My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
New member here. 58, male, from south Jersey. I have an older Craftsman 11 horse rider, and I just bought a John Deere 212, w/ a 48" deck. Having a problem with the brake pedal so I'll try to post in the help forum. Good to be here...I'm sure I'm gonna' need plenty of help!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Welcome Art, good to have you aboard with us and hope you get the issues with your brake pedal resolved, the guys will help here in any way possible :fing32:.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help
Be sure to Register for Your State!

·
Premium Member
5,415 Posts
:MTF_wel: What's the issue with your brakes? Lots of people familiar with the 200 series tractors on here :fing32:

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Welcome aboard Art!

You are in the right section of the forums to diagnose your brake issues. Lots of 200 series guys here!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1:and have fun. slkpk

·
Super Moderator
16,469 Posts
Welcome to the Forum:MTF_wel:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brakes

Well thanks for the warm welcome all!

I was unable to post right away, so I spent the time beating on my frozen brake pedal (I removed the linkage, and it was just the pedal). I've been working on cars and machines most of my adult life, and I don't think I've ever seen anything more frozen. It seemed like the grease fitting was never used in 35 years, lol. Anyway, little by little, I got it freed up and out, and was able to clean and lube it...working like new now. Seriously, what a battle...

I gotta say I already love this machine. The heavy duty construction is a breath of fresh air. And I have back trouble, so the motor mounts and the seat set-up is a real help with vibration and rough terrain.

So far, I've removed the gas tank (easy), drained the old stuff that had plenty of debris and some water, cleaned the mesh screen, and discovered the shut-off valve. I've greased all the fittings I could find, and changed the oil. The old oil was pretty black and thin, but it doesn't smoke, and my compression is 120 psi on a cold crank, so hopefully it's none the worse due to its apparent neglect.

For now, one question: The gauge on the dash is obliterated, what type a gauge is it?

Oh, and I took a few pics, so as soon as I figure how to post them I will.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Glad to hear you got that resolved Art, don't know much about the 212, but you might want to check out the JD Parts Catalog, just put your model in the upper left box and go from there, it has lots of part #'s and diagrams for your machine and the attachments as well :fing32:.

·
Certified Master Tinkerer
3,045 Posts
Re: Brakes

Well thanks for the warm welcome all!

I was unable to post right away, so I spent the time beating on my frozen brake pedal (I removed the linkage, and it was just the pedal). I've been working on cars and machines most of my adult life, and I don't think I've ever seen anything more frozen. It seemed like the grease fitting was never used in 35 years, lol. Anyway, little by little, I got it freed up and out, and was able to clean and lube it...working like new now. Seriously, what a battle...

I gotta say I already love this machine. The heavy duty construction is a breath of fresh air. And I have back trouble, so the motor mounts and the seat set-up is a real help with vibration and rough terrain.

So far, I've removed the gas tank (easy), drained the old stuff that had plenty of debris and some water, cleaned the mesh screen, and discovered the shut-off valve. I've greased all the fittings I could find, and changed the oil. The old oil was pretty black and thin, but it doesn't smoke, and my compression is 120 psi on a cold crank, so hopefully it's none the worse due to its apparent neglect.

For now, one question: The gauge on the dash is obliterated, what type a gauge is it?

Oh, and I took a few pics, so as soon as I figure how to post them I will.
:MTF_wel: Art! The gauge on the dash is an ammeter to show battery charge/discharge. I don't think I have any clear pics of it but I posted quite a few others when I redid my 214 - same tractor different motor. Quite a few 200 series owners here so you can get lots of help if you need it.

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=127808

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the good info. Yes, an amp gauge. I finally figured it out after searching Ebay for available parts.
I removed the old one today, but there were no wires attached...ah, another mystery. New and used available on Ebay. I also dismantled the headlight switch and repaired that with some epoxy. I'll have to see how that holds up. I can easily buy a new one...but where's the fun in that?

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,265 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts