My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first step completed today for getting ready for 3-4 plow days this year, 5 new Michelin Tires for the Tundra, #5 was the new spare, & got a new pair of Good year trailer tires so the Deere can have a nice ride. Bring on the Dirt!

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Michelin Defenders are about the only tire that will take my daily drive of 3 miles of Arkansas flint road. Everything else wears down to 1/2 tread then gets cut thru. I wear Defenders all the way down to the wear bars. Their tires are in a class all their own. Good choice.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Nothing like new tires! Definitely a guy thing.
I put Michelin LTRs on my Tundra when I owned it. They were without a doubt the best truck tires I ever owned. Smooth, quiet, great in snow, wore like iron.

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
Put new Michelins on my baby a few months back, wallet felt the hit but she sure do ride nice. Learned years ago that Michelin was the only way to go for quality tires and never use any other brand anymore.

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
Nothing like new shoes! Any pics? :)

Smart of you to get a replacement for the spare. Most people forget about them and when they do need them they're either flat or dry rotted.
When I service my cars I always check the spare tire pressure.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I run Michelins in flint rocks also and down the Hi-way. I can save quite a bit if I'm not in a hurry for replacements and shop around for prices. Only tires I've found that I can wear them down to no tread.:tango_face_smile:

My Michelin vec's are 4x4 and I've found I can get lots more miles of wear if I go with Hi-way tread instead of AT's etc.

The Hi-way tread puts a lot more rubber to the road which lesses the tread wear and I do not need mud slingers or knobbies in flint rocks. (you will also be surprised how much traction you can get on snow and ice and compared to a agressive tread)

I never could run Cooper tires, even the expensive ones. They have left a very bad taste in my mouth. I've seen the expensive Coopers goose egg and vibrate at 5000 miles and I drove some Company vec's that they just kept buying Coopers and had to usually replace at least one out of 4 at 5000 miles.:tango_face_sad:

·
Premium Member
1,983 Posts
I run Michelins in flint rocks also and down the Hi-way. I can save quite a bit if I'm not in a hurry for replacements and shop around for prices. Only tires I've found that I can wear them down to no tread.:tango_face_smile:

My Michelin vec's are 4x4 and I've found I can get lots more miles of wear if I go with Hi-way tread instead of AT's etc.

The Hi-way tread puts a lot more rubber to the road which lesses the tread wear and I do not need mud slingers or knobbies in flint rocks. (you will also be surprised how much traction you can get on snow and ice and compared to a agressive tread)

I never could run Cooper tires, even the expensive ones. They have left a very bad taste in my mouth. I've seen the expensive Coopers goose egg and vibrate at 5000 miles and I drove some Company vec's that they just kept buying Coopers and had to usually replace at least one out of 4 at 5000 miles.:tango_face_sad:
Flint roads will make you an expert on tire construction and value quickly. I've found the same with highway tread as well. Rocks have less gaps to get in between the tread blocks to the carcass=less flats.

My FIL bought a new set of Cooper A/Ts. Didn't make it one trip down my road. Drove in--1.5mi and had a flat. Cut thru the carcass. I put a set of Yoko Geolanders on the wife's SUV when I was learning my way. I knew they would be problematic as they felt very soft riding. Within 1 week the tread was slashed all the way across and into the carcass on one. I returned the whole set for Michelins. Discount tire direct was cool about it. I told them there was no way these tires would hold up on my road and they did me right.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Flint roads will make you an expert on tire construction and value quickly. I've found the same with highway tread as well. Rocks have less gaps to get in between the tread blocks to the carcass=less flats.

My FIL bought a new set of Cooper A/Ts. Didn't make it one trip down my road. Drove in--1.5mi and had a flat. Cut thru the carcass. I put a set of Yoko Geolanders on the wife's SUV when I was learning my way. I knew they would be problematic as they felt very soft riding. Within 1 week the tread was slashed all the way across and into the carcass on one. I returned the whole set for Michelins. Discount tire direct was cool about it. I told them there was no way these tires would hold up on my road and they did me right.
Yes, I was trying to keep 2 vec's going 32 miles round trip 5 cays a week for 20 plus years on flint rock roads and lots of Indains left arrow heads in the road, fixing my own flats, etc.
When I first moved to the area I had experienced dirt roads but not flint rock roads. I could not get to town and back without having a flat on the tires I had been using before I moved to the flint area.

I now have a NEW neighbor that just moved to the same area and he drives a big cowboy Cadillac and he mentioned few days ago he is having problems with flats, but he did not ask for any more info. If he asks I might give him some experienced tire info, but first he needs some more experience.:tango_face_wink:
Lots of tires will run on smooth roads but very few will take flint rocks.:tango_face_surprise

Dirt road mail carriers sometimes know which type tires to run to minimize flats.:tango_face_wink:

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
I always check the spare tire pressure.
So do I, once a month I check the pressure in the tires of all vehicles on the place including the spare. It's amazing how much they fluctuate just by the seasonal air temp changes alone. Anyway cheap insurance to check em' and it helps a tiny bit with fuel mileage staying on top of them. Get caught with a flat spare and you learn to check them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts