My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it is mowing season again for my 23 yo JD Hydro 85. I had to purchase a new pto clutch. The problem I am having is that when I install the new one the main bold that holds it to the shaft is not long enough. I have checked with the local dealer and he assures me that it is the correct bolt. Does anyone here have any ideas what I could be doing wrong. Thanks.

·
Diesel Power
5,340 Posts
If the clutch is the same, and the bolt is the same, then one of two things is going on. First may be that the new clutch is not all the way up on the crankshaft...maybe the key is not lined up? The second thing could be that the threads inside of the shaft are booger-ed. Take a look up there with a flashlight. Try threading the bolt up there without the clutch installed and check distances ...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The new part am123123 seems to slide up on shaft and the key slot is lined up. It is like it needs to go on a little further up the shaft. Could I have it on wrong?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thx I did screw the bolt on without and it goes on fine and up to where the old markings are.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I had to use a longer screw to drive it on pushing up the upper pully (it had slid down over the years), then used the correct bolt. Works fine, just have to sharpen the blades and oil change and lube.

·
Banned
32 Posts
Thanks for the help. I had to use a longer screw to drive it on pushing up the upper pully (it had slid down over the years), then used the correct bolt. Works fine, just have to sharpen the blades and oil change and lube.
Did you put some anti-seize on the crankshaft before you pulled the new PTO all the way up?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts