My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum but not JD. I bought an LT166 in 1998 and it has ran great for the past 12 years. I have lived in three different houses with the Deere and I can honestly say I had one of the best looking yards in each neighborhood if not the best. I know I could easily get another 12 years out of it. I have lived in my current house for 5 years. My problem started with my very large front yard. I have the Freedom 42in mulching deck and hadn't had any problems with any of my other yards. When it rains the mulched clippings will "ride the waves" and settle in the yard. So I end up with clumps of grass clippings killing out patches of grass. I figured that I need a deck with a bagger. A thatcher helped but did not get rid of the problem. I went to the JD dealership and they told me it would be $3,000!!! to get a new deck with a bagger. I figured I would just live with the yard. I tried mowing more often trying to just cut the top one third but it hasn't worked. It has been a couple of years and the problem continues to get worse. About a month ago I went to the JD dealership and talked to them. They looked some things up and told me I could get a deck and bagger for a little less than $1,000 if I could use the pullies off of my current deck. I was pretty excited and started saving my pennies. I called to order the deck last week and they acted like I lost my mind that I thought someone there had said I could get a deck and bagger for $1,000. They said it would cost around $2,000 since they don't sell it as a kit any more. The dealership told me they would sell me an X300 with bagger for $3,700 plus tax. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy. I started looking around on line at the X300 thinking if I spend another $1,000 I can get a new mower. I didn't want to spend over $3,000 but couldn't find a new X300 with a bagger for that kind of money. I looked at slightly used ones and they were still over $3,000 and I couldn't find any with a bagger. I finally found one on line about three hours away that someone had returned under the JD 30 day guarantee with 5 hours on it for less than $3,000. So I saved $1,000 from what my dealership wanted. I went and picked it up a couple of days ago. Here are some pics.
New X300 and LT166

New X300 after some light work

LT166 new in 1998 with my daughter who is now 15

·
Super Moderator
16,473 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:
Nice looking Deeres

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Nice tracs! and welcome to the forums :)

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Welcome to MTF... Good looking tractors you got there!!!

·
Registered
3,953 Posts
great looking stuff, equipment and lawn!

TO ALL: PLEASE think twice about riding with a young one aboard. Even on a flat property, she slips and arm/leg GONE! My GF's good friend had it happen to their son just about 18 months ago, the family will NEVER be the same! (arm gone above the elbow)

not being preachy just a little personal info!

live long, ride green! :trink40:

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,933 Posts
great looking stuff, equipment and lawn!

TO ALL: PLEASE think twice about riding with a young one aboard. Even on a flat property, she slips and arm/leg GONE! My GF's good friend had it happen to their son just about 18 months ago, the family will NEVER be the same! (arm gone above the elbow)

not being preachy just a little personal info!

live long, ride green! :trink40:
When I think back to riding as a wee youngster with my grandfather on his '67 JD 112, with its long-throw clutch, and the variator and the hand brake and the shifter stuck between my tiny legs, then I fast-forward to ME on my "modern" 160 and I think about how much work IT is for me as a grown-up to manage, all I can say is "WOW, he must have been one heck of a tractor-jockey!"... well, that and, "No WAY am I good enough at managing MY tractor to take along a squirming, unpredictable kidlet, even one whose my own!"

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I know. I watched the safety DVD that came with the tractor. This picture is the first thing I thought of. However, it is the only picture I have of it new. Don't worry she is safe now because she would never attempt to get back on it AND MOW THE YARD!

BTW what is the best way to sell the LT166, Ebay, Craigslist, do they have a for sale section on this web site?

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Don't worry she is safe now because she would never attempt to get back on it AND MOW THE YARD!
Too true. When my now-28 year-old was 15 I tried to convince her a riding mower was good practice for learning how to drive. Kids these days are pretty smart.

·
16,520 Posts
Try here (Sale section) and local Craigslist first...Clean it up good, and post several pictures...

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have already waxed it and just need to get the pressure washer on the tires. What would be a good asking price for the LT166?

Do you have some sort of heater in that cab?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts