My Tractor Forum banner

New (Old) Ford Tractor

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  WorcesterVT 
#1 ·
Hey all, just bought an older 821 Ford and am looking to restore/upgrade it. Looking forward to any advice you can give me along the way.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Hi welcome to the site and congrats on your new to you tractor enjoy.
GB in MN

#5 ·
Well it turns out that it does have a pto but no lift. I suppose then it was just used for large implements then? That's what I'm getting from an 841. I'll try to take some pictures and post tomorrow. I am a little worried about the pto, though. I can move the lever (to the lower left of the seat) when the tractor is off and I thought I needed the clutch in to move it. Is that only when the tractor is on? I pulled the cover off of where the lever is and there is the pto driveshaft that goes into the coupling and another that must be the main drive shaft? Again, I'll try to get pictures.

Thanks all.

#6 ·
As you said, post some pictures. The 821 model was your basic model mostly used by golf courses and for other large fields. Usually had a drawbar to pull gang reel mowers so didn't need hydraulics or pto. Some had them added. I just seen a 621 that had them both at the penns cave show out in pa. If you unscrew the cover (cap) on the back of your tractor the pto shaft will be there. If no cap then there will be a flat plate covering the hole (no pto). Post a photo of the right side of the tractor up by where the bellhousing meets the engine. That's where your hydraulic pump will be located. If not there will be a plate covering that also.

Kirk

#7 ·
The 821 didn't have the pto or the 3 point as stock equipment. The pto must have been ordered as a special option by the original buyer.

#10 ·
Viewed the photos. The pto shaft is hard to tell by the photos. It looks like 1 1/8" but with the shadows not sure. The picture you took is of the starter the pump is on the other side. I see the lines in the case but can't see the hydraulic cover under the seat. Post a photo of under the seat. Did the backhoe run off the pto? Looks like the rims and tires are industrial, maybe 14s or 16s on 24" rims?

Kirk

#11 ·
There are two hydraulic lines that come to the back that I assume were for the backhoe. I have to trace them but I assume that they come from the front pump that runs the bucket.

There is a cover under the seat, but I'll send pictures. I assume that is where the rocksaft housing will sit.

Thanks,

Ben

#13 ·
There are two hydraulic lines that come to the back that I assume were for the backhoe. I have to trace them but I assume that they come from the front pump that runs the bucket.

There is a cover under the seat, but I'll send pictures. I assume that is where the rocksaft housing will sit.

Thanks,

Ben

Here (circled in yellow) is where you would find the hydraulic pump... if it had been added.

(you can click on the photo for a larger version)

#14 ·
Well all, I hooked up the pump, hydraulic manifold, and rockshaft assembly. Tractor fired up, I bled the pump until it spit fluid only, and then tried to raise and lower the lift arms on th rockshaft. Nothing happened. Any thoughts? Does the PTO have to be off for the arms to lift?

Thanks,

Worcester VT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.