My Tractor Forum banner

New Purchase - Should I install Mulch blades

740 6
I'm purchasing a new Bronco 42" lawn tractor. I've Googled information and need guidance for this newbie. I've heard the lawn tractor, with bagger, does a better job if the mulch blades are installed for the Fall. Can the mulch kit be installed at purchase and still work with the double bagger attached? Just looking for the best startup options, as I'm not very mechanically inclined and never owned a lawn tractor..always used a self-propelled push mower. Age has caught up with me and the "pushing" days are behind me. Would appreciate as much feedback as possible.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Welcome....moving this to the Troy-Bilt area
Welcome to the forum.

Mulching is a process where the blades cut the grass into smaller particles with the addition of additional "teeth" on the wing side of the blade. Then these smaller grass particles drop into the grass surface where they are much easier to decompose. The use with a bagger would mean that since the grass particles are smaller, you can fill the bag(s) with more.
Many of the mulch kits include some type of baffle under the deck to facilitate the cutting of the grass clippings several times and attempt to drop the clippings to the ground. For some, the mulch baffles work and for others they don't.
People sometimes change the regular blades for mulching type blades in the Fall for use with getting the fallen leaves.

I mulch mow year round without the use of baffles and only plug the discharge so all they clippings fall to the ground. I also use Gator blades.
Hello stevehw
I think the use of mulch blades is a personal preference, and that preference is a result of trying them...some guys swear by them.....guys like me are satisfied with regular blades and don't bother with them...it won't hurt to have them on hand for when you do need a new set and give them a literal whirl...good luck with the new machine
Thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated!
Welcome to the forum.

Mulching is a process where the blades cut the grass into smaller particles with the addition of additional "teeth" on the wing side of the blade. Then these smaller grass particles drop into the grass surface where they are much easier to decompose. The use with a bagger would mean that since the grass particles are smaller, you can fill the bag(s) with more.
Many of the mulch kits include some type of baffle under the deck to facilitate the cutting of the grass clippings several times and attempt to drop the clippings to the ground. For some, the mulch baffles work and for others they don't.
People sometimes change the regular blades for mulching type blades in the Fall for use with getting the fallen leaves.

I mulch mow year round without the use of baffles and only plug the discharge so all they clippings fall to the ground. I also use Gator blades.
Hello stevehw View attachment 2456134 I think the use of mulch blades is a personal preference, and that preference is a result of trying them...some guys swear by them.....guys like me are satisfied with regular blades and don't bother with them...it won't hurt to have them on hand for when you do need a new set and give them a literal whirl...good luck with the new machine
Hello stevehw View attachment 2456134 I think the use of mulch blades is a personal preference, and that preference is a result of trying them...some guys swear by them.....guys like me are satisfied with regular blades and don't bother with them...it won't hurt to have them on hand for when you do need a new set and give them a literal whirl...good luck with the new machine
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated and useful.
straight simple answer to your basic question is - no. A mulch kit includes a mulch plug inserted in the discharge area that would prevent grass clippings from getting into the bagger chute if it was somehow still attached. Basically you mulch or you bag - but not both. Late reply but maybe still helpful.. I use mulching blades with the installed mulch plug on my '04 42" Bronco - no more bagging for me - mower chops the clippings and mother nature does the rest - BTW, the grass seems to love it. fwiw
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.