My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First thing I did was swap on a pair of rear tires after the photos that were round all the way around the tread.
Looking it over close for the first time since the buy, it looks like a good tank swapped on. and I see an "off-on" switch made into the top of the fan shroud..surely not factory.
The engine barely moved at the auction but checking it out, the shroud is full of acorns & sticks. It's coming out first thing.
Engine MAY be ok, but the welch plug is gone off the carb and probably got ran until it smoked I imagine.
I was going to swap in a 10hp off a 110 I got several years ago for my Landlord 101 thats ready to drop in, but this "road killed" 16hp was looking at me so sadly...
It came with a junk wheelhorse I got for the 8 speed transmission & hubs for $35. Someone had swapped it in I guess and the wheelhorse and engine both looked like they fell off a trailer at some speed, and the engine must have come loose. Intake was broken off, shroud is mashed and up against flywheel, but we know where I can get sheetmetal. Crank looks the same. I will take the shroud off and check the compression. May have a free 16hp upgrade and be able to keep the 10hp for the Landlord.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It would be nice to get a running engine in there and see where I'm at mechanicly with the rest of it before starting a real restoration.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nice find!! Look forward to your progress!

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
What are the numbers off the engine currently in the tractor? It might already be a 16hp replacement.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J-635425 is what is on the silver tag on top, anything else will have to wait until I get it out. Real life interfered already and I have to make the hour drive to Marion IL with my wife for dinner & a movie and most importantly, to get our 3rd "Forever" sump pump from Sears. That one lasted just over a year. Maybe forever to a fruit fly.

·
Deceased March 2015
1,312 Posts
I have 2 _ 7016 both have that switch in the fan shroud amd mine are a 1992 and a 1995 they also have electronic ignition you may already have a replacement engine. Another great find. Good Luck.

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some progress this morning. Took the shroud off the 16hp...well, the coil looks like it shouldn't have gotten cold last winter. Fluff on top, nuts & poo on the bottom. This thing was a mouse house dream setup.
And the one in the Allis is also stuck from nuts.
That Allis Grill is as straight as the day it was made. Too bad the chrome is bad.
Now is the time to remove the muffler with my little pipe wrench. It came out ok with a little effort.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eeeessh. Scraping and shoveling time. There is a problem that may be big or not. The reason the engine wouldn't turn without a struggle isn't the engine, the gearbox the shaft goes to won't turn without a fight. I'll check the belts & brakes. The battery was a '90 so it has sat for 20 years more or less.
ACmowerguy wins the prize..it has an I/C 16hp in it already. I'll probably just go ahead and try running it with the red one since I'll have to take off the sheetmetal and clean it anyway. Assuming I get to the bottom of the non turning problem.

Attachments

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
Personally, I like the look of the 3-belt version, just because it looks more vintage, and has that big ol rats nest of belt confusion going on. That's about where it ends. I don't think I would ever buy one to use. I would hold out for a single belt if I needed a blower. That being said, if I had a 3-belt on hand, and it snowed, I'd use it. Beats shoveling.

I wouldn't mind picking up a super cheap one if it was in tip top shape, but only because it would look neat on my 700 at shows. There is a pair of 3-belt blowers very near me on CL for $100...I couldn't drive up the road for them at $50 each. For half that, I'd probably take them off his hands and pawn one.

I've seen taht mouse nest on nearly every machine I've picked up. Even one of my own had it once, after barn storage. It takes them no time at all to move in!

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the think that killed it 20 years ago was the worn out drive belt coming out of the pully groove and getting wedged tight against the guard. I couldn't budge it until I took off the guard and then it spun freely again.
The resevoir was completely dry. I tried to spin it with a drill and a socket but I don't think I was pumping anything. I'm thinking I need to take off the top inlet hose to the pump and fill it up some to get it primed. I'd just like to see the hydro spin the tires before I proceed, at least a little. Probably not getting much RPM's with the drill, but it should do some pumping. And I can look for a puddle if its leaking anywhere tonight.
n Just stop me if it looks like I'm taking too much apart...Guess I need to go ahead with resoring it from here. Sure not going to be swapping engines and driving it this far apart, though I could rig an engine back in there up on stands to see the trans work at normal speed. Probably what I'll end up doing..after major cleaning.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
D'OUH! It came to me that I had the roll valve switched so I could roll it in the shop. Tried it again with the lever in the operating position and it runs forward & reverse just fine.
Senior moment.

·
'Simple' MTF Member
4,447 Posts
=] I read the first post and was going to inquire...make sure that resevoir is filled to the fill hole. Probably be worth flushing that system at some point, if the resevoir was dry. They are a sweet tranny and can take a lot of abuse, but you don't want it poopin out on you after getting the tractor done.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Glad things turned out OK on the trans. You will love this tractor. The vickers is a very smooth operating hydro. You might want to check the hoses for dry rot and replace them as long as your taking everything apart.

·
Registered
8 Posts
that little pipe wrench shoulda done the trick! nice old tractor. hb is coveted here - nice find. anxious to see it progress.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like a great project! Have to admit I am pretty jealous, seems like most everyone has the 16hp briggs....I want on too!

By the way, a little trick for the muffler is to go from the 4ft pipe wrench to the 10 footer!!!!

Just kidding!

~Ed

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scraped it loose and degreased it, them pressure washed it. (ran the gas out of the washer on purpose and drained it of water in preparation for cold Winter stuff.)
Put the back half into the tractor parking lot for now. It will get degreased completely, then sprayed semigloss black.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Front half is on the painting/sandblasting wagon waiting better weather. (windy and humid)
Steering gears are completely shot. Small gear is flopping loose on the bolt and teeth are worn down and pitted beyond doing anything with... It skips teeth.
The search begins.

Attachments

·
MTF Junior Poster Esq.
7,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The search ends. Joe just listed one on ebay from a Simplicity, so I nabbed it. If Joes Outdoor products has it, its good, and the best price.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts