My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Yesterday I bought a series 23, 28inch, 11hp RER. It is in amazing shape and I got it for a steal! I was reading the manual last night when I saw that the recommended PSI for the tires is 12. On the tires themselves, it says 30 for the front two tires and 28 in the back. Can someone explain this difference?
Thanks!

Also, I now have two older RER's for sale in St. Louis, if anyone is interested. Both need a little work, but they would be great machines if someone wanted to fix them up. One is a 30 inch comet (no safety features at all, which is why I stopped riding this one....too many hills in my yard), the other is a 28inch hi-vac series 5.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I believe if you look at the tires again those pressures shown on them is MAX air pressure, 12-15 in rear and 18-20 in front always worked good for us.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there any reason I wouldn't want to be closer to Max air pressure? 12 seems really low....

I believe if you look at the tires again those pressures shown on them is MAX air pressure, 12-15 in rear and 18-20 in front always worked good for us.

·
Registered
99 Posts
it would make it a very hard ride, look at your car tires same thing there most show max of 50 or so, wouldn't want to ride in that car either. what purpose would runing more pressure in the tires serve? softer tire will get better traction if used in snow or on wet grass, the front tires on a snapper need to be kept up as it turns in a small radius and a soft tire will pop off the bead quite easly.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
The tires fit many different applications. The 12 PSI setting is for "turf"applications,and disturbs the soil less.I have have to agree with Duffer 72,as to tubeless use,the low pressure makes leaks happen easier from hitting the tire against objects. That's why I use tubes.And I usually use more pressure since I'm not trying to win the "Yard of the month".

·
Premium Member
511 Posts
Does it make sense, then, to store a Snapper on end for the Winter?

(For the tires sake)

I've just been pulling the battery, running the gas out etc. but not up/ending it for storing.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I'm not real sure what makes these guys think this is good infomation.Case in point on presure;look at a small trailer tire,4.80x12,says 60 psi.Bought some & had them mount'em,guy put in 60psi.Thing looked like a golf ball,bouncing down the road!! Had I had a mower in it,I'd have left it in a tree somewhere.One has to use some common sense when doing stuff.So when I got home, let them boys down to 32psi,and all is well on the home front.:trink40:Course,that's just me.In your case,I run 12-15psi.in all my mower stuff

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
It's just your Government trying to protect you from yourself,all the codes and numbers are required.This is supposed to prevent you from over-inflating the tire and exploding it in your face.The actual operating pressure,is supplied by the equipment manufacturer,such as the owners manual,or the sticker on the door of your car.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
The psi on the side wall is never the real tire pressure its what your manual says, in the case of cars and trucks its what's on the door jam tire spec sticker

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
The psi on the side wall is never the real tire pressure its what your manual says, in the case of cars and trucks its what's on the door jam tire spec sticker
Yea, well the recommended door jam pressure on my Tundra is 26 front, 29 rear. Ludicrous. At those pressures, it feels like I'm running on marshmellows. I run 48PSI front and 46 rear (50-55 if loaded). My tires are 65PSI max. Go figure.

For tractors, since the load is so variable with different implement configurations, tires should be inflated until you *just* get full contact across the width of the tread for a that specific configuration.

JayC

·
Premium Member
9,797 Posts
Bercomac recommends 15 psi in front and FIVE in the rears for snow blowing. More traction.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I run just a couple pounds less than the tire says on my riders and it does fine. Now my pickup is a whole other creature. I had odd wear on BFGs and BIG O tires with the manufacturer recomendation. Now with the new set on there, I run a constant 55psi (tire max) and didnt notice much of a difference in the ride while picking up mileage and much better wear pattern. 30k mile tires with 25k+ on them and still have more than 3/4 tread left. They're checked every other week with a Blue Point digital guage (Snapon). Lesser guages and tire shop/oil change shop guages are not to be trusted. Those can be up to 20psi off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts