My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 2yrs of waiting, yesterday I was finally able to buy a 13hp Ruggerini vertical shaft single cylinder diesel engine The only obstacle was driving 10 hours round trip to pick it up...was it worth it...heck yeah! This one will replace a Kohler Command 22hp twin (great condition) on the GT. Here are a few pics and a video.

View My Video

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Is that actually a vertical shaft? What would you find that particular engine in?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes its a vert. The guy had a few of them that were found in new in crates stored at commercial chicken farm. So I really don't know. The mounting bolt pattern is the standard one that B&S, Kawasaki,etc.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
What model number is it?

·
NOT ENOUGH MUD OR SNOW!!!
725 Posts
Get her repowered and get us a vid of her sootin' while workin'! Great find dude, wouldn't mind having that on my Craftsman GT!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Very nice!

·
16,611 Posts
Yes its a vert. The guy had a few of them that were found in new in crates stored at commercial chicken farm. So I really don't know. The mounting bolt pattern is the standard one that B&S, Kawasaki,etc.
At a chicken farm? Wow--maybe to run gas heaters or bigh conveyors--who knows???

wierd--some of the stuff I read about on here---:dunno:just amazing....

Love to see pictures of your project as you go along--

glenn

·
ADMINISTRATOR
15,842 Posts
Looking forward to the re-power. Great find :fing32:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the replies, I'm very excited also. The tag states the model # RF109, 13 [email protected] 3000 rpm and I just noticed there are not electronics on it, voltage regulator, stator or alternator, just electric starter. Also, the top cover is hinged to access the flywheel for backup recoil start with decompression lever.

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I searched but couldn't find any info on that engine, other then plenty of replacement starters and info on oil filters.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've found a shop in Virginia for parts and manuals. The engine size is 483cc's and has a oil bath air filter set up. I have a few pic of the swap so far, and a video of the Kohler running...I love that sound with the glass pack muffler!

View My Video

·
MTF New Poster
2,163 Posts
No alternator or Generator means the battery will need charging from time to time.The abundance of replacement starters is probably to replace those that burn up from starting on a weak battery.A diesel has a lot more compression than a gas engine.How much that one has,I can only guess.You could probably use the rope start pulley to drive a small alternator or dynamo.
Here's a net dynamo set up. http://www.n56ml.com/corvair/dynamo.html

1 - 20 of 39 Posts