My Tractor Forum banner

New project....

7K views 60 replies 14 participants last post by  grumpy221966 
#1 ·
Found a new project to do, craftsman 917.255913 is the model number, the man I got it from said it ran but may need a carb kit. It wouldn't start ,got it home pulled the right side spark plug,( if you standing in front) well it was packed with dirt.put in one of my old plugs from my other one.stillnothing.checked compression, nothing,left side had some don't remember the amount but I think it was 80-90 .now that I take the right side head I see why there's no compression, take off the front plate got to looking ,now I see why the piston wasn't move. REBUILD TIME.

See less See more
#2 ·
The more I dig the more I found . Found this when cleaning the front plate. Wondering how to fix, or get a new one

#4 ·
Well got the motor out, got it torn down, and just as I thought ,found the bolts for the end cap, looked at the cam didn't look damaged but the crank y'all tell me, can it be turned or should I start looking for one.the pic of the top of the piston is of the good one, if you want to call it good.

#5 ·
Scoring and build up from rod bearings, (might be salvageable, engine shop will need to check that). What does block look like? Cam looks good, pistons/rings, rods, all bearings will be replaced (SOP). What about valves, valve guides, valve seats, lifter, springs?

#6 ·
Well I looked at the block, didn't see any scoring Cuts cracks. All the valves didn't look bent Springs look good keepers look good the blocks just dirty and nasty. If I get home in time Friday I'll take the block and get it cleaned and get the crank check. Sitting here waiting to be loaded to go to Bowling Green Kentucky.

#8 ·
It might not be needed, but most of the rebuild manuals I've got through say to keep the various valves/lifters/pistons/etc in the same spot as before. If the bits are small enough, I just stuff them in a sandwich bag and put a label inside to indicate where they belong, bigger stuff I'll either have a separate box or use a marker on the part (need to be careful when cleaning, as the marker can also come off).

#10 ·
Well I did get the block somewhat cleaner then it was, did that Saturday, today was a good day . background the first picture (Fred) is of the first one I got, needs to be rebuilt now but might do it after the one I'm on now .pic of model # and serial number is the one I'm redoing now, lots of cleaning of parts , sidenote ,found the tag on the trans.forgot to get a pic. Even the starter is gumed up with dirt. Was thinking about cleaning it up and checking to see if it works.but that will be later . taking the block and crank to machine shop tomorrow. Found a drive pulley broken. Dirt was everwhere.the deck shown is a 50" deck needs some love to. I got it from a guy in Charlotte. The other one was used by the wife for awhile, but was given a free Troy-Bilt and she likes it better. The one I'm redoing has a 44" deck with it,it to will get redone also. Till next weekend.

#11 ·
Took the block and crank to get checked. He said no guarantee on the crank, but he'll do what he can. So we'll sit and wait.

#12 ·
The guy called yesterday said he can fix the crank, thank goodness, don't have to look for one now.

#13 ·
Got to clean some parts Sunday, went to clean the carb ,stuck a cleaning thing in the small brass hole, and pop , the little metal cleaning thing broke. So. Does anybody know how to get it out .the picture with the green circle is what I'm talking about. If I have to I'll get a new one but I really like to get that small pin out. The picture of the rag is how dirty the plastic block was in the pump . more later.

#14 ·
It's not going to be easy to extract that,especially if it was forced in tight before it broke..
Might try warming the casting up with something like a micro torch or propane torch,and apply compressed air in the other jet holes,perhaps the air will blow out the busted pin..(like a bullet,so wear safety glasses!)..but it may prove to be permanently stuck,and there is no easy way out,replacing the carb may be the only solution..

#17 ·
Didn't get anything done over the weekend, was the wife's 50 birthday ,will try to call the guy with the block and crank to see if has done . till next weekend.

#19 ·
It's bottom the brass piece I want out its what's inside the brass piece issues what needs to come out. It's a very small piece that looks like this .but it doesn't have bristles on it.

#20 ·
Well got the block and crank back Friday, block is cleaner then it was . the crank is now a 10/10 crank ,can someone explain that, I'm thinking it's 10 over. I don't know. Still haven't ordered any parts the financial advisor ( wife ) says not yet. But here is the before and after of the crank.

#22 ·
Well I think I've got a name for this new project, think I'll call this the Dirt Mower. Got the starter out and cleaned the outside up. Then the got the flywheel out and cleaned & vacuumed the Dirt out of it.the picture of the box is of the dirt off the starter. Look at pictures of the flywheel. Ya it had a lot packed in it to. The starter wiggles will try to upload video later.

#24 ·
This is the best I can do for now. The shaft wiggles from bottom to top, is there supposed to be a bushing or the one in it worn out or missing something. Take note it turned over the motor better then the one on Fred,so for right now that's all I'm doing to it, I might take the one off Fred to see what's going now there.this is the one off dirt mower. Got a number I'll try looking it up later to see if I can see a schematic of it.:(

#25 ·
Well no work on the dirt mower this past weekend but I do have a question. Has anybody heard of alumiweld rods and do they work real good like on TV. Would like to do the cover pictured below with that to see if it works.

#26 ·
Yes bushing worn out.
Auto part Wheel Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Rim

Might be able to find one to replace it, if you can measure ID, OD, and length.
To find ID you will have to measure the shaft. That shaft should fit tight in the bushing.
Other end is probably worn out also.

That number you found is probably just the number of that aluminum housing part.

What model number engine is this? Look on the shroud from around the engine.
Model number should be stamped in the shroud.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.