem at a time. Fix the spark issue, get it running and then do full maintenance including adjusting the valves.

It's not a battery issue if it's cranking under its own power like that. Also, a failed cam will not cause it to not spark.

I would start diagnosing by seeing if there is 12v to the coils when the key is on.

Was this an auction purchase? Do you have any history from the PO?

Reactions: Rarefish383

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Sounds just like mine. Except for mine starts. ;)

Agree with @Frogmore's suggestion to adjust the valves, however, I'm a believer in fixing one problem at a time. Fix the spark issue, get it running and then do full maintenance including adjusting the valves.

It's not a battery issue if it's cranking under its own power like that. Also, a failed cam will not cause it to not spark.

I would start diagnosing by seeing if there is 12v to the coils when the key is on.

Was this an auction purchase? Do you have any history from the PO?

It was just posted on Facebook marketplace. The PO said that his family had several, this one didn't get used that much - and eventually quit working. He said it didn't have spark and said if I replaced the coil, I'd likely be good to go. When I saw that both sides didn't have spark, I didn't believe that the coil (they still could be) was the problem. **** I might have overpaid for the thing! I felt it was a good price with the 54" deck - but maybe I was wrong! I didn't know much about the 345

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Look at the circuit board and see if the green and red light is on.
Now - I am going to admit I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, but the only circuit board I am seeing right away is this one - and I don't see any LED's on it....

Additionally - I discovered this wire has been removed and taped off. Does anyone know what it went for and why anyone would do this?

·
Money Pit
837 Posts
Ok. That board does not have the lights and I'm not sure what the wires you found are. I'm unable to help any further at the moment because my tractor is 50 miles away.
On a good note you got a very good deal on the machine. Don't get discouraged things will come together. Absolutely fantastic tractors. Just to give you an idea of how valuable these machines are a good running used engine with 1,000 hours on it is worth $1,000.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts