My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This post is going to start out running all over the place so pay attention or you may get lost .......

The model-T is up to as far as I'm going to take it and I'm just waiting on some parts before I can get the engine running.
Once the engine is running .. then I am going to put it up for sale so then I'll be waiting some more until it sells ( and that may just take awhile ).

So ... my next big project is to finish a 1947 Plymouth convertible that I bought way back in 1968.
I paid $ 35 for it at that time. It didn't run and when you opened the door you could see the grass that was under it because the floor was all rotted out of it.
Unfortunately I do not have any photos of what it looked like then but this is what it looked like in 1972. We lived in Traverse City, Michigan and that little girl standing beside it is 53 years old now.

Behind it is my 64 Jeep woody. I made the top from the back of a VW bus and the windows for the doors came out of a 57 Plymouth two door hardtop.
I used the Plymouth mechanism in the wood doors so I could crank the windows up and down. The Jeep had a turbocharged 215 CID Aluminum V-8 engine out of a 1963 Olds Cutlass.

1972  TC.jpg

1972 -.jpg

We drove 47 for our vacation to Florida in 1973 and this photo was taken at Bradenton Beach.

1973 Florida.jpg

Heading back home from that vacation, we ran into snow and I had to pull over and take this photo south of Atlanta.

73 vacation.jpg

We moved to Goshen Indiana in 1974 and I drove the car for a couple of years more. It still had the old flathead six in it and it started using oil so I decided it was time to make a street rod out of it. The old six cylinder came out and that was the last that the car was ever on the road.

I was working a minimum 50 week working on the Plymouth off and on. The years went by and I built up and drove other old cars and motorcycles and the Plymouth kept being being pushed farther down the priority list.
Over the years, I've had several old cars that I finished and drove for awhile. The oldest was a 1936 Plymouth 4-door Special Deluxe and the newest was a 1960 Chevy El Camino. I also built a few street rods up for other people.

As time went by we would get hard up for money or I would se something else that I wanted more then what I was driving so I would sell the car I was driving at that time.
That is the only reason that I still have this 47 Plymouth. All those years, I had never gotten it completed enough to where it was worth anything so it never went up for sale.
I did have it running for a little while in the late 80's with a 350 Chevy engine in it but it wasn't anywhere close to being able to put on the street.

The 350 Chevy engine that was in it then ended up being the first engine in my 1959 Chevy truck when I first put the truck on the road in 1995. I have been driving the truck regularly ever since 95 and it hasn't gotten sold simple because it has always been worth more to me then what anyone would have been willing to pay for it.

So ... here we are in March of 2021 and the 47 Plymouth has been sitting in storage, with no engine in it since 1995.
This is what it looked like yesterday sitting in the back of my son's garage.

March-3, 2021.JPG

That red convertible top was put on new in the early 90's but I'm sure it would brake into little tiny pieces if I tried to raise it up now.
Since I stole the Chevy engine out of it I have put this engine together to go in it instead.

57 Hemi 354.jpg

This is another 1957 Chrysler 354 Hemi with Holly 2-berral, tripower carburetors. This photo shows a 3-speed transmission on it but it has since had a 350 Chevy automatic adapted to it to go into the Plymouth.

.......................... Okay .. now, I cant bring this over to my garage yet because the model-T is still sitting in the spot where I need to put the 47 Plymouth to work on it.
Also .. there is no point in starting on the Plymouth until after the model-T is sold because I won't have enough money to work on it until then.

Some of you will remember this cart that I had built out of an old Bolens Ridemaster. We used this a lot when we tractor shows and that trailer bed on the back sure came in handy.
I sold this but I would still like to have something like this to run around on at the shows.

B9.JPG

I have been to a few tractor shows down here and I've been using the R/T tractor to run around on. It works out al right but I miss not having the trailer box and I can't take a rider along with me on the R/T.

So while I'm waiting on parts for the model-T and then waiting for it to sell, I'm going to build another 2 - person cart with a trailer box on it.
This is a 1939 Standard Twin Viking model ( originally a 2-wheel garden tractor ).
I got this from my good friend, Jerome Wilber and someone had converted it to a riding tractor with rear wheel steering.

21.JPG

I also got this garden trailer box from Jerome at the same time.

8.JPG

·
Super Moderator
10,243 Posts
Ray...I think you have a few of us hooked on your projects....your mechanical skill is really something to be appreciated...and kind of spellbinding...where did you learn all of this?...Definitely going to have an eye out for updates on these projects (y)

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ray...I think you have a few of us hooked on your projects....your mechanical skill is really something to be appreciated...and kind of spellbinding...where did you learn all of this?...Definitely going to have an eye out for updates on these projects (y)
Thank you.

I have always built things. As a kid, I never had a new bicycle .. I always had a bike like no ones else's though because I built one from parts of other bikes.
Like most other kids back in the 50's and 60's, I built go carts and mini bikes too.

When I was 16, I worked after school for a Elmer Ames. A frind of ours that owned a body shop in Margate, Florida.
In the fall of 1963, when I was 17, I bought This 1950 ford for $150 ( I put the side chrome trim on it .. it's off a 56 Ford .. I think ? ).

1950 Ford in 1963.jpg

In the spring of 1964 this is how the Ford looked.
I also did the 56 Pontiac behind it and sold it. These two cars got me started.

50 Ford and 56 Pontiac in 1964.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, this brings back memories. I had a red 47 Plymouth convertible too, when I was in high school. Paid $200 for it, it had a black top. Sold it for $225, then bought a tan 1950 Ford for $300. This was in 1954- 1956, good times. Good luck on your project,

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,268 Posts
Thanks for taking us back through the years, Ray. Wonderful pictures. It really takes me back to a time and folks that I'll never forget. Looking forward to your next project, as always, sir.

Reactions: jdcrawler

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,701 Posts
Some great history there, Ray. With all the building projects you have had over the years it's easy to see why you know so much about it. Everything you do seems to come out perfect, at least to our eyes. 🤓

·
Super Moderator
36,739 Posts
Will be tuned in to the JDCrawler channel for these two...I'm always tuned in though! Looking forward to seeing how these come out and the Model T getting finished as well.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've had the Viking tractor stored up in the loft of my garage and I spent about an hour moving things around so I could get it out.
I use my forklift for my elevator to access the loft.

DSC03600.JPG

This is what a 1939 Viking tractor looked like from the factory.
These tractors were started with a hand crank but I have put a starter / generator on mine for electric start.

Viking 1939.jpg

The only difference between a Standard Twin garden tractor and the Viking garden tractor is that the Viking had the sheet metal for the grille, hood and side panels.
The engine on the Standard Twin was fully exposed.

I know you could get steel or rubber tires on the Standard Twin but I do not know if the Viking was available with rubber tires as an option.
Either way, my tractor originally had steel wheels like in the photo.
Some one has cut the steel wheels off and put regular 15 inch car wheels on it.
Notice .. there aren't any lug bolts holding these car wheels on.

DSC03606.JPG

They are welded to what is left of the spokes from the old steel wheels.

DSC03605.JPG

I have a pair of old 16 inch Kelsey Hays wire wheels that have a lot of sentimental value to me and I have been dragging them around with me ever since 1963.
These wheels came off the back of my older brother's 1932 ford.
You can see them in this photo with stainless trim rings on them.

Jan & 1932 Ford.jpg

Jan ( my brother ) was 10 years older then me and he had bought this car when he was a senior in high school in 1954. He was killed in the family car in February of 1963 when he was hit head on by a drunk driver. His 32 ended up being sold and the guy that bought it didn't want the rear wheels because they are split rim clincher wheels. Back then we had several old Ford wheels laying around so dad took the Kelsey Hays wheels off and put a pair of regular Ford wire wheels on.

Here are those wheels with the white paint still on them.
You can see the marks where the paint has been scraped off around the inside of the rim from removing the trim rims.
I still have the trim rims but they're still packed away some place.

DSC03604.JPG

All I have of the Viking sheet metal is the formed rear hood brace and the front grille panel.
Because I was missing the hood and both side panels, I had originally planned on selling the rear hood brace and the grille to someone that needed them to restore their Viking tractor.
Since then I have decided to go ahead and use the Viking sheet metal and that is probably going to get some one upset with me.
This grille is in very good condition and I am going to go and cut part of it away for clearance for the starter / generator.

I have taken the gas tank off and bolted the rear hood brace in place.

DSC03608.JPG

The original carburetor that was in the box of parts that I got with this tractor was missing some parts. Since I wasn't going to restore the tractor, I adapted a more modern Briggs & Stratton carburetor to it.
As you can see, this carburetor sticks out past the side of the rear hood brace. So I'm only going to put the top hood panel on it and leave the sides open.

DSC03609.JPG

I'm already getting a kink in my back from bending over while working on this so I hauled it up in the air and set it on stands.

DSC03610.JPG

Here is that nice grille panel fastened in place with the lower right corner chopped off.

DSC03611.JPG

·
15,701 Posts
Sorry you lost your brother at such a young age. The memories live on.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
GOSHEN INDIANA where they make Shasta campers like my 1968 compact and my 1971 stratoflyte . O and my grandfather knew the dodge Brothers he said they would tear up a bar than send people around to pay the damages he was born in 1889 .

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Citizen of Earth
15,900 Posts
That is some wonderful family history. You should print out these posts and hand them to some interested and responsible young person in the family to preserve the history. I have some boxes of photos that I have no idea who the people are or when they were taken, except that they are "family". I do know some of the stories about long lost relatives, but I have no children of my own to pass them on to. And once the stories are gone, they can't be brought back.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I'm going to use this old piece of galvanized metal to make the hood.
Here I have bent one edge up on it on my smaller brake.

DSC03615.JPG

Then I run it thru the roller to flatten that edge down.

DSC03617.JPG

Ready to bend up the opposite edge.
All four sides have been bent over to create smooth rounded edges with double metal thickness around the edges.

DSC03613.JPG

Back in the late 80's, I built this 3-roller sheet metal roller.

DSC03620.JPG

The sheet metal is clamped between the first two rollers and the back roller is moved forward or backward to control the amount of the curve.
For this piece, the back roller is drawn up tight to make the radius of the curve as small as I can get it.

DSC03619.JPG

The piece is put in my larger brake and a slight bend is put into the center of it.

DSC03622.JPG

Here is how the hood looks so far.

DSC03623.JPG

I'm rolling a bead along the two side edges to make them a little more ridged.

DSC03625.JPG

The outside of the hood is primed and mounted on the tractor.

DSC03627.JPG

Here is a closer look at the beaded edge.

DSC03633.JPG

·
Super Moderator
10,243 Posts
I don't know if your vision in these projects...or your mechanical skills are more remarkable...it must be a distraction to take the pictures and post the commentary......it is appreciated, so thank you for taking the time...and exercising your patience

·
15,701 Posts
That hood fits like a glove. Perfect bends.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,900 Posts
My dad was a "tin knocker" most of his life. He described what he did was massaging the metal. It is a skill and talent to do it as well as you.

1 - 20 of 344 Posts