My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Help needed in selecting an acreage tractor

Hi all, new member here from the Lincoln, Nebraska area. I am a new acreage owner and need some input on what kind of garden tractor or compact tractor would be good for me to take care of my property.

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Glad you joined!
:wwp: If you need easy Picture help

·
Finally at 1k!
1,518 Posts
:Welcome1:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Glad to be here. Here is some additional information on my property and needs....

I have about 3/4 of an acre of tall fescue sod around my house that I have been mowing with a really basic craftsman riding mower. The area has some pretty steep hills that my current mower struggles with. I also have a push mower that I occasionally use on it, but that is a lot of work. So I need something to mow this with.

I also have about another acre beyond the sod that is mostly just weeds (it was disturbed during construction of the house) that I mow down frequently as well. This land is really rough and hilly, it's really hard on the riding mower I have now. At some point I need to grade this and seed it, I may hire somebody to do this or try it myself if I have a capable machine.

I have a lot of volunteer red cedars that I have been trying to cull out. I rented a bobcat with a brushsaw for a day and took a lot of them down, but I still have more to clear. I also need something that will move them once they are down.

I have about a quarter mile white rock lane that I will need to maintain. I will also need to plow it in the winter.

Secondarily to all this, my father-in-law owns the acreage development and I would like to be able to help him out by mowing the ditches/fields, and grading/plowing the roads.

This seems like a lot to ask of a garden tractor, so I am wondering if a CUT is the way to go.

My budget is limited, so I will be looking for something used. I can probably spend between 5K and 6K.

Thanks in advance for any advice that anyone can give me!! :thanku:

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I would look for a used CUT to do all that you need to do. Used JD/Kubota/Mahindra etc. with a Loader!:trink39:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look for a used CUT to do all that you need to do. Used JD/Kubota/Mahindra etc. with a Loader!:trink39:
Thanks for the reply!

With that in mind, should I repost this in the CUT forum?

I have been perusing craigslist, tractorhouse, ebay for some time but haven't really settled on anything specific. Most of the stuff I find that I think might work is typically out of my price range (like a Kubota BX series CUT).

Some of the things I am looking for help with...

You mentioned the FEL (thanks!), what other attachments should I make a priority? What kind of mowing system would be best...mmm, pull behind, or maybe I need both?

My main concern is getting something that will handle the hills and uneven terrain, so if there are some CUT's or CUT attachments that work better for that then I would be interested to hear opinions on that.

Lastly, would the FEL be able to handle moving the downed cedars? I am hoping that it will and that I won't need to rent a grapple to take care of those.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
You should also look into one of the larger Bolens tractors. There are loaders out there for them, but even with a loader, it will cost no where near 5K. I would specifically recommend the HT23 or an 1886.

Jason

·
Super Moderator
17,117 Posts
Welcome to the Forum :MTF_wel: I sent you a PM as well with some Help:thThumbsU

1 - 9 of 9 Posts