My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm interested in your thoughts...

I moving onto a fairly irregular 2 acre property with decent slopes and a fair amount of trees. I need a tractor to mow, help remove leaves, and haul some wood and dirt around. I don't have a fixed budget as of now, but I want try to keep things under 5K.

I have a 50' driveway that I may want to snowblow with the tractor down the road, but in the interim I will use my airens snowblower to handle that job.

How would you spend my money? What would you steer away from and what would be a good option?

Maybe a X324?

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Bryan

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I would say X500 and nothing less, if you can stretch your budget. Otherwise you're better off looking at Husqvarna with a K66 - still not built as well as an X500 but a pretty decent machine. Or Cub Cadet with shaft drive.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Have you considered a Cub Cadet 2000 Series?
I have 2 acres in CT...1/2 of it wooded.
I've had mine since 2006, got a few attachments for it over the years.
I use it year round removing snow on a 100 ft driveway, mowing, hauling logs, it's moved several Tri-axle loads of top soil and stone.

·
Always Learning
2,158 Posts
Thought about getting a nice vintage machine? You can get some good ol' JD's for less than/about half of your budget. You can then use the rest of the money to put towards maintenance and more goodies!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was leaning away from vintage as I wanted to get something that u know the history of... I'd rather spend up front and be sure the appropriate maintenance has been done.

X500 was a but out of my price range. I like the price point of the x300 series but is the 500 that much superior? I doubt I'll ever use ground engagement other than to till a garden plot and I don't mind using a rental for that purpose.

How long could I expect an x300 or x500 to last given proper maintenance and service? I'm hoping for a 10-15 year product. Is this possible?

Don't get me wrong I'd love the 500 but I just don't know if I can swing the extra cash unless its a night and day difference...

Thoughts?

·
Rider on the Storm
892 Posts
I was leaning away from vintage as I wanted to get something that u know the history of... I'd rather spend up front and be sure the appropriate maintenance has been done.

X500 was a but out of my price range. I like the price point of the x300 series but is the 500 that much superior? I doubt I'll ever use ground engagement other than to till a garden plot and I don't mind using a rental for that purpose.

How long could I expect an x300 or x500 to last given proper maintenance and service? I'm hoping for a 10-15 year product. Is this possible?

Don't get me wrong I'd love the 500 but I just don't know if I can swing the extra cash unless its a night and day difference...

Thoughts?
The dealbreaker in your original post was the words "decent slopes". The K46 transaxle is the standard transmission for virtually all tractors in the sub-$3K range. In the world of JD, you'll have to go pretty deep into the X300 series (around $4K) to get into a higher quality, more robust transmission. That's why members are steering you to the X500 series and the R322T AWD models. The AWD Rider I posted is specifically made for irregular slopes (that is why I own one). To get AWD or 4WD from JD, you've got to get into the x7 series, and at that point you're looking at a very high price point. That's why I felt the R322T offers a lot of value at its $5K price.

The limiting factor in most tractors is the transmission. The K46 tranny is a good tranny if used for relatively light mowing tasks on pretty flat land... but I don't think that is your case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've read about the relatively poor quality of the trans in the lower x300 series. The x320 and 324 both have the K58 trans which I heard are much more robust.
Would the x320s be up to some hills?

·
22,330 Posts
The transmission is the heart and soul of any tractor. The more and heavier the work demanded requires a stronger transmission.

A limited budget puts a limit on the quality and capability of transmission that you can get for a new purchase, but it has the advantage of a warranty period.

The same budget for a vintage tractor will get you the biggest, toughest, and strongest transmission that was on the market, with the disadvantage of some parts being worn to where they need replacement and the possibility that some parts are NLA.

Your current list of tasks is such that a new tractor with a transmission within your budget will be satisfactory. However, times and tasks change, and a few years down the road, you may well be looking at a totally different list of tasks. A windstorm and 2 acres of trees could be what changes that list in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
Consider a Sears GT6000. they are equipped with the HydroGear G730 trans. this is a pretty stout unit and is serviceable. plus the go on sale all the time and often have zero percent financing.

its basically the same as the Huskies its even made in the same factory the front axle is cast iron and has lifetime warranty. the only issues I've had with mine is traction the Ag tires and weight fixed that though.

i have the big front blade, sleeve hitch, plow ect for mine and it pulls everything fine. the tight turn makes this thing increadable i can go 180deg in about the length of the wheelbase.

see the thread below about issues this guy has with his X300

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=335833

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've heard horror stories about the craftsman gts.

If I plop down 5k on an x500 can I expect to get 20 years of service if I care for the machine well?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
22,330 Posts
Barring being hit by a comet or driven off a cliff, yes.

There is a 2006 JD 485 running around the local mall with over 10,000 hours on the clock. That's the equivalent of 100 years of average annual hours of service, but it spends a lot of time idling or towing a small cart. It is very well maintained and still runs with the original engine.

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
I've heard horror stories about the craftsman gts.

If I plop down 5k on an x500 can I expect to get 20 years of service if I care for the machine well?

the X500 should last even if you beat it:)

about the craftsman, well there are some members here who work them hard and some with problems i suspect most of the horror stories are caused by the owners more than the machine. does it compare to an X500 NO! but for half the price and with the G730 trans dollar wise its a pretty good value.
whatever you get :wwp:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I guess it's time for me to head over to the dealer and go for a test drive...

Any suggestions on purchase strategy?
Are the prices negotiable or am I better off trying to bundle with a bagger or other accessory?

Which tires do I want?

Are there seasonal sales?

All help is appreciated.

Thanks

Bryan

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've read about the relatively poor quality of the trans in the lower x300 series. The x320 and 324 both have the K58 trans which I heard are much more robust.
Would the x320s be up to some hills?
JD had a manufacturers incentive/seasonal sale this past spring; I believe the x300 was +/- $2400 and the x320 was $3200-3400. I was all in on a x320 (instead of the x300) for your same concerns until I found a Craftsman CTX9500 at a Sears outlet for less. I am very happy with it on my 1+ acre, level front and moderate to steep sloped rearyard. $5400 in store price is too much. The outlet price was 3200; 2600 out the door using friends and family discount promo and new Sears card. Mine is the 26 HP with a K66, traction control and locking rear differential. It does not slip on me at all and hauls my 220+ frame up no problem. It also has a nice clean 52" cut too, no stripes like the Simplicity conquest it was cloned/rebadged from. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
If you didn't go yet and you're going for an X500 - get HDAP tires. Make the dealer put em on for free (mine did!)

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've had an X500 for 4 years now. Mowing 1+ acres, plowing snow (I am within 10 miles of 2 ski resorts), moved considerable top soil with no issues other than traction with the turf tires. The HDAP tires filled if possible will help a lot but you can always get chains as I did. I look forward to 20+ years of service. :fing32:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts