My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What to do on a rainy Saturday? Whilst digging through the stash pile, looking for somethng for the 876, I came across a long forgotten ebay win. I mocked it up on the 856 and was so impressed I decided the 876 needed the same. Was able to secure another through ebay, tho it's not as servicable as the 1st. It needs some work but will work out.
With today being rainy and too wet to mow I "hopefuly" fixed up the 2nd one and installed #1 on the 856. The 876 will get it's mod later.
So heres a few pics of the 856, anyone guess what the latest mod is? (Glenn excluded :D )

Dave

Attachments

·
16,804 Posts
Rain--you got rain? What is that?

What is that springy chrome thingie on the right side of the hood? Might that be a beverage container?

Sure looks like the right height/dfiameter for a 'long neck bottle"...:trink40:

:thThumbsU
glenn

·
16,804 Posts
I can't believe he's fooled you Wheelhorse affeciondia's this completely,:congrats: for so long.....

but after being identified--I would like to know HOW.....

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK, I guess it was a loaded question since my 856 has quite a few mods so I'll narrow it down.
It's not the spring mounted hi-back seat, nor Sea Buoy swivaling drink holder that Glenn asked about. Oh & Glenn that holder did at one time hold various types of chillie adult beverages but now only holds either a coffee cup, water bottle and/or soft drinks :D
It's not the front late model quick attach nor headlights. It's really quite stock after all those afore mentioned mods with the exception of the latest addition.
Hint #1, it wasn't offered on any WH model in the 60's nor do I believe in the 70's either.
Hint #2, it's really a 2 part mod with both being from different yrs and models :D
Dave

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
Is it the muffler?

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it the muffler?
Yep Jim, you got it. I guess I made alittle to much out of my simple little mod but what the hay, shes sure does sound alot better.

War Eagle, bellieve it or not, these models came OEM w/dial-a-height on the lift arm. It's not fancy but works.

The 856, as well as the 876 came OEM w/the loud and unsightly dash-pot type muffler that worked more like a spark arrestir than a muffler, It barely muffled the exhaust but probably produced just enough back pressure to keep from burning the exhaust valve.
That new muffler, well not new but it is in very good servicable shape is off of an 80's model 312-8. It really quiets that K181 down with no noticable loss of any power. I really like the sound, it's got a nice throaty sporty sound to it :D
The chrome heat shield is off of an unknown yr 418-A. It's really too big for the shorter muffler but looks good at a distance. It probably adds another hp or two just due to it being chrome :D
The muffler clamps perfectly over the OEM threaded exhaust pipe and fills in quite well above the pulley. Looks like it belongs there now :D
I had to modify the rear mounting bracket inorder to get a wrench on the oil dip stick. These old K181's have a pipe threaded screw in type dip stick.
And like I hinted in a previous post, I'm so impressed with everything about this bigger quieter muffler that I recently won another for the 876. Unfortunately it came with some rust holes in the front end plate. I decided to try this product I found in an auto parts store called Muffler Weld by VersaChem to fill in the holes. It's a paste type epoxy similar to JB Weld but you don't have to mix it. I put it on Sat, being very liberal with it and gave the 876 a good work out tonight sickle mowing the bank & pond and although it did melt away the thinner coating, the holes remained plugged. I know that muffler got hot too as spit would bounce tight off off it. We'll see how long it keeps those holes plugged.
The muffler does sound as good as the 856's but I don't have a chrome heat shield for it. I guess that would equal them up in a race now as the 876 is listed as 1 moh faster than the gear 856 :D

Anyways thanks for playing. One last pic of the 856 and it's new hi-performance chrome covered muffler.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Nice mod Dave. I'm late to the game, but didn't your 856 have a stack prior to this mod? The chrome cover reminds me of my 520. Have you given any more thought to adding hydro lift to the 876? I know you were thinking about it. I need to post some more pic's on my 1077 resto as there's been a bit more progress. But I'm stuck on how to get the steering wheel out of the way for painting. (Will start a new thread looking for suggestions.) Anyway, nice set up and can't wait to see how the 876 looks with the new exhaust. Maybe I'll try that after the resto is complete (one of these years).

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chris, yeah the 856 had a stack awhile ago but I grew tired of breathing the exhaust so I took it off. I've been running an Onan twin muffler since and it did a great job but doesn't look as cool as the Late model WH mufflers :D
The description on the chrome heat shield says it came off of an M-18QS engine from a 418-A. I'd say it's pretty close to what your Onan muffler has as it's much larger than the312-8 muffler I put it on.

re. 876. I've not shelfed the idea of hydraulic lift but it has been pushed to the back of the shelf for now. When I was in the ciphering stage I determined that I'd have to remove the winch that does a great job of rasing/lowering the sicklebar mower bar so I'd have to go with a double spool valve to control the SBM's frame lift/lower and also the SBM's bar raise/lower. I've been peeping out those double spool valves on the 70/80's model JD garden tractors. They'll bolt in place of the lift arm and have those long levers. Now if I could ever find a basket case w/those spool valves :D

Heres a few pics of the 876 and it's new late model muffler. In the closeup pic of the muffler you can see where the muffler weld bubbled up where it's sealed leaks. The large bubble is where the large hole was and that ridge of muffler weld that runs around the outer edge shows that there must have been more small holes than what I originally thought. I can see where i missed a spot just above the stub outlet pipe and I'm debateing whether I should put another coat on it. It doesn't leak now but it does look rusty at that spot. When I put the original coat on it I had smoothed it out to follow the contour of the front plate. I guess the combination of heat and exhaust pressure bubbled the material out where there were holes.
I gave entirely too much for it to bail on it so if this muffler weld doesn't work I'll hunt up something else. Besides it looks and sounds COOL :D
Dave

Attachments

·
16,804 Posts
I like it--the whole idea!!

Also the 'drip pan" under the tractor on the last picture--I try to do the same thing.....

Thanks for explaining the procedure...:thanku:

But can you do a closeup picture of the rear bracket?? for us older gear-heads?

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Dave, I hear you on the hydraulic lift. Never seen one of those SBM's in person so I've never had the pleasure to see exactly how they mount up and work. Makes sense you'd need a 2 function valve and I don't think WH ever offered one (maybe for the D??). Keep the faith and maybe you'll come by a cheap JD valve to re-purpose.

All I can say on the muffler is I like it and I couldn't come close to what you did since I don't weld. They say you're never too old to learn and I'd like to pick that skill up someday......someday! Thanks for the pic's. I owe you more on my 1077. Hopefully this weekend.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Glenn, that drip pan is for the SBM. Due to the nature and design of it I'd say they marked their spot even when brand new :D I put 80w90 in the gearbox and when the temps hit in the 90's it's almost as thin a 40w! It's kinda like those old flathead total oil loss Harleys of old :D
The big ole fancy mod I did to the mufflers rear bracket was just to bend it up and out of the way. I didn't want to cut it off and no matter where I ciphered to mount it to the engine or frame it got in the way of the oil dip stick. So, the clamp is doing 100% of the holding. I'll revist that bracket should the muffler loosen and/or move. The clamp is really holding quite well tho....

Chris, never sell your self short. Your previous work as well as what your doing to the 1077 is very good craftmanship.
re. the muffler weld. well, as much as I'd like to take credit for being a great welder, I ain't, novice is more like it :D , and the muffler weld I actually applied to the muffler is an epoxy type sealer and it's called Muffler Weld which is kind of misleading in that it's a cold set sealer. Kinda like JB weld without having to mix two parts together.
It's claim to fame is that it bonds to any exhaust system part, including rusty/corroded pipes and mufflers and heat nor exhaust pressure isn't supposed to break it down. I haven't run it since I last posted which was for approx .5 hr so for that amount of time - it's lived up to it's claims.

re. hydro lift, thanks for the encouragment. The 876 works great as she's setup now but adding the hydraulics would make it much smoother and quieter, as well as not being such a big load on the battery. Besides, I believe it wants the hydraulics :D
Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts