My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I just signed up to the forum because I thought it would be helpful to diagnose my tractor and find new things about them in general. I would like to say that the tractor was purchased at least 5 years ago new and all that has been done (until yesterday) was an oil change once... There are 80 hours. That is probably not a good idea. Anyway, the issue is that the engine sounds like its going to cut off and then it kicks back in. When you first turn it on it runs fine for 20 minutes (about) and then started cutting and coming back (sputtering maybe?). It came to a point that every time you turned on the mower and the engine was on its low (getting ready to cut off) it would just shut off. So yesterday I got new oil, oil filter, fuel filter, and spark plug. I changed everything but the fuel filter because the tank was pretty loaded and I didn't want gas all over the place. It is still doing that again (didn't drive it to a point where it would shut off), but I have no idea what is going on. The guy at the JD store told me that it could be the fuel cap (which I also tried to clean) and I even took it off for a few minutes to see if it would help the sputtering. It didn't. Do you guys think that the fuel filter could be causing it? Or is there something else I should be looking at. Any help would be appreciated because I got my front yard cut (barely) today and hope to do the back this weekend. I do know that we neglected maintenance so please refrain from yelling at me:Stop: .

Thanks
Kumar
P.S I checked the air filter and cleaned it it too...

·
JD318
990 Posts
:Welcome1:
No yelling here, but
since you have neglected some maintenance on it, I would start out with a good carb cleaning, and adding some Seafoam additive to you gas tank, to get rid of any fuel system crud that may have built up. If it sat around for any length of time, old gas can cause a variety of problems. Just take a small pliers or vise=grip and pinch off the gas line before the filter, than you can change it out w/o losing a bunch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hmm while some engine cleaner stuff work from autozone. I think I have some laying around.. one of those nice looking bottles that says improves fuel economy etc etc...

Thanks

EDIT: Also, how can I take out the carb? a little help?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
I second the Seafoam. My BIL who's very meticulous about maintaining all his stuff,
has a Cub Cadet "Tank" Zero turn that suddenly start spitting and sputtering and
after a tank of gas with Seafoam added he said he couldn't believe but it's
purring like a kitten.

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
change the fuel filter, it won't get gas everywhere since the tank is in teh back and it is fed via fuel pump. a few drops yes, but no major spills. if you like you can crimp off the fuel line with soem vise grips before you pull the filter.

as far as the carb, give the new filter a chance and shoot some carb cleaner down the throat before you go pulling it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alright.. I was looking in my garage and I have 2 black containers things that are STP brand engine cleaners. However the title is "fuel injector" cleaner or something and this has a carb. Will this help at all?

Also, can anyone answer the question on how do I get the carb out of this thing to clean it out?
Thanks

Edit: http://www.autobarn.net/chst-2075.html that is what I have in the garage

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just changed the fuel filter, but the old one was a old design and not clear so I couldn't tell at all if it was the problem or not. I will throw a splash of the STP stuff since there is only 1 gallon in the tank and I want to run that until its out so I can make sure fuel isnt the issue. I will keep you guys posted!
Thanks

P.S what would happen if i used the whole bottle on my tank LOL

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright guys, I think changing the fuel filter did the trick! I mowed the backyard Saturday with no issues (had the mulcher thing out so it threw the clippings), so now I should keep the thing maintained and get my blades sharped.. Thanks for your help guys. It worked this time and hopefully it works next week too. I will post back if it doesn't.
Thanks again

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GAH! My prblems just don't go away! I was mowing the lawn yesterday and about half way through cutting the front lawn my tractor just died. It was cutting perfectly fine and everything, but it just shut off. So I tried to start it up again, but it wont turn over. The thing trys, but it never fires up. It is like trying to start it not in choke for the first time in a day. Is my new issue the carb, if so can I just clean it out or do I have to "rebuild" it?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
32,136 Posts
If it just cuts off like that its electral. Look for a broken, or chaffed through wire. Also check any fuse holders, and all connections. You might also have a seat switch going bad. Are you moving around in the seat when it acts up? Like mowing around tree branches??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If it just cuts off like that its electral. Look for a broken, or chaffed through wire. Also check any fuse holders, and all connections. You might also have a seat switch going bad. Are you moving around in the seat when it acts up? Like mowing around tree branches??
fuses are good... well I just checked the one near the battery, but that one was good. Where else shoudl I check? Also, I was going around a tree on a hill, but don't know where the wires are for the seat switch and all. If the seat switch was bad wouldnt the tractor not even crank?
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, when I don't sit on the tractor and try to turn it on (with the parking brake on) it does the same thing, so it oculd be the sensor. How can i connect the wires to short it and make it think that i am sitting on it to test it out? There are a few pins on the plug, but i dont know which one is which. Help would be appreciated because I am about ready to send it to John Deere and let them charge me a crap load to get it fixed.. which I really prefer not to.
Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hello everyone again. The problem was solved back in may by givng the seat switch a little wiggle, however my tractor started giving me problems and i thought I would come back here again! The engine started to surge again and it was only a few months ago that i changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and cleaned out the carb. So I really don't know what happened now. I see the throtle move back and forth and i tried to rubber band it... it allowed me to mow the front lawn with constant power... but the power wasn't strong at all. I just did it because it was better then it surging to much (IMO). I was thinking of running some seafoam in it like someone mentioned earlier but should i empty the tank and pour it into the fuel line direct or what? I also sprayed some carb cleaner in the carb which helped a little but when i stopped spaying it right away started to surge again. Any help would be appreciated because I need to mow my whole back lawn.
Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts