My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dad usually keeps this 1978 812 up in the mountains at his hunting camp/trailer park but it was needing some work so he swapped it out with on of the 16G. I had to weld up the seat pan and straighten up the back some. It was backed into a tree and busted up the flywheel, screen, and blower cover. Dad replaced those parts at camp but it was missing so he brought it home. Turns out the bent seat pan was contacting the coil and shorting out the coil when he hit a bump. The tires leaked really bad so I got the back ones changed a couple weeks ago and the fronts yesterday. Installed some wheel studs and relined the brake band with the woven material from Mcmaster Carr also adjusted and greased the clutch assemblies.

new Carlise Turf Savers 23/8.50/12 and 16/6.50/8

My buddy Sam's boy Dustin mowing in front of the shop

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I bought 2 feet of the 3/16" thick woven brake lining material from Mcmaster carr that will be enough to make 3 brake bands. I rolled it up tight and put a piece of wire around it for a few days to get it into shape. Then I cut it to size and dry fit it into the brake band and installed it back on the Gravely set the brake and left it for a few days. That really got it fitting well and made it easy to work with when applying the JB Weld epoxy. i coated the back side of the lining, fit it back into the band and then onto the Gravely again and set the brake to allow it to cure. Seems to work great. Less than $10.00 for enough to fix 3 sure beats $80.00 for a new one.

·
CalifornianGravelynator
4,330 Posts
Great job:fing32:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've owned a few of the L series two wheelers. I still use my 65 and have darn near every attachment for it some place or another. I was visiting with an old friend of mine who has three 812 all inside. They're in various stages of disassembly, two motors and a parts unit and two rough mower decks. He's offered them to me since he's up in years and doesn't want to fix stuff anymore. What's the general opinion, it it worth pulling this stuff home? Oh - and theres one that I don't remember the model of, a 4xx something or other.

Don't take me wrong - I love Gravelys and always have. It's just that I'm running out of room with two Massey-Ferguson MF10 and attachments, the L8 and her attachments and my most recent, a MF GC2310. Therefore my question - is it worth dragging all this home? I'm not sure about the engines but I know they're getting hard to find. I don't know if I want to get involved in re-powering unless therm's a adapter plate available.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
I bought 2 feet of the 3/16" thick woven brake lining material from Mcmaster carr that will be enough to make 3 brake bands. I rolled it up tight and put a piece of wire around it for a few days to get it into shape. Then I cut it to size and dry fit it into the brake band and installed it back on the Gravely set the brake and left it for a few days. That really got it fitting well and made it easy to work with when applying the JB Weld epoxy. i coated the back side of the lining, fit it back into the band and then onto the Gravely again and set the brake to allow it to cure. Seems to work great. Less than $10.00 for enough to fix 3 sure beats $80.00 for a new one.

Sorry about dragging up an old thread, but I have a question about the brake relining material. I found it at McMaster-Carr. There are five flavors listed:
~three molded sheets, high, medium, and low friction.
~two strips - non-metallic molded strips and high strength woven semi-metallic strips.

Intuition says I want the woven semi-metallic stuff. The cost these days is still reasonable at $4.01 a foot.

·
4K Poster and climbing!!!
4,155 Posts
I used the woven. On 4 tractors. Still have a long enough piece to do one more.

Some have suggested a slightly thinner liner would be better. You might look to see if one is available. There is merit to the idea I believe.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
I used the woven. On 4 tractors. Still have a long enough piece to do one more.

Some have suggested a slightly thinner liner would be better. You might look to see if one is available. There is merit to the idea I believe.
Thanks Al,

The sheet stock (high, medium, and low friction) is available in 1/8, 3/16 and on up to 1" The woven and non-metallic start at 3/16 and go up only a little higher.

Why do you think thinner might be better?

Also, was removing the old material easy? If not, any tricks or advice?

·
4,155 Posts
Removal was easy on mine because all of them have been pretty worn out. I used my dremel to clean up the metal band.

There has been some discussion on other threads after this authoritive layout Jason made for us all. You can probably find them easy enough. Some have noted on many there is not much room for non-engagement right after installation.

I just let the liner wear and all has been fine, but I might have tried the next thickness down in retrospect. It wasn't $4 a foot when i first did one, and I knw I had a couple to do and wanted to be prepared if i messed up and had to start over. No worries tho this was a real easy task.

·
Gravelyyard.com
5,917 Posts
I know some people have complained in the past about the MC stuff being too thick and rubbing. I think if you follow Jason's prep procedure, you should be OK. My 8199KY needs a new band, so I'm going this route unless somebody comes up with something better.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
I know some people have complained in the past about the MC stuff being too thick and rubbing. I think if you follow Jason's prep procedure, you should be OK. My 8199KY needs a new band, so I'm going this route unless somebody comes up with something better.
If the thickness is marginally acceptable, I can see why Jason's attention to material prep makes such good sense. I'll follow that method and see where it gets me.

In extreme, I could just take a belt sander to the installed material and shave it by a 32nd or so.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
I'm getting ready to reline the band on one of my tractors. To start, I pulled the band from my 812/8120 parts tractor and cleaned that up. It turns out it has a lot of lining left, so I will probably pull the band from the tractor for which this is intended.

In any case, the first thing I am trying to do is "train" the lining material. This is the thinnest woven stuff from McMaster Carr. It is 3/16". I rolled it as tightly as possible and have it in a vise where I will leave it for a few days.

The bushing and clamp are to keep that inside end rounded. It wanted to stay straight.

By the way, wear gloves when handling this stuff. It has very fine brass wire woven into it and the ends of the wire strands will get into your finger tips in a not very nice way.

Hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I can install this into the 16G band and get it on the tractor and working.

·
Administrator
14,865 Posts
Good stuff. I need to do this on the Custom.

Apparently, Krislu was taking it for a spin down that hill to the motorcycle show at the Mow-In. Somebody cut him off and as he put it, the brakes didn't work as well as he'd have liked them to :sidelaugh

·
4,155 Posts
You are always 'athinking Mikey. That should make it easier to work with.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
I pulled the well worn brake band off the 16G. There was still remaining friction material all the way around, but it was thin beyond the adjustment's ability to close. Each end of it flaked off easily. The rest of the material was tenacious. I ultimately settled on an old Four-In-Hand file with a very coarse curved rasp section.

It took about 15 minutes to get all the material off. When you consider these were never meant to be relined, and when you consider that the friction material has been there for 20, 30, maybe 40 years, a 15 minute time investment seems pretty cheap!

Now I just have to wait for the lining material to stay curved as I am training it. Maybe another day for that.

Is JB Weld the best stickum-tight for this?

·
4,155 Posts
I've done 3 with JB Weld.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts