My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've spent 6 months studying and shopping, and learning a lot from MTF and MGTF and TBN. I went from looking at Kubota BXs, then MF GCs, to JD, and was about to write a check for a 1026R. But as I worked through the purchase in several meetings with the local dealer (Atlantic Tractor), I realized that I really wasn't prividleged enough or worthy enough to own a JD. Do some dealers really think that we are lucky just to have a chance to by a $17K green tractor from them, and not want the problems clearly identified in JD PIPs, "Solutions" and DTACs fixed before purchase?

I came to my senses, shopped some more, and came full circle on brands. I came back to the place that I never should have left - an orange tractor. Yesterday I drove to a most excellent Kuboda dealer (Burke Equipment in Delaware - Steve Dirocco is the best) to load up a new BX2660 w/ FEL, 60" MMM, LP Quick Hitch, and a 60" LP landscape rake. When it came to price, the new Kubota 60 series incentives, and a good dealer with lots of brand new 70 series machines on the lot, overwhelmed JD's desire to unload the last of the 1026R's to make room for the 1025R's. The BX2660 priced out over $3,000 less that the JD dealer's best price, for the same package, including the FEL, MMM and quick hitch (JD: $16,900 delivered; K: $13,868 picked up). The price difference, and savings from buying in "tax free" Delaware, paid for a new landscape trailer and the Land Pride LR1660 landscape rake with the wide guide wheels and the drop down blade option. While they last, the 60 series sales incentivies are great right now.

Thanks to the really good solid advice in the MMM Removal/Install "Sticky" post here on the Kubota SCUT MTF forum, I'm feeling pretty confident that owning the extra $3,000 in equipment easily is going to offset my not being able to drive over my MMM deck for an auto connect. And I own an orange FEL that does not have the drooping bucket hydraulics problems that all 1026R owners know and complain about, but my JD dealer says is "normal"!

Sorry about the photo with the Cranes - I'm sure you all know what it feels like on the first day. Sometimes things can get out of control.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Nice! Good choice on the Kubota. I love my new 2660. I too received a great price last month. I briefly glanced at the JD whilst shopping, but I am so glad I bought the Kubota. I prefer the pedal arrangement on the 60 compared to the new 2670. Have fun. Love the cranes!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great looking tractor and setup. Very nice property you have there. Is that a salt water bay or inland lake?

·
16,615 Posts
tractor looks really nice--that and the accessories mader a nice package....

Give us another review after about a month--

Oh--BTW==congrats on retireing (hope to be doing it myself , in next year or so--)--and Welcome to MTF!!:MTF_wel2:

glenn

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition , great looking machine . If I were slightly closer and didn't have to cross the bay bridge I would do all my purchases in Delaware , saving 6% is a nice bonus .

Mike

·
Registered
272 Posts
Congrtaulations !! Very nice machine and an even even better property view. I`m green with envy on the bayfront, but at least my tractor is also orange.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Congrats on new tractor. Was wondering how that single axle trailer with your tractor on it towed? Does it exceed the weight limit of trailer hauling it? Does your state require brakes on the trailer hauling that much weight? I'm in the market but everyone is telling me to buy a dual axle trailer with brakes.

·
Registered
272 Posts
^ IMO that would be overkill. My 5x8 single axle trailer is rated for 2800lbs, certainly more than adequate for a SCUT. ( the wheel/axle assembly is rated for 3500#) About $1K from a local dedicated trailer retailer.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Congrats and enjoy it. slkpk

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Great looking tractor and setup. Very nice property you have there. Is that a salt water bay or inland lake?
Thanks for the note. We are so lucky to live on a small tidal creek off of the Chesapeake Bay on Maryland's eastern shore. It is our little piece of heaven.

·
Retiring
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Congrats on new tractor. Was wondering how that single axle trailer with your tractor on it towed? Does it exceed the weight limit of trailer hauling it? Does your state require brakes on the trailer hauling that much weight? I'm in the market but everyone is telling me to buy a dual axle trailer with brakes.
I read a lot of posts on trailering SCUTS on various forums, and some smart folks have offered really good advice on the safety advantages of dual axel trailers with electric brakes. Alternatively, some folks talk about using single axel trailers w/out brakes for just getting the SCUT home from the dealer. It certainly is not unreasonable to respect the need for an emergency stopping distance that would not be as short without electric brakes. There is a lot of good advice out there and much of it obviously from very credible sources. In the end I think we have to consider it and make our own decisions - and that involves assessing the risks.

My dealer uses a single axel Pequea 12' landscape trailer with electric brakes to deliver BXs and Bs. However, they told me that they only recently started using that trailer and for years previously they used a single axel Pequea trailer w/out brakes. My salesman showed me his 12' single axel trailer that he uses to tow his tractor and it did not have brakes.

I needed to get my tractor home from Delaware, a 50 mile trip. I purchased a good quality 12' steel landscape trailer that had equivalent towing specs to the Pequea but was about $1,000 less (the Pequea is really nice but pricey). My Kubota deaer sent me to a nerby trailer dealership to get it, even though he sold Pequeas (did I mention how great Steve and Buke Equipment are?). I took it slow and cautious and made it home without incident. The trailer's gross vehicle weight rating is 200 pounds greater than the total tow weight for the BX2660 as configured (w/ FEL, 60" MMM and LP Quick Hitch).

I intend to take the tractor to NJ and back once each year (200 miles each way), and that will be a go slow and cautious trip as well, just as the one yesterday from the dealer to my Maryland home.

On the 50 mile trip yesterday, the trailer was exceptionally well behaved with the BX2660 aboard, and the braking was very secure behind my Tundra (V8). I looked into MD, DE and NJ trailering regulations and found nothing that would have prevented this non-commercial use, but I certainly could have missed something in that research. However, I did follow the commercial rules for securing the tractor (4pt chain tie down with 5/16" cass 70, and separate tie down for the FEL).

I really wanted the landscape trailer for more than just the tractor - I brought 3 cu. yds. of mulch home on it today, which would have taken at least 2 trips on my 4'x8' "Little Hauler" utility trailer - and I could have gotten another yard on if I needed it.

I would have liked to purchase a 16' dual axel landscape trailer with brakes, but it costs close to $3K (double the cost of the 12' singe axel) and I would have to get about $250 worth of work done on my 10-yr old Tundra to accept the electric brakes. I'm thinking about getting a new truck next year, and my trailer dealer advised me to buy the new Tundra with the electric brake tow option and to get the bigger trailer later. He said that the 12' landscape trailers always are in demand and fairly easy to sell. By the way, the trailer dealer also checked the weight of the BX2660 as configured, and said it was a legal tow in DE.

Like so many things in life, we try to get ourselves well informed and knowledgable, but in the end it is about balancing the risks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts