My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently bough a pair of used (lightly) agg tires for my Power King 2414. Replacing the turf tires that were on it when I bought the machine a couple years back.

While I expect improved traction with the Agg tires I have also been considering loading the tires for additional traction. I have read and reread many of the posts on the forum covering the options such as Calcium chloride, beat juice (Rim Guard) and windshield washer fluid.

It seams that the weight advantage provided by calcium chloride is outweighed by the potential for rims ruined by rust. Beat juice has the advantage of being non toxic but at a cost. (On that note I did consider growing my own beats but find myself in the catch 22 that I can't grow the beats until I can plow and I can't plow until I load the wheels and can't load the wheels with beat juice until..... well I think you can see where this is going.)

Windshield washer fluid is an option but I do want to consider the environmental cost. Just because I spend hours on my tractor burning fuel and adding to the local noise pollution doesn't mean I don't care.

What to do, what to do?

So I went to the source of all knowledge, no not MTF, Google! I searched to find the specific gravity of various liquids. The Engineeringtoolbox.com if your interested. There I found a long list of liquids with their corresponding specific gravity listed.

Scanning the list I came across; Mercury at 13.633, Freon refrigerant R-11 at 1.480, Furan @ 1.421, Phosgene At 1.381. Hmm, Phosgene now that sounds good, 38% heavier than water, liquid at 0 Degree's. Needless to say upon further research I found that Phosgene had been used as a chemical weapon during WW1. I guess that qualifies as an environmental hazard.

How about Glycerin? At 26% heavier than water, that's a respectable, freezing temperature -36 F, non toxic! I think we're onto something here. This has real potential to replace all the other tire loading liquids. Further research shows it's readily available over the counter at WALGREENS or your friendly local pharmacy.

The only issue I have yet to figure out is how to stuff the suppositories into the valve stems on the tires. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I suspect you would be able to compress the suppositories in the barrel of a grease gun and inject them thru the valve stems under pressure.

The chief drawback of using this medical grade Glycerin as a tire filler would be if the tire blew out. The resulting ejection may well be extraordinary in nature.

Mike

·
Registered
92 Posts
I found a pallet for sale of RV anti-freeze. This is a non toxic anti-freeze used in RVs to winterize the watersystem. I mixed it per the instructions and used it in my 8N tires. 16 gal AF per tire with 16 gal of water at 8 lbs a gal of H2O. I forget the weight of the RV Anti-freeze. Just one option...

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts