1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was given a model lI with a sickle bar mower attachment
Serial number m20303
Man number A-3707

Was wondering what Year it is and what common things should be looked at etc...
Seems to run well.... however heres the kicker. The exhaust flange was cracked and leaking really bad but after further investigation I found that the exhaust flange on the head or jug where the exhaust and gasket meet has corroded away and seems someone has already brazed a stud in at some point which also broke... I’m kinda assuming I’m looking at locating a new “jug”
Any thoughts and insight would be great. I’ve been a car mechanic for the past 15 years so I’m not afraid to work on it and frankly it just seems like with would be enjoyable to work on.
Thanks everyone:tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can only say that I have the sickle bar on my model 5000 , it is a great mower under trees, fences and along the pond. some guys do weld cast iron with success, nickel rod, keep it warm after welding with rags... I'm looking for a parts manual, I have an extra basket case 5460.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It looks like quite the cutting machine. Was planning to manage my pasture with it. Currently I've been putting bales up by hand for winter bedding for my chickens and ducks.
You have a spare basket? Is that head or jug I wrote about?
And I have heard that you can weld cast iron however this would need some serious forming etc...it deteriorated quite a bit

·
Super Moderator
15,242 Posts

·
5,207 Posts
Welcome! Enjoy your stay here! Lots of knowledgeable folks ready to help. Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts