My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys ( and Gals of course ) I went ahead and got one that runs this time, it has the starter and it fires up the second you push it no TDC or anything, has three speeds so you aint gotta run with it, can turn mower and anything else on from the operators position ( forgot the name of the lever w/the curled end on it) and the governor. Has 3 new Carlsile tires on it and they still have the hair on them.
Well its the best one I could find.
Gonna give it to my son as I promised I'd give him one yrs ago, he loaded it on my truck and it was the first time he'd ever touched one so its at my house for a week and Im gonna clean battery terminals and maybe change fuel lines and new plug ( if someone can tell me what plug this one takes, its a straight-up plug ) and wash it off and just clean it up and make sure everything is ok as far as I know without removing anything lol!.
But if the blade dont look good I'll put my new one on it.
Well heres some pics.
Im gonna have to give it to him because the arm & a leg I no longer have after buying it it would be kinda hard to operate.
It didnt have a tank tag so I saw this tag on the bottom and took pic of it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well guys ( and Gals of course ) I went ahead and got one that runs this time, it has the starter and it fires up the second you push it no TDC or anything, has three speeds so you aint gotta run with it,
Heres a cpl more I took, was afraid of posting past the limit.
The skids and deck is in great shape looks like.
Well there it is.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Early 70s C8 with the Swiftamatic 2 speed axle. Very nice.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Wow, nice grab!

'73 Super Convertible, with duals and a 106 deck. That's pretty much the pinnacle of L model development. Somebody's been maintaining that one, too. It's pretty clean, and has had consumable parts replaced. Looks like it's gotten some fresh paint somewhere back there. The new tires are a plus.

Late models have the tag (just S/N) down on the advance casting, as you found. The rod with the curled end is the remote PTO control.

Interestingly, it has the FM mag. I didn't think they were still being used that late.

Your son will get good use out of that machine for many years to come.

·
Daryl G
893 Posts
Mark,
That is a beautiful machine and set up perfectly! jrd nailed it with the "That's pretty much the pinnacle of L model development." statement. I love my 74 C8 as that is the machine that I use/abuse the most!!! The swiftamatic is a great addition - in fact, if I ever get another Gravely, it has to have that feature (two of my machines have it / two do not). Although you may have questioned the importance of a governor earlier, it is a huge plus on these machines as your son may soon see. That is an interesting and simple solution to vibrating air deflectors - I have seen the air deflectors crack because of vibrating over time and that little fix on yours will certainly eliminate, or least greatly reduce, the likelihood of that happening.

You and I share a special kinship as we both purchased on first Gravely about the same time and now we both own four of these beasts! So, are going to be keeping your recently resurrected machine for yourself?

The spark plug you inquired about - I looked at the GTGravely website and it shows either an Autolite #216, NGK #B6L, or Champion # H10C for the 7.6 HP engines.

·
Gravely1964
3,952 Posts
I'll also jump on the boat of thats a nice machine! Plug is an H10 champion or autolite 216

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mark,
That is a beautiful machine and set up perfectly! jrd nailed it with the "That's pretty much the pinnacle of L model development." statement. I love my 74 C8 as that is the machine that I use/abuse the most!!! The swiftamatic is a great addition - in fact, if I ever get another Gravely, it has to have that feature (two of my machines have it / two do not). Although you may have questioned the importance of a governor earlier, it is a huge plus on these machines as your son may soon see. That is an interesting and simple solution to vibrating air deflectors - I have seen the air deflectors crack because of vibrating over time and that little fix on yours will certainly eliminate, or least greatly reduce, the likelihood of that happening.

You and I share a special kinship as we both purchased on first Gravely about the same time and now we both own four of these beasts! So, are going to be keeping your recently resurrected machine for yourself?

The spark plug you inquired about - I looked at the GTGravely website and it shows either an Autolite #216, NGK #B6L, or Champion # H10C for the 7.6 HP engines.
Thanks fireant, I'll get one today when Im out. And yes the other one will be mine and I can work on it without any concern about hurrying up because I dont have much use for it but I will mow with it just cause it pulls itself lol.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll also jump on the boat of thats a nice machine! Plug is an H10 champion or autolite 216
Thanks, I paid a grip for it....I guess anyway. Well may as well cough it up it cost me $ 800 but I promised him a nice Gravely and failed at my attempt in decent time just because I went about it the wrong way so how bad did I get it?

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, nice grab!

'73 Super Convertible, with duals and a 106 deck. That's pretty much the pinnacle of L model development. Somebody's been maintaining that one, too. It's pretty clean, and has had consumable parts replaced. Looks like it's gotten some fresh paint somewhere back there. The new tires are a plus.

Late models have the tag (just S/N) down on the advance casting, as you found. The rod with the curled end is the remote PTO control.

Interestingly, it has the FM mag. I didn't think they were still being used that late.

Your son will get good use out of that machine for many years to come.
Great, Im happy to hear it hasnt had a different bottom or something put on it lol.
So whats the deal with the oil and stuff, meaning on my other L the transmission and engine shares the same oil with no seperator but I have heard on here that some of them ( Im assuming w/the swiftmatic) it takes two diff oils as if its two seperate parts or something?
Down by that ser # tag I saw what looked like a oil dump because the bolt had a piece of something metal or plastic in front of the bolt head. I had just gotten home with it and was running out of light and time to get good pics plus I gotta make sum room for it just for a week because I barley got it under my car port shop of an affair.
Will be back later.
Thanks everyone and any advice will be taken.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
I have heard on here that some of them ( Im assuming w/the swiftmatic) it takes two diff oils as if its two seperate parts or something?[/quote]
Swifto is unrelated. It's about the engine. The later gravelys that had other engines (not the gravely T head) do not share engine and transmission oil. Your C8 is still part of the L series, and thus has the gravely T head. All one oil system.
Down by that ser # tag I saw what looked like a oil dump because the bolt had a piece of something metal or plastic in front of the bolt head.
To my knowledge, your oil drain is the same as all the other L series, lower left axle housing bolt. We'd have to see pix to learn what you're seeing.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have heard on here that some of them ( Im assuming w/the swiftmatic) it takes two diff oils as if its two seperate parts or something?
Swifto is unrelated. It's about the engine. The later gravelys that had other engines (not the gravely T head) do not share engine and transmission oil. Your C8 is still part of the L series, and thus has the gravely T head. All one oil system.

To my knowledge, your oil drain is the same as all the other L series, lower left axle housing bolt. We'd have to see pix to learn what you're seeing.
[/QUOTE]
OK Great, Im glad its all in one. Just my personal feelings if it doesnt have a Gravely power plant I dont think I want them.
I like Gravelys not mix & match hybrids. Again just one mans opinion.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

OK Great, Im glad its all in one. Just my personal feelings if it doesnt have a Gravely power plant I dont think I want them.
I like Gravelys not mix & match hybrids. Again just one mans opinion.
[/QUOTE]
Well I'll back up a bit on that, If I needed a rider thats different and my boss had a Gravely a lot like mine w/a Kohler engine on it and it worked good.

·
Premium Member
3,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heres what I was thinking was the oil dump, but gotta be sure.
I think I'll fire it up and mow my back yard with it while my radiator is draining. Gotta fill it up w/2 gal of vinager and let it set overnight.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Think that's just the way the picture can out.
Yeah, the pics don't make it easy to tell. But regardless of what the pics look like, the bottom bolt is the one which matters.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts