My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I picked up a non-running RER yesterday for the fun of it and will be looking to restore it. I am a Gravely guy and have restored plenty of those, but the Snapper will be good to actually use weekly to cut my grass.

So I am having a heck of a time finding what model I have. There are no badges anywhere on the tractor. The engine is a Briggs 190707-2131-01 with a code of 84021609. Tells me it's a 1984 engine, but the top says "319cc". I don't think it's the original engine and maybe came from a Snapper tiller. Can anyone confirm?

So the tractor is a 2-pedal with a 30" deck. Pictures attached.

Would really appreciate help in finding the model/date.

Thanks,
Jamie
Jamie
Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Locking hubs

Attachments

· Registered
533 Posts
Automatic blade stop didn't come along until series 4, I believe. Since the engine was made in 1984 and appears original, I would say you have a series 5. I would put my money on it being a 30085S.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
The ID Tag should be under the seat for that series of RER. This picture shows the tag to be on the brace the holds the tubular frame. left side sitting on the mower. Inside the yellow circle. These tags were pretty tough but not indestructible.

Tire Wheel Shorts Automotive tire Vehicle

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the replies. I checked under the seat, and I see where the tag used to be, but it's missing.

Good news is that I got it running today with a new coil, plug, and a carb clean. Took her for a ride around the yard and she ran strong.

Now I need to figure out what is missing from the mower deck and start putting that together. It doesn't spin super easy, so probably need some bearings.

Appreciate the replies!

Jamie

· Registered
1,039 Posts
It doesn't spin super easy, so probably need some bearings.
The bearings are probably OK. They are a sealed unit bearing and last a long time. More than likely the brake band is rubbing the brake hub. See items 14 & 15 in the exploded view drawing below. Item 4 may be adjusted a little too tight as well. This braking system is designed to engage when the blade is disengaged. A Safety measure taken by Snapper to fulfill a government requirement. Spindle exploded view shown below for your convenience.
Both views are for a Series 7 RER.

REAR ENGINE RIDER SERIES 7 BELTS, BRAKES, INTERLOCK

Organism Font Parallel Diagram Art

REAR ENGINE RIDER SERIES 7 SPINDLE

Font Parallel Diagram Engineering Cylinder

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. You are correct. I put the mower deck together and attached the blade. It spins nicely with no weird sounds!

Any thoughts on how to block off the chute on the mower deck so this can be a mulcher?

· Registered
1,039 Posts
If you have a 28" deck the kit shown below is what you will need. Providing your deck is a HI-VAC Mower Deck.
Snapper RER mowers are no longer made.
So, parts are getting a little harder to come by. The block off plate alone runs about $60.00 plus. Get the correct one for your deck size. Amazon has had Snapper parts, So I have listed some Amazon links below that may help you. The X shaped blade is called a NINGA blade. Does a great job. Others say that after-market blades such as the ones by Oregon are better. Has been an ongoing discussion here on the Snapper Forum.
I DO HOPE THIS HELPS YOU.

Amazon.com : Snapper Rear Engine Rider Parts

28" BLOCK OFF PLATE/COVER
Amazon.com : Briggs and Stratton 7026233YP Chute, Discharge, Black : Patio, Lawn & Garden

28" OREGON STRAIGHT MULCHING BLADE.
Amazon.com : Oregon 96-628 Gator G3 Lawn Mower Blade, 28-Inch, Replaces Murray : Blower Vacuum Mulcher : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Snapper Mulching Kit (Fits Rear Engine Riders w/ 28" deck)
Model: 7600100YP - Mulching Kit | Item Number: 7600100YP
Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory Bicycle part Automotive exterior String instrument accessory

Snapper deck exploded view.

Font Parallel Circle Auto part Drawing

· Registered
5,839 Posts
How about the bottom of an old plastic garbage can. Cut it out like part #0010 in Novaz27's diagram to cover the opening and screw it down to the deck shell. Just a thought.

· Registered
1,039 Posts
screw it down to the deck shell. Just a thought.
If you make your own cover. Just match drill the homemade cover to the already existing mounting holes in the deck. See red marks below for location example. I mount the block off cover with .250/20 hardware and washers. No need to drill new holes in the deck. Check Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace for Snapper parts. One never knows what is available for sale out there. One might consider using some galvanized roof flashing. Just a thought there.

Musical instrument accessory Bicycle part Guitar accessory Automotive exterior Bumper

Font Circle Parallel Auto part Slope

ROOF FLASHING

Rectangle Electric blue Gadget Automotive exterior Logo

1 - 11 of 11 Posts