My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craftsman 536.25767000 followed me home tonight. Interesting mower, I've seen it in action. Reminds me of an aardvark. LOL Owner says it currently does not run. He thinks it is having carburetor problems. I will see. Neighbor is moving from here in Oklahoma back home to Illinois. He seen I had been working on some tractors and wanted to know if I wanted it before he hauled it off to the junkyard. I said sure! Now it sits in my garage.

Just downloaded the manual from Sears.

Sorry for the bad pics. Phone was dead and I borrowed my daughter's camera. Also dark in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Other than a busted hood, everything seems mechanically sound. The motor is free, but I plan on going over it as thorough as I know how. My dad has the same motor from a Murray that he has been wanting to give me, so if I need parts; I should be good.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right off appears to have a burned up starter. My dad just happens to have one of these engines lying around with a busted carb. I'll grab that and give it a go. The guy had a SS15 sitting beside this tractor. Too bad it had a home already or it may have followed me as well. LOL

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cleaner shots of the mower. Right front aired right up (after these pix) and has held air now a couple days.

Attachments

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,202 Posts
nice wide tires for a mid size mower :)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know, it's crazy. Even if I invert my wheels on my Hydro, I don't think it would get this wide. Front and rear turn like they are suppose to. I hope to get this thing started in the next few weeks. Last I seen it running was Summer '14. It seems to have good compression turning by hand. If motor appears bad, I have a donor motor that will work at my parents.

Once running:
  • Fix the hood
  • tune it up
  • change the front lights maybe?
  • add a tail light(s)
  • check the mower deck (replace blades as needed)
Then I may consider leaving original or custom paint next spring/summer,

ps: I have taken the tins off the motor and no varmints in there or nests! YAY!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Checked oil, good and no smell of gas. Got it to spin with help to check spark. That was good. Put in about a pint of gas in the tank to see if I can get it to start. After several trys, got it to fire right up. Ran solid with the choke, so I have a little work to do outside the starter. But this is do-able!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, that was easier than planned. I popped off the carb and the starter. Carb was all full of boogers. Disassembled and soaked it. Took the starter apart, looked good and not burned. Only thing wrong was one of the magnets slipped out of place. Put it back in place and fixed the tabs inside that hold it in place. Reassembled. After soaking the carb for several hours I was left with a lot of gunk in the bottom of my bucket. Rinsed and blew out the jets and holes and reassembled. Gave the starter a go and it worked. No starter needed now. Once the gas got to the carb, it fired right up and once warm I was able to run good off choke. Took a victory lap around the yard! LOL

Now to move forward with the other plans. I think I have an idea to fix the hood already!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm.. encountered my first real problem. Got it running good was driving around, even kicked in the mower deck. All seemed good till I tried to go up hill. I started loosing momentum and almost stopped. No drag on the motor. Couple things I plan on checking, first the clutch spring. Make sure it is keeping the belt tight (i did replace the drive belt), another thing I plan on checking is any possible sheered keys. I hope the transmission is not kaput. I don't know if my spare one is the right kind.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have a craftsman with a 19hp twin ic gold motor on it you will never find a better line of motors!! They run awesome and sound great but tear through fuel..

·
Registered
177 Posts
had one similar to yours with a 20 hp kohler mag,I bought it mowed maybe 4 tomes with it and the same happened to me move on flat ground good but hit a little hill and it would stop,turned out to be the transaxle was shot,it got sold for parts

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
nice wide tires for a mid size mower :)
I think they are so wide because this thing has a regular transmission it looks with these steering devices attached where "normal" tires would go. Then you have these DEEP dish wheels that try to cover that and bring the tires back to the tractor.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hopefully a simple fix
Turned out I had the belt maladjusted. It has a slider to adjust the tension pulley. When I put the new belt it slid out of place. Tightened the belt and now can climb a hill like a champ.

:thThumbsU

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update, lot of work today.

Once running: **CHECK**
Fix the hood **CHECK**
tune it up **CHECK**
change the front lights maybe? Maybe, but current lights are good enough for now.
add a tail light(s) Purchased
check the mower deck (replace blades as needed) **CHECK and the blades on it are NEW**

Then I may consider leaving original or custom paint next spring/summer, A few months to go. Anyone here have any experience painting "plastic"? The hood on this thing is all plastic.

Did some leave mulching today.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Very nice resurrection you've got going!

:)

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made a bracket for the broken hood.

Attachments

·
Registered
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:Stop::Stop::Stop:
ARGH! Whoa, close call last night.

I was using the 75 Suburban last night in the yard doing some cleanup. Was in a mode and not fully thinking what I was doing. I jumped on the all wheel steer to do a little mulching, and to have some fun on the new toy. Not paying attention, I pressed down the left side petal and popped it into gear and OFF I WENT! Still not realizing what I was doing yet; i was thinking, "Why is the clutch/brake not working!" After about 10 feet and narrowly missing the corner of the house and the front of the van, I realized. WRONG SIDE! This one the brake clutch is on the right! I stopped the tractor, took a breath and was thankful I didn't hit anything. :praying: LOL Got to be focused a bit more jumping from tractor to tractor.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,063 Posts
When I had a Compact,if I used that tractor for awhile,then got on my Suburban,I'd put the Suburban in reverse EVERY time ,instead of first!..the shift pattern was just the opposite of the Compacts..but both tractors looked so similar from the seat,it was easy to forget which one you were driving..I backed into a few things because of that,also ripped the moulding off my garage's overhead door opening one winter..

1 - 20 of 33 Posts