My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
There was a TV show for a while of some guy out in Las Vegas I think...people would bring him old stuff to be restored...and he got big bucks for his work...it was good work...but nothing compared to this stuff that you are doing, Ray...I am glad you did find a use for those headlamps (y)

·
Super Moderator
32,208 Posts
Just a thought in looking at the whole tractor... You were talking about the armrests. Seeing them there, it reminded be of my stepfather back in the day mounting a old bus seat in a truck. He wanted armrests, so bent up some poles for it. for the armrest itself he used a bit of the cover from another seat, cut it out, folded some thin foam in it, wrapped it around the pole, and just used some trim screws on the underside to hold it on and tight. The sides and ends were folded in, and with it cut the right length, it looked professional after being attached. Might be a option for your armrests if you ever what to change them to match.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 · (Edited)
TRay--I know there are no pictures--BUT--how did you get it down off the work table by yourself?
With the added weight, I wasn't even going to try to lift it with my light duty A-frame and winch that I used to put it up on the work table.
Several years ago I made up a pair of long ramps out of 2x6 so I could get things up and off the bed of my truck.

I set these up on the edge of the table and pushed the cart over the edge of the ramps by hand.
Once I got the front wheels over the top hump, it rolled down easily by itself.
I walked beside it and used the two brake levers to control how fast it went and keep it on the ramps.

DSC04347.JPG

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #224 · (Edited)
I'm working on the lights inside on my train workbench.
Here is one of the lights taken apart and I've already taken out the old wiring.
Notice that there is only the front sealed beam light bulb and no light bulb for the red tail light.
A little light will show from the front light but not much because of the chrome plating on the inside the back of the sealed beam.

DSC04349.JPG

One of these is damaged and I hadn't realized it until now.
If you look close, you can see that the tube at the bottom where the electrical wire goes in, is bent sideways on the light on the right side.

DSC04351.JPG

I had to take them back out to the garage to straighten the damaged one back out.
While I was out there, I went ahead and sand blasted them before I took them back into the house.

DSC04352.JPG

Now .. back to the rear tail light bulb .....
Searching thru my stuff, I found a couple of bulbs, sockets and the springs to fit inside the sockets.

DSC04354.JPG

However there weren't any wires with the sockets but that isn't a problem.
I take the rivet part of a copper Pop-Rivet and solder it onto a piece of wire to form the terminal end.

DSC04355.JPG

I have an assortment of insulators in my train parts and I found two round ones that are just a littler larger then the sockets.

DSC04356.JPG

I clamp them up in the lathe and turn them down to size.

DSC04357.JPG

Then the wire and spring is assembled with the insulator and it fits into the socket.

DSC04358.JPG

I cut out a bracket from a piece of copper.
The socket is then soldered onto this bracket.

DSC04360.JPG

The light socket is then soldered onto the back of the light housing.

DSC04361.JPG

·
Registered
208 Posts
My wife isn’t going to like you. The more I watch your impressive builds, the more I realize that I need a lathe!

·
Citizen of Earth
15,841 Posts

This picture here is worth three time the price of admission to this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is sheer GENIUS and will solve some problems I have had sitting around waiting for a solution. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
I wrapped electrical tape a couple of times around the outer edge of the sealed beam and the tail light.
this is to keep the glass insulated from the metal so it will be less likely to chip or crack.

DSC04362.JPG

The lights are put back together and tested.

DSC04364.JPG

The original mounting brackets are re-bent so they can be fastened to the underside of the backrest.

DSC04366.JPG

I'm forming chrome plated copper sink water lines to use as the conduit for the electrical wires to run up along side the mounting brackets for the backrest.

DSC04369.JPG

Once they are both bent to shape, they are sand blasted, primed and painted.

DSC04370.JPG

The lights and the conduit tubes are fastened in place and the electric wires are hooked up.

DSC04371.JPG

DSC04372.JPG

Lights on.

DSC04373.JPG

DSC04374.JPG

These put out a nice amount of light.
One advantage of having them mounted on the backrest is that they light up the passenger area as well so it is easy to see all of the controls.

DSC04376.JPG

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
The tune-up kit arrived today and I'm very impressed with the quality of the items.
It also included a manual with detailed instructions for servicing the complete magneto ( not just the points and condenser ).

DSC04377.JPG

I finished up the hub caps and got them painted.

DSC04365.JPG

They turned out really nice.

DSC04378.JPG

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,680 Posts
Those caps are sparkling. Very nice.

Reactions: jdcrawler

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
Turned out really nice?...that's an understatement...when I got to the conduit you made out of chrome plated water lines...I thought you were going to leave them chrome...were you tempted at all to do that?

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #233 ·
Turned out really nice?...that's an understatement...when I got to the conduit you made out of chrome plated water lines...I thought you were going to leave them chrome...were you tempted at all to do that?
Leaving the conduit lines chrome just wouldn't look right on this old thing.

Should be up and purring in no time. Good thing they gave you all the info on the mag that would almost be worth the price of the tune up kit.
I agree. I was very pleased to get that manual. It has 4 pages printed on both sides.

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Premium Member
8,389 Posts
I originally thought the same thing, but then I realized that it was probably what the had on hand that fit the needed purpose. I assume that he didn't go out and buy chromed pipe for this project just to paint over it, and it was just something he had laying around in his "future parts" stockpile.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
If you have noticed...there is very little that he had to go shopping for...seems he had most of the stuff right there just waiting to be put to good use....and good use it got...I can't imagine being able to make that even if it came in a kit

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
I originally thought the same thing, but then I realized that it was probably what the had on hand that fit the needed purpose. I assume that he didn't go out and buy chromed pipe for this project just to paint over it, and it was just something he had laying around in his "future parts" stockpile.
You can't hardly find these old chrome plated waterlines anymore, especially the 3 foot long ones.
Lowe's doesn't carry them anymore and they can't even order them.
Everyone has gone to the rubber lines that have the woven plastic or woven metal covering.

I use these for the chrome gas lines on street rod engines.
I needed one when I was working on the model-T and I bought a batch of 8 of them off ebay.

The advantage of using the chrome plated tubes instead of regular plain copper tube is that the paint will stick better to the sand blasted chrome then it will to the plain copper, even when it is sand blasted.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·
IT RUNS AGAIN !

Just a short test but I'm pleased with it so far.
The clutch seams to work well.
The wire that I connected to the points to shut the mag off works good too.

I need to do some adjusting on the carburetor.
Both steering brakes need to be adjusted but I really don't want to work on them until I can get it outside where I can drive it around without worrying about running into something.

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
And to think I keep scraping that stuff. Brass and copper brings a premium.

·
Super Moderator
10,110 Posts
Ray..that is a great video...but someone commented with a link to a bogus site..I know it happened to @PA318Guy a little while back...maybe he can tell you how to get rid of it

221 - 240 of 269 Posts