My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got these today used for cheap. much heavier grade than the originals and they are radials. they arnt ags but not far from it. mowed 3 lawns today and didnt peel grass at all even on tight turns. what do you guys think?

·
Banned
1,081 Posts
Ummm. dude. those are ags. :)

ag "lights" ? :ROF

I am thinking, maybe you are not breaking tires loose to peel turf due to the weight. If you shed the weight, you might peel turf. If that's true, you are promoting compaction on lawns. The contact patch on turf tires promotes less compaction through more contact patch to spread the load, lower psi.

I might be wrong; what do you think?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ummm. dude. those are ags. :)

ag "lights" ? :ROF

I am thinking, maybe you are not breaking tires loose to peel turf due to the weight. If you shed the weight, you might peel turf. If that's true, you are promoting compaction on lawns. The contact patch on turf tires promotes less compaction through more contact patch to spread the load, lower psi.

I might be wrong; what do you think?

That makes sense. That's why you need more than one GT. My mowing tractors are dedicated to mow and stay pretty stock. But mostly because I am lazy. I would like to have a GT for each season, one to mow, one or two for the garden and one the snowblower stays on.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Looks like a winner to me CR! :)

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
Thats what I do usually is to match up a tractor with with a piece of equipment and just use that setup when I use that equipment.I do it with large farm tractors as well as garden tractors.New Holland S14 w/3pt keeps the Sears tiller with its own engine on all the time,Bolens 1225 has the Bolens tiller on it,AC 712S also keeps its tiller hooked up all the time.Ariens Grand Sierra keeps a tandem Brinly disk hooked to it,AC 5040 has a 5ft King Kutter tiller on it,David Brown 770 stays hooked to the New Holland 256 hayrake,Zebra 3520 stays hooked to the Allis Chalmers 82T Sickle bar mower,Long 910 stays hooked to the 7 shank chisel plow, Allis Chalmers WD has a snap coupler disk on it all the time,Ford 165 LGT stays hooked to the 'mechanics trailer',Hines H-1600 always has the cultivators on it, makes it a lot easier to fire up and go do a job rather than having to hook and unhook each time.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i really think the reason for not peeling turf is the way the rear end is set up. when i go around sharp corners the inside tire barely spins while the outside does the pushing. i think as long as the ground is dry i shouldnt have any issues and doesnt seem to make tread marks in the ground either. i still have my turfs if i need em but these are just too sexy!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i really think the reason for not peeling turf is the way the rear end is set up. when i go around sharp corners the inside tire barely spins while the outside does the pushing.
Yup, that is the differential doing its job. It is a wonderful invention.

The rear tires will do just fine, regardless if people call them ags or mudders or ATVs or whatever. i like the novel way you have the weights because you can easily add more as needed.Great looking tractor and setup!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, that is the differential doing its job. It is a wonderful invention.

The rear tires will do just fine, regardless if people call them ags or mudders or ATVs or whatever. i like the novel way you have the weights because you can easily add more as needed.Great looking tractor and setup!
thanks, the tires deff make it a lot easier to do things that would make the machine slip before. and thanks for commenting on my weights, put together some old jacobsen cheif parts to make a weight rack. so i can add weights to the spindles as needed.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
With split brakes you don't really even need to worry about weight so much, because you just brake the wheel that's spinning and the one that isn't, will get traction.

That is, assuming you have split brakes, which I think you do..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With split brakes you don't really even need to worry about weight so much, because you just brake the wheel that's spinning and the one that isn't, will get traction.

That is, assuming you have split brakes, which I think you do..
this coming from someone who has like 6 suitcase weights on a 4x4, haha rear weights are just COOL, am i right?? yes i am, hahaha

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
CR-SunStar18 , I really like them :fing32: , what's the Size/Manufacturer/Model ???

I also like the new Seat ...

Later,x595

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
here is another pic. i need to get some new front tires now. anyone know where i can get the new jd all terrain tires for the front and how much they are? like the Carlisle field trax? cant seem to find them in the small sizes. i need 16x6.5x8's

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts

·
15,000 +posts!
20,558 Posts
Radials???...huh!..they give better traction on cars & trucks,so why not?..I wonder in the sidewalls are flimsy compared to bias ply though..

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Radials???...huh!..they give better traction on cars & trucks,so why not?..I wonder in the sidewalls are flimsy compared to bias ply though..
well, the original tires i took off were really quite floppy and thin. these new ones are really stiff in comparison. Definitely a much heavier tire for sure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
here is a pic of todays little project. i noticed when pushing and doing random things with my bucket that sometimes things would hit the sides of the hood or grill. so i made a brush guard out of some old sign post angle iron i had. got it all welded up and mounted on. nice and sturdy. plan to get some heavy mesh to put in the holes to finish it off, and probably mount some bigger headlights on the top as well.

·
Premium Member
9,605 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts