My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three years of planning we are finally moving forward on a new storage building. This is one of two additional buildings that we will put on the property. Currently the 30x70 shop is at full capacity and overflowing. The goal
Of this new building is strictly storage.

Overall it will be 42x63 with 14 ft side walls and a 12’ tall x 14’ wide door at each end to give drive through capability. Originally we were going to put it on an existing concrete pad but after consulting with the builder (and other sources) we opted to move the building and pour a new floor. The pad that was going to be used is now a concrete pad in front of the new building. The site work was finished last weekend when I put the leveling dirt on the outside of the pad for the builder. I also learned that sometimes even if you have the equipment and skills to do something it might be better to paid to have it done. In the last few months I’ve had practically 0 free time. Fortunately the builder suggested a guy to do the pad for the concrete and I used his services instead of doing it myself. Had I tried to do it myself there would have been 90 tons of frozen road base and no pad...... since 2 days after the road base was delivered the ground started freezing. It did thaw out enough for me to spread the mud around the outside of the building but it still has large chunks in it.

Couple notes:
While I have no intentions of using this building for anything other than storage it is designed to have spray foam insulation if desired in the future. This may be many years seeing how the added cost of the concrete pad ruined the budget of the building by over 40%. For the first year there will not even be power in this building!

Ultimately there will be a second building, currently spec’ed at 60x80x16 15 ft to the west of this building that will serve as a replacement to the existing shop. The existing shop will then transform into more of a garage. Ultimately we plan to connect the two buildings via a breezeway with the ability to drive equipment from one building to the next through the breezeway.

Attachments

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,402 Posts
That's going to be a big 'un, Kyle. Good looking ground you have there, I'll be following along. Congrats!

·
10,555 Posts
Ooh, never mention ‘outbuilding’ and ‘breezeway’ in the same paragraph if anywhere near your insurance agent. For every breezeway built, there is an insurance agent ordering a new boat.

·
Super Moderator
29,568 Posts
Kyle I don't know, looks like that barn in the background might be a bit bigger, you can't have that so you need to go bigger!! :sidelaugh Going to be a lot of space for you, but I suspect you'll have it filled up pretty quick.

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am highly jealous!!! Looks like a good start. What was the reason for not using the slab you had?
Forgot to add that detail. The existing pad had too much fall to it and basically there was no way to guarantee there would not be standing water in one end of the building.

That's going to be a big 'un, Kyle. Good looking ground you have there, I'll be following along. Congrats!
Thanks! I’m looking forward to getting it up and moving stuff in!

Ooh, never mention ‘outbuilding’ and ‘breezeway’ in the same paragraph if anywhere near your insurance agent. For every breezeway built, there is an insurance agent ordering a new boat.
Insurance was a big question we had. Ultimately we will move to a farm policy in the next few years due to equipment and building values. Each building has its own policy and with an enclosed connector you just treat it as one building. According to our agent at least.

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whooooo hooooooo! This rolled in the driveway this morning and is being unloaded as I type.

I got lucky with my building permit.... got it a week before they shut the county offices down until mid-April. So building can progress. Crew should be here next week.... or that is the plan right now.

Reactions: Jere39

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Looks good, a little cantilever on the ceiling I see.

CCMoe

·
Super Moderator
29,568 Posts
I got lucky with my building permit.... got it a week before they shut the county offices down until mid-April. So building can progress. Crew should be here next week.... or that is the plan right now.
Just in the nick of time!!! Congrats!

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few days of work and it’s starting to look like something!

·
Premium Member
2,739 Posts
I remember those days. Have not built a pole barn since 1979. Your site looked leveler than some we built on before you moved any dirt.

·
We're all friends here
14,290 Posts
So you are ultimately going to have two humongous storage buildings plus the garage? How many tractors do you plan to buy? 😱

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remember those days. Have not built a pole barn since 1979. Your site looked leveler than some we built on before you moved any dirt.
Yes, we are extremely fortunate that there is a minimal amount of dirt work that had to be done. In the end the dirt work on this building was less than $1500, including the 90 tons of fill.

Looking good! Won't be long before you're filling it up with equipment!
I hope so... the two man crew is back today working on it. Guessing they are pushing forward in case the SD governor issues a stay at home order.... we still don't have one but based on the grocery shopping trip yesterday most everyone is staying home.

So you are ultimately going to have two humongous storage buildings plus the garage? How many tractors do you plan to buy? 😱
MANY 😂 The second building will be a new working shop... that will be an extensive and expensive build so it is many years off. But if you are going to dream you should dream big!

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Building itself is almost done! The garage doors go in next Wednesday and then it’s just the concrete work... still working on lining all that up.

I think the garage door should fit anything I’ll buy in the next few years.

·
4,838 Posts
There are storage companies here on Long Island who's facilities are small compared to that!...I see A LOT of land and equipment...but no crops or live stock...what do you raise?...do you get all your supplies at Wall Drug? 😁

·
Super Moderator
13,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are storage companies here on Long Island who's facilities are small compared to that!...I see A LOT of land and equipment...but no crops or live stock...what do you raise?...do you get all your supplies at Wall Drug? 😁
Crops, no other than a garden. Livestock, I get plenty of livestock time at work. :geek:

We have about 11 acres that I use as my playground.... you know the saying.. bigger the boy the bigger the toys.

Wall Drug is great but that would be a long trip for coffee, free ice water, and donuts.... it’s about 5.5 hrs away. First time we drove through SD back in 2013 I still remeber

I’m not sure the driveway would like Big Bud.....there is a tractor museum in Clarion, IA that has a Big Bud on display... it’s a huge machine.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts