My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got home tonight from grocery shopping and found a package on the front porch. A new in box Husqvarna 455 Rancher chainsaw. :fing32: I hadn't ordered one and I know darn well my wife didn't so it came as quite a surprise. Turns out my mother and brother got it for me since last time I was down at my brother's place I was complaining about my other saw. I mentioned the Rancher but I had no idea they would get one for me! I guess I should've mentioned that I need a New Holland Boomer and a Ford F250 too. Or maybe I'll just be happy that I got a nice family and not push it. ROF :bannana:

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
My brother in-law has one, and it has held up well. Has a nice sound to it as far as chain saws go. :D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Hey Kid, just be glad that they care enough for you that they heard what you said and put it into action. I know that you are. What a nice suprise birthday present! God bless family!

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Very Nice gift ... Good luck with it... :fing32:

Nothing like a nice new chainsaw... My X wife bought me a Homelite SXL Auto back in 1983 for my birthday.. still runs like a top .. cuts as good as any other saw I have used.

The chips fly when I am cutting, with a 24" bar and full chisel chain, I dont use the low profile chain .. too slow, but much safer then full chisel chain

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Dean, "Or maybe I'll just be happy that I got a nice family and not push it. ROF :bannana:"

Sounds like sound thinking!!:fing20:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mow - I've heard good things about this saw, so I'm hoping it will work OK. As for the sound, I'll find out tomorrow, my wife wouldn't let my fire it up in the house! :tsk: Go figure.

Carl - the thing is, it's not my birthday until November! Looks like my mom and brother will be getting some good gifts this year!

Ken - I'm looking forward to using it, it's got a 20" bar. Should make short work of all these poplars up here. I need to get a full chisel chain for it, but at least with poplar being so soft the stock chain will work fine for now.

Dean - Yeah, I learned a long time ago not to look a gift horse in the mouth. And I'm very proud of my family, we tend to really stick together and help each other out as much as possible. Comes from growing up in North Dakota I suppose. :fing32:

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Your family didn't do wrong by investing in a Husky. We hav a couple Huskys at work and they run well.. Good luck w/ your new saw, just stay off of your neighbors land as you will be wanting to start that saw every chance you get.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ernie, I know what you're talking about! I had to got out to the barn yesterday and saw that saw just sitting there so I decided to fire it up and try it out. Six trees later my wife came home and told me to stop before I turn this place into a prairie! ROF

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Kid Muddy said:
. Six trees later my wife came home and told me to stop before I turn this place into a prairie! ROF
Kid Muddy, you got to pace yourself ROF or your going to start clearing your neighbors next.. Well you should have a load of fire wood for this coming winter. Six trees should keep you busy brushing and cutting and I almost forgot.. the stacking. Then splitting should be done at this time to ensure dry wood. **** Kid you got yourself a few hrs of work ahead. Now the saw will set for a while.. next time just go out and cut a 2x4 ROF And after all of that you can sit in front of the fire place and drink a few and enjoy your labors. :trink39:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Sounds like you have the fun part done. Then comes the other parts. Unless you use your tractor to push the tops into a pile and torch it off.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Pace myself? What's that? ROF

Don't worry, we've got 10 acres of trees, it'll be a while before I make it to the neighbors. At least a month or so. ROF

We go through 4-6 cords every winter and I've got 3 so far from this spring so I've got some more to cut, split and stack.

And yes, I do use the tractor to push the branches into a burn pile. The tractor also came in handy to pull one of the trees out of the pond yesterday. (Tree twisted as it fell and ended up in the water. :fing20: )

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
NIce saw for sure......If its anything ike my old white top with orange bottom Husky of 1975 Vintage its gonna be a long lived saw.........BTW my old saw still cranks and runs on no more than 2 pulls, and will work all day long. Its equivelant to a Husky 44/45 series of today......

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
KM, isn't nice to have a decent saw. I myself have a Stihl but either saw is worth their weight in gold when it come time to saw firewood or fell a tree just clearing out the backyard.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts