My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have an E Machines T2240 2.2ghz and upgraded 1.5ram.
What is the configuration I should replace this cpu with to get at least another 5 yrs from it? I am not adverse to used if its a reputable dealer.
The existing computer works but it is slow and >6yrs old.
I only serf the web and pull up pictures occasionally.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I'd be happy to use that just as it is. In fact, my desktop has about those same specs. If it's "slow" it's due to too much crap that YOU have loaded up. Everything from spy/mal/ junkware to little doo-dads that make the mouse do great stuff, to junk the kids have put on there, along with all the "Google toolbar" crud. Oh ya, let' s not forget myspace, AOL, and instant messeging and chat junk of all kinds

In other words, it's the operating system, corruption, software, and spycrap.

Another thing you might seriously consider is learning to use Linux. I'm useing Ubuntu Linux. It's free. I haven't fired up a Bill Gates piece now for about 8 months. No virus protection needed

If you don't want to "do" Linux, I'd recommend you do something along this order:

Buy another hard drive, get a friend who's computer literate, and figure out how to reinstall everything you NEED without the junk. Do this on a fresh hard drive. When you're done, slave the old one in there to recover your pictures and whatever else, then you can format it and use it for a storage drive.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Please don't take me wrong but you've been a member since '05 and your first post is about computers?

Anyway how full is your hard drive? When's the last time it was defragged?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Assuming you are runing Windows XP (and not 98 or ME), I agree with the earlier post. Often times it is all the crapware, programs, bugs, viruses, and other things picked up over time that slow down the machine. A 2.2 gig XP machine with 1.5 meg of ram should run just fine once cleaned up. I usually backup important files and then "nuke" my hard drive clean and then reload the operating system and needed files about once a year.

There is a freeware program called "Dariks Nuke and Boot" ... located at http://www.dban.org/ Its a program used by the department of defense to completely wipe clean a hard drive. Make sure you have your copy of Windows XP (or Linux) handy before you nuke it.

Do NOT load windows Vista since its a resource hog. Another thing that typically slows down Windows machines are the programs running in the background (you can usually see the icons in the bottom right corner). AOL is famous for this ....and I refuse to keep it on a machine. To stop most of these programs from running upon startup, do the following : click on the "start" menu and select "run" ... then type the word --> msconfig and click ok. Then select the "startup" tab. Here you'll see all the programs checked that will start. Uncheck all programs except your virus protection, wireless connection programs, etc. There is no need to run microsoft office or any other programs upon startup. After deselecting all programs, click on ok and restart the machine. The first time you enter windows, you'll get a message box that says something like you have changed some startup programs. Just check "do not show this message". By performing this very simple change, You;ll notice that your machine will boot and run much quicker. I run MSCONFIG every few months ...just to make sure nothing is running

Hope this helps....my machine is a 1.6 gig XP machine with 1.5 gig of ram ...and runs just fine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Please don't take me wrong but you've been a member since '05 and your first post is about computers?

Anyway how full is your hard drive? When's the last time it was defragged?

He is like my son. Just never says much. LOL You are a good counter ballance too the rest of us jabber Jaws.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Computers need hard drive space to run the files you are using. If the computer is full it will take a long time to find empty space to store what it needs to run. All the E machines I have seen have everthing built into the mother board and can not be upgraded very well if at all. Take all the files you want to keep and burn them onto a CD. Dump the computer and reload and format the hard drive and reload the files. You can do a clean disk to help open up more space. If you have music on it burn the music onto CD's and do not reload them. E machines are cheap becaue they are simple and are lower end machines. The only down side to emachines is that you are stuck with what you have. Your internet server might have you on a slower speed. Todays internet needs to run on fiber optic lines and have the best high speed service. You also can turn off all those programs the are on start up that you do not use. They take up Random Only space that is needed to run programs. You can have lost sectors or and little spaces in many sectors. Your computer is slow because it is looking for space to put the files it needs to run.
You can never have enough speed or space on the hard drive. You can build a fantastic machine for around $400I build my own computers. If you are not playing games with all the graphics you do not need a high end machine. E machines will not play viedo games. They are not fast enough or have enough hard drive.

5 years is a long time for an older computer. Even if you dump the hard drive and start over it will not be long before you are back to the same problem.

I do engineering and architectural design and drafting on the computer all the time. I do most of my shopping on line and I am on line doing reserch all the time. I hate to bite the bullet and spend the money for better computers. It is the most used tool in my life. Having a good fast compter will pay for itself. You will have much more time to do other things. I would just buy or build yourself a new coputer. I am not a person that likes or needs the biggest or most expensive but a good computer is a must in this day and age.

Go to Tigerdirect.com They have fantastic deals on all electronics. Sooner or later what you want will be on sale. I buy all my computer parts and needs form them. They are fast and honest.

·
Banned
628 Posts
i like newegg.com for all my parts.
but like everyone else here has said ... most likely your just loaded down with crap.... you dont need a new pc. a format and fresh install of the operating system and shell be good as new

·
Registered
543 Posts
both tiger direct and newegg offer exceptional deals on computers and parts. I myself have built several machines using parts (mostly from newegg). However, unless you are looking for a highly graphic or gaming machine, I would just buy one from one of those two sites. A nice desktop machine can be had for as little as $300-$400. Also, check out their "recertified" or "refurbished" deals. The only downside to these is a 3 month warranty but most problems can be easily identified within 3 months. I found my accountant a sweet "recertified" machine on tigerdirect a few years ago. He never had a problem with it. Both newegg and tigerdirect are very good about returns on defective machines. Also, if you register with both sites, they will send you frequent email deals. I get deals every other day.

Another great site for helping you find all kinds of "tech" deals is http://www.techdeals.net/ Basically people all over are looking for great deals and post a link back to this site. You will often see links back to newegg and other consumer sites.

If you end up with a Vista machine, make sure it has at least 3 gigs of ram. If you can still find an XP machine (tiger still has some), 2 gigs is plenty.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes newegg is where I do my computer "geek" stuff. I just got an e-mail from them and they have a nice desk top with keyboard and speakers for $399.99 and free shipping. foer what most everyone uses here that computer would be enough.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts