My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #243 · (Edited)
Ray..that is a great video...but someone commented with a link to a bogus site..I know it happened to @PA318Guy a little while back...maybe he can tell you how to get rid of it
Thank you. I deleted that comment from my youtube page.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,680 Posts
It's one thing to build a machine that's fairly complicated but to have it run nearly perfectly when you first turn the key...that's just awesome. (y) (y)

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #245 ·
It's one thing to build a machine that's fairly complicated but to have it run nearly perfectly when you first turn the key...that's just awesome. (y) (y)
Actually .. that was the third time that I had started it.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
15,680 Posts
Yes, but it also moves, and the comfortable seat stays put, and the lights work, etc, etc. :geek:

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #247 ·
OOPS !

It isn't often that one of my projects turns out to not work as well as I had thought they would but that has happened with this one.

The rain stopped so I took it out for a run this morning and the results were really disappointing.
The steering by braking one wheel or the other is very touchy.
The cart wants to pull to one side or the other and I have to keep working the steering levers to keep it going in a straight line.
Also, when I brake one wheel to turn the cart, it seams like the other wheel actually speeds up so that it turns much faster then you would expect.

As a result of this test run, I'm going to re-design the cart by removing the caster wheels and put a regular steering axle in the back that will be controlled by a steering wheel.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
Oh, boy that stinks :( ....but we do get to see some more of your ingenuity at work...do you think you will be able to do it by the time of the show you wanted it for?...and now you have to come up with something to use those brake controls on...do you have everything on hand that you will need to do it?

·
Premium Member
8,389 Posts
Also, when I brake one wheel to turn the cart, it seams like the other wheel actually speeds up so that it turns much faster then you would expect.
If there's a differential between those drive wheels, then that is pretty much the expected behavior if the engine is applying the same amount of power as you apply the brake to one wheel the extra force will be transferred to the other wheel due to the differential. If you want a challenge you could try adding linkage that reduces the throttle any time that you apply either brake. :rolleyes:

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #250 ·
Oh, boy that stinks :( ....but we do get to see some more of your ingenuity at work...do you think you will be able to do it by the time of the show you wanted it for?...and now you have to come up with something to use those brake controls on...do you have everything on hand that you will need to do it?
The Osgood show is the 24-26 of this month so that gives me about 2-1/2 weeks.
I'm still going to need brakes on it so whereas the two hand controls won't be used, the rest of the brake linkage will still be used.
I don't have a steering axle that will work so I need to find one or make one.
I do have several old automotive steering steering columns and gear boxes but they are all too big for using on this.

There is a tractor show and swap meet this week end so maybe I can pick up what I need there.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #253 ·
So it is back to work on the cart.
First thing is to use a come-a-long and get it back up on the work table.

DSC04382.JPG

The wheels in the back aren't as wide apart as the front wheels so I had to use a third ramp.
With it going up just a little crocked, the front and rear wheels on the left ( as you're looking at it ) stay on the same ramp.
On the other side, the rear wheel rides on the inside ramp and the front wheel rides on the outer ramp.

DSC04383.JPG

The pickup bed and the rear axle are removed.

DSC04384.JPG

The front wheel is removed and the cart is blocked up so it is sitting level on the work table.
This gives me more room to work with for installing the new steering.
The white line drawn on the center of the original wheel hub is to mark where the inside of the rubber tire is located.

DSC04386.JPG

·
15,680 Posts
If you can locate the parts I'm sure you'll have this up and running within a few days. It's too bad there isn't another workaround like the ones mentioned above. The original design was very cool looking.

·
Super Moderator
36,502 Posts
So it is back to work on the cart.
First thing is to use a come-a-long and get it back up on the work table.

View attachment 2506362

The wheels in the back aren't as wide apart as the front wheels so I had to use a third ramp.
With it going up just a little crocked, the front and rear wheels on the left ( as you're looking at it ) stay on the same ramp.
On the other side, the rear wheel rides on the inside ramp and the front wheel rides on the outer ramp.

View attachment 2506363

The pickup bed and the rear axle are removed.

View attachment 2506364

The front wheel is removed and the cart is blocked up so it is sitting level on the work table.
This gives me more room to work with for installing the new steering.
The white line drawn on the center of the original wheel hub is to mark where the inside of the rubber tire is located.

View attachment 2506365
JD sorry it didn't work out with the steering brakes, that was a really nice implementation you did. Anyways, we all know how to do that now so time to learn how to put in a rear steering axle, please lead on professor!

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #259 ·
Totally useless; I love it!

Hydraulic steering maybe?
Most of the time my ideas work just fine but sometimes they don't. It can be frustrating sometimes but I just keep plugging away at it until I get it right.

Thinking back, I know enough about how mechanical things work that I should have know from the start that this brake steering would not work on this.
I was thinking that it would be like a Zero turn mower, but it isn't anything like a zero turn mower.
The drive wheels on Zero turn mowers are powered by two hydraulic motors and the mower runs straight because both of the drive motors have the same pressure going to them.

This is a mechanical drive thru a differential just like on a car.
The power goes to whichever wheel that has the least resistance at any given time.
That wheel rotates causing the cart to turn and the amount of resistance keeps switching back and forth from wheel to wheel
The car goes straight because it has controlled steerable wheels and they previde the resistance to maintain a fixed direction.

With the caster wheels, they rotate 360 degrees and do not put up any resistance to keep the cart going straight.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
Guess I should have been more persistent back at post #53 or was it #54. My reasoning was correct just a bad example. I would not start chopping things up just yet. You have a floating axle with casters of the right angle to promote forward movement. There should be a simple way to tie the casters to a common steering link without destroying what you have.
Your braking system is unique and would make for great traction control once the steering has been solved. Why remove them? Conversation pieces at least. Give it some thought at least and think it threw. Best example I can think of for steering would be the first self propel combines. Front drives with rear steer. Keep it simple. I know you will think of something. These are just my thoughts as strange as they may seen at times.

241 - 260 of 269 Posts