My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one else read the specs on mercs new out board motor ?
7.6 liter V12, quad cam ,4 valve per cly, making 600 hp
i can't imagine running a boat with 3 of them tied on the stern

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,614 Posts
I have driven a fishing boat at 70 MPH and wouldn't want to do it again. Those Mercs seem to be relatively quiet considering all the power. I couldn't find pricing on the boat with that setup. It has a 650 gallon fuel tank which costs about $2k to fill, and probably empties pretty quickly, but if you have most likely a million dollars to spend on a boat I guess that's just a drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
May qualify as low flying aircraft

Reactions: 578258

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
The local police would definitely have an issue with that, the big problem would be catching him before he kills himself! Back to the op, what in pluperfect hedoublehockeysticks would one do with a 600 hp V-12 outboard? YIKES!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The local police would definitely have an issue with that, the big problem would be catching him before he kills himself! Back to the op, what in pluperfect hedoublehockeysticks would one do with a 600 hp V-12 outboard? YIKES!!
If your powering a 65’ HCB center console, you’ll spend about 350K for 5 of those monsters and love every minute at 70mph! MSRP on those is $77k each plus rigging. But like was stated before, “ if you got a couple million to spend on a boat.....”

·
Super Moderator
32,171 Posts
If your powering a 65’ HCB center console, you’ll spend about 350K for 5 of those monsters and love every minute at 70mph! MSRP on those is $77k each plus rigging. But like was stated before, “ if you got a couple million to spend on a boat.....”
Frankly Im surprised they are so low.. Ive been looking at smaller [much smaller!] outboards the last few years and even the price of a garden verity 90-115hp size is staggering.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, the price of toys is sky high. The technology and materials used is staggering compared to 20-25 years ago. Almost everything nowadays is computer controlled and fuel injected. Better in a lot of ways but no so much in others. The only thing that never changes, is that change is coming.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts