My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
And then let the engine idle till the tank is done? That would take hours if i added it to a full tank though! I can't use it while its working since it surges so much that it misses half the grass I try to mow...
thanks for the quick reply

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
OK, I'll pick a can up in the morning and give it a try. I really hope it does the job. I'll keep yah posted
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
alright... the seafoam didn't help at all and now the engine only works when its on choke. when u take it off choke the tractor shuts off within a few seconds. I called john deere and they said its something with the carb, but the repair would be a couple hundred if we got it done. so i really want to figure out the problem myself and fix it ASAP.

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
i know the filter is fairly new, but try changing it anyway. you could have trash in the tank or even rotting fuel lines causing it to stop up. if you see black flakes in teh filter when you remove it, you will want to replace the entire fule line, from teh tank all teh way to the carb. the lines degrade from teh inside out, so you really won't see the problem until they are practically gone.

if the lines are degrading, you will likely need to remove the carb and clean all teh little orifices and jet with thin wire and compressed air. cause i bet you got flakes in the carb.

also, since it requires the choke to run that means you are runnign too lean, getting too much air. take a can of spray carb cleaner and spray the outside of the carb. you want the choke off as much as you can, to where it is surging. if it idles up and runs correctly for a moment when you spray an area, you just found the air leak. a new gasket or some permatex will solve that issue.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts