My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put a new starter on my 1999 445 JD. The old starter went bad a emitted a little smoke. The panel light were working. Now I get nothing. Juice to starter reads 13.3. I replaced both fuses in the panel although neither looked bad. HELP!!!

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I would double check the wiring to the starter. And it's possible to damage a starter by over-tightening the nuts holding the main power wire to it. And check that the ground cable from the battery to the tractor is securely connected.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would double check the wiring to the starter. And it's possible to damage a starter by over-tightening the nuts holding the main power wire to it. And check that the ground cable from the battery to the tractor is securely connected.
Thanks, I have covered those items. I have replaced fuses. I have checked voltage to the starter. My next step I think is to check power to the ignition. I thought maybe someone would say something that was just quirky that it could be. My neighbor and I both have 445's that are 20 years old. We have experienced a lot with them. Our other neighbor is a Harvester mechanic. None of us can figure why it would do this.

·
Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Well, if the starter gets power when you turn the key and does nothing, then it either isn't grounded, or it's bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts