My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m now the proud owner of a 1963 Super 90 Diesel. Photos to follow. I went to look at it yesterday and noticed a few things and thought I would ask more knowledgeable folks. First, this is the 4 cyl diesel (Perkins I believe) and although it’s old it appears to be fairly tight and it starts very easily. I was looking for the glow plugs but I guess I’m missing them as the previous owner just gave it a shot of ether and it fired right up. I always thought diesels needed glow plugs, any suggestions? Second is the 3 point hitch, when I get my photos up you will be able to see, but there is none. Is that something that I can add on later or is there a suitable sub? Where would one find such a beast. Has anyone found a good line on parts? Last but not least I have the workshop service manual but it has no wiring diagram. If I could find one that would help with the first question. When all is said and done she runs well and appears to have an abundance of power! This is my first tractor and from everything the 2200.00 was not a bad price. Looking forward to hearing from the folks in the group and hopefully I’ll be able to contribute something that will help someone some day.

John2459
[email protected]

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yes John. the Super 90 has the 302 cu.in. Perkins putting out around 60hp at the drawbar, no glow plugs or thermostart, they did have a crude optional cold start system that is basically a can of ether operated by a pull switch on dash. When using ether to start it use it very sparingly as it is bad for the motor. You could well have the WR Wheat/Rice model that didn't have 3pt hitch, it would be cost prohibitive to try and install one as yours won't even have the pump, that is if you could find the parts which are becoming very hard to find for that model. They are a good pulling tractor with plenty of power for plowing etc which is what they were designed for, they also make a good loader tractor with a front mounted pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks JJ!
Yes I was looking around and found a ID/Serial number plate and it is a WR model. Are there any after market TPH as there are 4 hydraulic lines just above the PTO. Or are there any implements that would work with this setup? i.e. disks, bailers, sickle bars, brush hogs or anything like that?

Thanks much for the reply.

·
Registered
128 Posts
There are any number of pull behind implements you can use John, 3 bottom plow, discs, mower/conditioner,baler etc, and you can use the remote hydraulics you have on the back to operate any single or double acting cylinders that these implements may have. I wouldn't even consider the installation of a 3PH, if you find you have to have one sell the Super 90 and buy a 100 series tractor, you would be putting out the extra money anyway if you can find the parts and also have all the work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts