My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was given a 2002 model LT160 last year and it has been in storage for the last 8 months. About a month ago I washed it, changed the oil, oil filter, and air filter. I then installed a new belt for the mower deck (42C)

I let a friend borrow the mower and he used it three times to mow his yard. I worked fine. I used it two days ago to mow for the first time. I was cutting 3 foot tall grass in an old cow pasture and I was taking it slow with the mower so that it would not get bogged down. The deck was on it's highest setting. When going down a steep hill the mower started losing power then stalled out. It appeared I had run out of gas. That night I purchased regular gas from a gas station that had been closed for the last 8 months (gas is at least that old)

When I put the gas in the tank took both gallons. The tractor ran rough to start but then leveled out after I pulled it to flat ground and let it idle for a bit. Now the tractor wants to stall out when I engage the mower deck. it also gets low on power if I pull a trailer with gravel in it. To mow I needed to run the throttle on the choke position (rabbit would stall out when mowing) I could also only mow downhill. going uphill would stall the tractor out. I guess driving and mowing was too much.

Do you think I have a bad batch of fuel? Tonight I changed the fuel filter and added some carb cleaner / additive to the fuel. no change to the performance.

I made a video of my problem. Thanks for any help with this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY_s0fYBHjY

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Try it with the mag kill wire disconnected. That will eliminate any safety switches being the culprit of the rough running syndrome.

The second thing I would do is check the deck bearings. I'm nearly deaf but I could hear those things here at my house nearly a thousand miles away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mag Kill wire? will that be shown in the owners manual?

Ha! I will hit the dealer up and ask to buy some new bearings for the deck.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Mag Kill wire? will that be shown in the owners manual?

Ha! I will hit the dealer up and ask to buy some new bearings for the deck.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
I doubt the mag kill wire will be shown in the operators manual. Hopefully someone that has that information (where it is on your engine) will be along shortly.

Bearings - before buying check them to make sure they are bad rather than going by what I heard on a video.

·
Registered
281 Posts
IMHO, I would try the cheap fixes first.

1 - Pull the belt covers on the deck and check for grass packed around the pulleys. You were mowing very tall grass.

2 - Drain the gas tank and refill with fresh gas. 8 month old gas may not be able to be resurrected.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I drained the tank, changed the filter then filled with Shell gasoline. still having the same problems. I washed off the deck and cleaned the grass off the deck. same problem when I engage the deck. I may remove the belt and see if engaging the deck still causes it to stall. (to check to see if it is electrical or mechanical. )

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think removing the belt is a good idea. If it runs alright with the belt removed then check the pulleys to see if they turn noise free.

·
deere160
27 Posts
Those kohler engines have a tendency to shear of the flywheel key and throw of the timing. Try removing the top engine cowl and the flywheel to check out what your key is like.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will try removing the belt and then inspect the flywheel key this weekend and post back with my findings. Thanks guys.

·
JD318
990 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem when under load. You may have some gunk in the carb, or maybe a kinked fuel line. Ethanol blended gas older than 30 days cancause problems. Make sure you use non-ethanol gas.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I took the belt off the drive pulley and when I engaged the mower deck there was no stalling. I did a bonehead move though and I left the belt barely touching the main drive pulley. it melted the belt dang near the whole way through. looks like it is another 50 dollar belt for me !

It is failing when under load. I did not see how to open up the carb right away. I will search for the service manual, I think I saw that listed here somewhere

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The fuel line is old and cracked. I have purchased a new one and I plan on replacing it. any hints on how to get access? what do I have to remove?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thread back from the dead. my tractor was never really running right even after this last fix in 2009. yesterday it would only run on choke or low idle. it would die if put on the "rabbit" speed even before I could engage the mower deck. I was thinking of cleaning out the carb tomorrow

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I checked fuel flow and it is robust. I removed the solenoid and grounded it with the key on. It actuated quickly but I gave it a good shot of carb cleaner to be sure. It has been a few years since I changed the air filter so I will change that too.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts