My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to a much larger yard (2 acres + of mowing) and needed to hunt down a decent riding mower. I looked around at a lot of used JD tractors that I liked but I ended up going to Sears and ordering a YT4000 with the 24 hp briggs twin and 46" deck.

My overkill nature told me to buy a JD X500 but I don't know that I would really use it for more than a mower. Then I looked at some that were like having a car payment. I finally settled on the yt4000 because in reality I'm just cutting grass. Nothing more. It was listed at $1599 and I used the craftsman club card for $25 off plus 10% friends and family deal last weekend. $1460 out the door with 1 year free interest.

Did I buy the right tractor?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I'm no expert, but I think you did alright for the money. I've read that some of the older machines are real workhorses and will run forever, but I think that if the Craftsman is all you need, and you take care of it, you'll be fine. Maintenance is the key. Oh, and :Welcome1:

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome from Spotsylvania, JeffW.

Take good care of it and it should be good for 7-10 years.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. If I can get 5 or more years out of it I think I'll be happy with the amount I paid for it. Seems like it should be good for what I need. I shopped a lot of used first but $500 + for a 5 year old tractor just seemed like a bad deal compared to a new one.

D-Dogg, just down the road from you in Mechanicsville.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
:Welcome1:

use it for a couple years and then IF you need to trade up, trade up. it would hav ebeen cheaper to do it at first purchase, but in reality if all you do is cut grass on a smooth lot it should do you fine. keep the oil changed, fresh CLEAN filterS(all) on it, and keep anything greaseable greased and it should last you fine.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Ditto to what oldtimer said - maintenance is the key! :Welcome1:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ok Glenn is in Mech. I am near the airport and D-Dogg where r u located thanks Doug

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Thats cool maybe one day we can all get together and have lunch I am layed off right know so I have the time but I think everyone else is working talk soon Doug

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
How about the Spring thing at Filed Days of the Past?
Saturday, June 13, 2009

Rain date Sunday, June 14, 2009

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
I like the twin blade 46" deck Sears offers. That's a big deck, but only two blades..and I think it may cut better, wider/fewer blades is better.

With 2 acres to mow, I'd bet the machine will hold up fine for 10 years or more.

My GT6000, avatar, is a 1993 machine, and still going strong.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ok Glenn is in Mech. I am near the airport and D-Dogg where r u located thanks Doug

I live in Sandston, neighbor! I'm right off Grapevine Rd by I-295 and airport rd.

And to the original poster, the tractor you purchased should be fine with proper maintenance.

John

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another Virginian here, just north of Charlottesville.

You can see in my sig I just bought one of these. I have almost 4 acres and plan on using it for nothing more than mowing and hauling small cart loads of grass clippings and leaves. Maybe a little camp fire wood. I won't be pushing any dirt or snow around.

Red and a few others have been scaring the heck out of me about how these yard tractors aren't worth squat, but, I feel with proper maintenance, we should get at least 5 years out of them. If I see a good used GT become available around here, I may see about upgrading.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems like it should last. The rear end seems to be the weak link I guess. I can't see that motor being to much trouble. I'll be picking up today or tomorrow. My first riding mower so I'm exited just to have one.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Welcome 502 jimmy so there are a bunch of us in this area I am in Highland Springs to be exact and by the way I think Craftsman is a good brand but like everyone else has stated if you take care of it it will take care of you thanks Doug

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another Virginian here, just north of Charlottesville.

You can see in my sig I just bought one of these. I have almost 4 acres and plan on using it for nothing more than mowing and hauling small cart loads of grass clippings and leaves. Maybe a little camp fire wood. I won't be pushing any dirt or snow around.

Red and a few others have been scaring the heck out of me about how these yard tractors aren't worth squat, but, I feel with proper maintenance, we should get at least 5 years out of them. If I see a good used GT become available around here, I may see about upgrading.

I have been buying estates as a hobby for years I make good money at it. I have owned at least 15 small tractors through the years. I have a 35 year old JD and a Craftsman YS4500. I got mine for $700 with the bagger and bumper. It had 19.2 hours on it. I mow about what you have and I have had it for 3 years. It works great. I have a 20 hp and a 42 inch deck. I have some very narrow places to mow. The larger deck is better. Don't let them scare you. LOL For mowing it is great. After 3 years it is still like new. I do not push any snow and i keep it washed off all the time. I have no rust at all on mine yet. I pull the deck every winter and wire wheel any bare paint on the deck then repaint it for the winter. You do not need more power or stonger tran for mowing. A larger tractor with biger tires and deck would have cut down on the mowing time. If you have a second job working out of a home shop a few hours in the shop would have paid for the bigger tractor. For a mowing machine you did fine. I think for a mower they are underated. There are some very cheap riders on the market but for money you did fine. I change the oil oil every 20 hours with the filter. I change the air filter every 60 hours. More if you are in dust. Keep it lubed and you will be fine.

Welcome. This forum will give you all the answers. Keep reading and you will have a masters in tractor repair.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts