My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all tractor advocates. I am new to this forum and would like to introduce myself. I am Ed Williams and live on a 25 acre hobby farm 10 miles NW of Richmond, Madison County, Kentucky. My place is primarily gently rolling on top of a hill overlooking the Kentucky River. There are some steep areas where the land drops to the river, but do not venture there with the tractor. I am 66 years old and a tractor lover as long as I can remember. Dad was in the tractor business when I was little and started me driving tractors at age 8 when I could reach the pedals from the seat. I am the proud owner of a 53 Ford NAA that I have had for 45 years and a newly acquired, June 2019, 1970 Ford 4000 row crop. The NAA was not running when purchased for $600 in 1974, but a little TLC, new tires, wiring and a few mechanicals brought it back to life and it has been a faithful workhorse ever since. The 4000 was purchased in northern Ohio this past June. Very good mechanical shape,but poor sheet metal, fenders and tires. It had 2117 actual hours according to the original owner, but had been worked hard and highway driven. He was selling to purchase a new 100 HP John Deer. I couldn't pas it up at $3,300. I was looking for one with a FEL, but those were in bad shape or too pricey. Anyway, did a partial restore. Repaired all the rusty sheet metal, rusty rims and fenders, new paint and decals. The NAA was showing some sheet metal rust, so used the leftover 4000 paint to give the NAA a new facelift this fall.Changed from the red/gray to blue/white. The other half still ****** at the new acquisition. Just doesn't understand why I wanted a bigger tractor to do jobs the NAA cannot handle. The NAA has the old style 4 speed gearing and a max 800 lb lift, not very accommodating with the new implements today. The 4000 has the H/L 8 speed and a 3500 lb lift. Each has their place and limitations. This is my first diesel and boy do I have a lot to learn. I have been seeking advice from my father in law, a diesel tractor owner for 65 years and currently has 4 diesels and a gas cub in the stable for a 750 acre farm. He has been much help, but I still have trouble with the different maintenance requirements for a diesel. I hope to learn a lot from this forum.

·
Super Moderator
27,379 Posts
Welcome to MTF! Some nice looking Fords you have. Use an old ford like your NAA at a facility we maintained growing up. Had the Hi/Low Range and would hit about 30mph on the road. You did a nice restoration on the 4000. Lots of knowledge on the forum and great members to help, enjoy the site!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Ed...welcome to the friendliest forum...som
Hi Ed...welcome to the friendliest forum...some nice Fords...looks like you take good care of them
View attachment 2446255
You know the old saying, "another tractor and deeper in debt". Parts to keep running are getting higher and higher. I had to replace a rear on each this fall. I knew one on the 4000 was bad dry rot when purchased, but thought it would last a few years. Hit a rock first time mowing and sprung leak. NAA had a rim blowout that damaged tire bead and would not stay on rim. Can't complain. major patch on rim and new tires in 1974. 45 years not too bad for a set of tires. One rear cost more today than all 4 when I did the restore in 1974. I'll attach photo of rim. The only thing holding it together was the 8 coats of paint applied to the rim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts