My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner of a much in need of repairs Bolens HT20! Ill will have many questions and needs for reources and I am hoping this forum can help!
Jeremy

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Welcome to MTF. This forum will definitely be able to help you out. :wwp: of your tractor!

Jason

·
5,525 Posts
Welcome! Nice to see another large frame guy.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Welcome to MTF we like pics

·
Registered
829 Posts
:MTF_wel::wwp:

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
:Welcome1: Always great to have another Bolens owner on here! Whereabouts in Maine? I grew up in Hampden, next down the river from Bangor.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always nice to see another Mainer! I live in Oakland about 50 min south of Bangor. I am hoping to find parts suppliers for this tractor because its really a nice one, just been a bit neglected:(

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
My grandparents had a summer place over on Cape Rosier, my sister did summer waitress work at the Oakland House, and I still have an aunt living in So. Brooksville. Small world.

·
Bolens 1886-01
3,192 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It's nice to see another large frame person here. I'm in Southern NH about 30 minutes from South Berwick.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Newer HT20 owner as well looking for other 54" deck folks that would be willing to help define some dimensions in the deck idler system....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got an HT20 with 54" mower (18071). Had an idler pulley go out (top in pic below) and found I have a mess with joint where of the pulley supporting the dual idler (bottom pulley in pic below).

It appears I do not have original hardware (spacers and bushings) which is cocking the assembly so my new idler is sure to fail again unless I find some corrective parts. Problem is I am not sure what is original and what was put together to get it to 'kind of work' up to this point?

I sent some emails based on the parts supplier thread but I can't get dimensions and information to verify what parts I need to order and what I have....

Concern is what do these look like (pic and critical dimensions)
171-8651 spacer
(found website calling for dia 0.625 x height 0.39 x thick 0.2)
This matches my setup on the top pulley 'item 9'

171-4299 bushing (nylon?) - (H, small dia, large dia, internally steel?)
I know i don't have these....

172-2884 spacer - (H, small dia, large dia)
I have something similar (h = 0.93", small dia .625, large dia 1", small dia height 0.51", large diameter height 0.41", ID 0.37")

I believe the idler arms (top and bottom) are original but not completely sure... really only need dimension on large hole on upper and lower brackets. Mine both measure ID at ~0.687 or 11/16" diameter.

No pics now but referencing a mower deck diagram 18071-01-02.pdf from sonnybolens webpage as below - it is the closest to what I have....

:thanku:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Welcome. There is a right and wrong side to put those idlers. I rebuilt a 54" deck at the beginning of this summer. All new spindles, bearing and guide wheel axles.Still waiting on a set if Gator blades for it. I took apart a 48 inch deck to rebuild but after finding that the pan was so bad I declined to do it. I will look to see if the parts you are looking for are there and can be measured.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Location on the deck I am good with, just having the proper components and identifying original parts versus 'makedo' parts in the "bottom" exploded pulley view is really the concern...

·
Bolens G16YT aka 2016G
318 Posts
This list of Old Bolens Parts Suppliers, (org posted by: AEGT5000) has helped me obtain parts I did not think I'd ever find...:thThumbsU

Hope it helps...:fing32:

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
I sent some emails based on the parts supplier thread....

So I have tried that but most are willing to sell parts and not so much able to help me diagnose correct versus 'makedo' parts. I need to figure this out before ordering. I have inqiuries to Sam's, Sonny's and Ricks as those stuck out as best possibilities.

Does anyone have a HT20 with 18070, 18071 deck? I know the 18070 is a little different but just wondering if there is a problem with the nylon bushings?

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help....

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Sorry there are none of the pieces in question that I can measure on the 48" deck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts