My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been thinking about getting a new mower for a few years now. I currently own a 210 which was given to me by my father which has lived a very hard life. I have been all over the John Deere website starting out at an X500 series, then X700 series the a 1025r. I would experience what I would call “scope creep” every time I did research (X500 then X700 then 1025r). I went to the dealer a few times to look at the line up in person.

I own a 1.5-acre property that only ½ of which is mowed. It’s not a flat property but the hills are nothing too serious. My biggest issue (and reason for the scope creep) is mulching the beds around the house/ property. This task (which isn’t done every year) takes about 20 yards or so of mulch to do… and I would usually borrow a tractor with a FEL to expedite the process.

Storage space for the unit is an issue, we own a house with a 2-car garage that are actually used by 2 cars. The Mrs. will not give up her space and I don’t want to either. So in order to get a 1025r we would have also required the building of another structure (shed or garage, again scope creep).

So, standing there at the dealer this morning looking at a x758 and a x590 which were side by side, I decided on the x590 as I could not justify the additional $6,801 to step up to the x758 (my dealer would not budge on the price of either unit). I have been very fortunate and the financial means to pay the difference was not an issue (I even went through the process of thawing my credit last night in anticipation of a decision coming today). I hope that I made the right decision with regards to picking the x590.

I came close to picking the x758, but I just felt a little guilty/dumb. One guy was there to pick up his S240, another guy was purchasing an x300 series and others were all looking at the x300’s.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,623 Posts
So I have been thinking about getting a new mower for a few years now.

I own a 1.5-acre property that only ½ of which is mowed. It’s not a flat property but the hills are nothing too serious. My biggest issue (and reason for the scope creep) is mulching the beds around the house/ property. This task (which isn’t done every year) takes about 20 yards or so of mulch to do… and I would usually borrow a tractor with a FEL to expedite the process.

So, standing there at the dealer this morning looking at a x758 and a x590 which were side by side, I decided on the x590 as I could not justify the additional $6,801 to step up to the x758. I hope that I made the right decision with regards to picking the x590.
Given the amount of mowing you have, even the X590 might seem a bit of overkill, but you won't be sorry you went with it, especially when you see how good they ride compared to something like the X3xx and especially the 210. It's actually the evolution of the 200 series, via the GT's like the GT235, GX345, etc. When it comes to spreading the mulch, since it isn't all that frequently, keep borrowing the loader to move the stuff around. You can get a nice dump cart to pull behind the X590 and quite a few other accessories for the difference in price with the X7.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you are talking about in regards to the overkill. The salesman asked me on every visit (I don't think he remembered me) how much I needed to mow. I was reluctant to tell him how much there actually was. I would just say "I don't need either one of these but I want one of them". The old 210 is 43 years old (and older than I am) and has served my family well. I am hoping I will never need another mower again.

The new unit does come with a 10P cart (I don't think it's a dump cart). It was free with the tractor through a promotion. I don't really need it as I have a huge steel cart that was passed down when my grandfather passed.

In regards to borrowing a FEL, I have a few people who don't really care (one just bought a 2032 last fall), however, I absolutely hate to ask people to borrow their equipment. Last time I gave the guy $100 to help me even though he didn't ask.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't feel guilty buying the x7 series if I could afford it. Though that x5 series machine should last a long time for your level of use and still retain a good value as it ages.

Then again, I upgraded a JD built box-store garden tractor into the same basic class of machine as the one you decided on and I only have a shade over 1/3rd of an acre. It's nice to have more machine than you generally need (though I do plan on doing some occasional work that necessitates this size of machine at minimum, imo).

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts
Might have been wiser to get a good bigger used machine from in your area......Where abouts do you live?

Just follow my signature below and you can see how I kept upgrading to something I'm happy with now that fit my needs and all the capabilities I think I will ever need. I think I kind of had the same thinking you have. At the time I thought I didn't need bigger but as I got older I find some things I could do before by hand where getting to be a real chore, but by having a larger machine made working outside fun and easy again.

I don't think down the road a X590 is going to cut it for you either.

But good luck with whatever you end up with.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Congrats on the new machine! Hopefully it will do everything you want, I'm sure it will.

I can relate to some of this :) I have a basic lawn tractor, which is meeting my needs, but I'm doing more with it now, vs when I bought it. Now I have a dethatcher, aerator, and lawn roller, and I use it to move my 4x7' utility dump trailer around, and to use that trailer as a dump trailer in the yard. My yard is suburban, and not big, but it has some inclines, and I get a little concerned about pulling too hard with a lawn tractor (I replaced the geared transaxle once).

A garden tractor would easily & robustly handle what I'm doing, and would be a nice upgrade, even though it's not really needed yet. So I can understand wanting to use a machine that will readily handle what I need, plus having extra capability, if I want to do something else in the future.

I do like having my own equipment, and not needing to ask to borrow stuff from friends/neighbors. But from what I've read, it's tough to set up a GT with a proper FEL. The recent thread about buckets/scoops was interesting to me, in terms of how limited they are, vs a FEL. I don't know if there are ways to sort of work around this a bit.

If you could just get the mulch *into* the dump cart, would that help with spreading it? I realize it's kind of clunky, or a stretch, but I've seen that Harbor Freight sells a little towable backhoe:
https://www.harborfreight.com/9-hp-towable-backhoe-62365.html

Not as nice as a FEL, of course. But perhaps that sort of product is one option for helping to load the dump trailer? It sounds like a real FEL setup would require a pretty-significant machine, which might also be tougher to maneuver (in addition to adding significantly to the cost, beyond just upgrading to an X7xx, etc). People have mentioned other scoop setups, I think someone mentioned having a winch on their scoop, to help lift the load.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim,

That's a good find and it right next door. Even if I hadn't already agreed to the purchase I am not sure I would have looked at the machine. While I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I am not sure I would be able to put the necessary work in to clean the machine up.

Funny thing, in going through the local Craigslist posts for the area, someone purchased a x758 and is selling it because it is too much machine for their needs.

·
Premium Member
6,041 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Cant argue with your logic ruling out the 1025. I would have a hard time paying a hefty premium to handle mulch even if it is a lot of it and there is no way I would build/maintain a building for it. X590 vs X758 is tougher for me though as diesel/4WD in a package that still makes a decent mower is pretty sweet especially if you plan to own it for the long haul. Arguably the guilty/dumb line was passed when you moved beyond a X390 for a 3/4 acre mow. I mow an acre with the x595 (prev gen x758) and feel no guilt at all. 4WD and HDAPs make snow removal downright fun and we get our fair share of it. Good luck whichever way you go.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am sure there are other things I could find to do with the 1025r. Like pushing back the forest encroachment. Clean out some drainage ditches. Move some snow when the piles get too high from the blower.

The x758 is appealing. I have been thinking about it all weekend and whether or not I should make the switch. I had a long look at the CTC bucket last night. That configuration is pretty nice (although it costs a ton). I'm sure it could handle the mulching needs pretty easily. However, I am not sure about putting an after market attachment onto the machine. It also appears as if you need to take a good amount of the machine apart in order to successfully attach the bucket.

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Regarding your mulch issue. I have an X540 and equipped it with the JD tractor shovel. My beds require 6 to 8 yards and the tractor shovel makes it easy for me. While the shovel does not have lift being 40" wide it goes pretty much wherever I need to drop the mulch. No shovelling at all...… just a little raking which you would have anyway. Something to think about.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Congrats on the new X590.. look into a johnny bucket for your 590. It handles Mulch well. ..Take your wife on vacation with the 8K you saved!!!

Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GTLX

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If taking my wife on vacation with the saved money was the goal she would make me get an E100. Or better yet, she would make me keep the old beat up 210.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
The X590 is a nice tractor I just got one with a tiller. If you want something with a loader a X585 (4wd gas)or a X595,X748 (4wd diesel) maybe a better way to go they pop up now and then. I have 2.5 acres and have both the X590 and the X595,both have their duties around the house.
IMG_2805.jpg

IMG_1393.JPG

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I took delivery of my new tractor the other day. If you look close enough you will see that I made a change to the purchase. Sorry I can't get any better pictures at the moment.

A few days after I agreed to purchase the x590 I decided to switch it out to an x758. I sent the dealer an email on the morning of 7/2 and signed the papers during lunch. They were more than accommodating to make the switch. I only ended up financing the difference as I had already paid for the x590 in full. I have always wanted one and I figured why settle for something that isn't quite what I want. Plus, if I do have options with after market loaders if I am so inclined (the CTC loader looks nice).

I took delivery on Monday. When the driver showed up he had an E120 on the back with the x758. He commented on how nice the x758 was compared to the E120.... and even referred to the E120 as a POS (which I was surprised about).

I have only played with it a little. I have one area of my property with some tall grass that hasn't been mowed this year. The x758 didn't bog down at all like the old 210 did (I guess that's what 14 extra hp will do for you). It didn't cut the area perfect the first time (as the grass/weeds are about 30" tall) but it did better than I anticipated.

I hope I made the correct choice.

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
That's awesome, enjoy it! That should be an awesome machine.

Though to be fair, comparing an X700-series machine to an E-series machine isn't really a fair fight :) A Ford Ranger is way less capable than an F450, too :)

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
3,109 Posts
When you cut a 30" hay field, it won't be perfect. However if you go back over it in a couple of days you will see how faster it begins to look like something. Hopefully your not in a dry spell.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts