My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently built a new 32' x 40' x 10' pole building for a workshop and here in Kansas we had some snow and rain moisture wise and when finishing out the interior of the building, I noticed areas of moisture on the top of the pressure treated splash/rim board on the inside of the building. It is not continuous it is rather spotty. The building has a 5" concrete floor and approx. 2" of the rim/splash board is exposed on the interior and it does have the 3" poly backed insulation installed on the building behind the metal exterior. The moisture is showing up on the top edge of the splash/rim board behind the vapor barrier on the insulation, so it could be even be showing up on the bottom edge of the insulation also because in one spot early in the morning there was a area of frost on the outside of the vapor barrier on the inside of the building. I just thought I would fix the issue if I could while it is new to prevent further damage. I thought I would throw this out to the forum to see what the problem could be and what the fix should be with all the DIYers and professional builders in the forum, I thought I might find the needed info. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
It's condensation or sweating as some call it, my metal covered deck & shop both do it, going from cold overnight to warming temps during the day.
I think you'd basically need to heat/cool the building to keep it from happening.

Ronnie

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
My metal pole building does it to and mine does it mainly in the corners but a couple other spots also. It has done this since it was built 18 years ago and I tried all sorts things to prevent it and just gave up as the wood is all pressure treated and none of it has rotted any, just leaves stains so I quit trying to fix something that just naturally occurs.

·
Once again a Super Member
13,711 Posts
I agree with Michael and Ronnie; it would cost you a lot of money to remedy this situation. It is the nature of the beasts and it's cheaper to live with it.

·
close enuff works for me
3,357 Posts
It takes time for cement to cure ,there is a fair amount of moisture coming out of your 5" of concrete...Is it light grey like 3 -4 year old concrete,or still dark and full of moisture? Also have you graded the dirt around the barn so all the rain with run away from the barn ,not against it.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Down here on the coast we have terrible humidity. If you don't leave air space between the metal and insulation the moisture will ruin the metal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.