My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, great website. Ive learned a lot just reading the past 2 weeks.

First off..i am ignorant when it comes to mowers,engines or anything of that nature. It took me a while to save this money and it's my first riding mower. I considered used but was afraid of running into problems so i saved enough to get a lowerend new one.

To start with...i purchased my first mower a Husqvarna YTH 2046 at Lowes. It was 10% off the 1599 so i went with it. I initially was gonna go with a Craftsman at Sears. They had a similiar model that was 200 cheaper but apparently they dont sell the floor display and would have to order one. I had a borrowed truck and my yard looked like the Congo so i couldnt wait any longer.

Now some questions. My mower didnt come with the adapter to use the water hose on the deck. I havent had a chance to get to Lowes so i was wondering is it needed? Can i just spray it over and under the deck with the hose?

Reverse mowing. Reading the manual it gives me the impression that it should be done as a last resort. Why is this? Is it because of safety or is it because it puts a lot of strain on the mower to mow in reverse? I know the key needs to be turned to the first position.

I figured it was because of the strain. Ive got 4 hrs on it now and i have just been engaging...reengaging the blades to back up and just mow while going forward. But it seems this too could cause unneeded strain on the belts. I do have a couple spots where i might back uo 3-4 times in a small spot.

I liked the bigger 2348 but after getting this 2046 home it scrapes the edge of my shed door so im glad because the 2348 wouldnt have fit.I also purchased a small dump trailer but its just to take the trash out which is about 200yds from the house.

As far as mowing...im mowing both my yard and my FIL's. My inlaws live next door so i figured id get theres while im mowing. We do have some small hills and maybe two places where the terrain isnt great. Mainly small ruts. Id say it's 2 acres at the most and i plan on mowing every 5-7 days depending on weather and growing rate. Im keeping it mowed on level 3.

Im gonna change the oil at 8 hrs and was thinking about going with a synthetic. Main thing i wanna do is keep it clean after use and the oil changed.

Is there anything else i should do? Sorry this is so long.

Thanks,Jeff

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
First, welcome! Second, congrats on the new purchase. I sell that tractor at Lowes myself, many people have been happy with it. Take care of it and it should take care of you. The washout port coupling should have been in the bag with the manual if it wasn't already on the deck. But if it isn't there... don't worry about it. They're useless anyway. A garden hose through that opening doesn't have nearly the pressure needed to blast away all the grass under the deck, which really just makes the clumped up grass underneath get wet, stay wet, and start slowing rotting the deck. As for mow in reverse, I believe that's just because of safety. The reason tractor today don't just automatically mow in reverse like my old one is because there are a lot of morons out there some of whom actually injurred/killed their own children because they don't pay attention to their surroundings.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to MTF. You should be just fine mowing in reverse. If I was you I would not even worry ab out the wash port on the deck. I feel this is just another gimmick to sell mowers. You are much better off removing the deck and cleaning it out ever so often. This will also give you a chance to grease the spindles. I would change the break in oil out at about 10 hrs and go back with conventional oil at least for the first 50 hrs.
Keep the oil changed at the recommended intervals. Use a good brand.Check it before each use. Lube the machine when called for in your manual and clean it up after each use. Keep water away from the transmission area.
Enjoy your new machine.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcoem jeff,
Sounds like all your questions got answered, so I'll just say enjoy the forum!

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:MTF_wel: and enjoy the forum along with your new tractor. slkpk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Question on deck wheels. How should they be set? I havent touched them from the way they were set.

They are in the top hole setting which looks like they are a 1/4 inch or so below the deck when raised. I dont want it too low otherwise it might interfere with my cutting height...right? Im assuming they are all set at this height when put together but should i adjust them?

Thanks,Jeff

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Question on deck wheels. How should they be set?

Thanks,Jeff
Park the tractor on a hard surface. set the deck height where you want to mow, and lower the deck. The gauge wheels, or anti-scalp wheels, should be about 1/4-3/8 inch off the surface, not riding on the surface. Move the wheels to a hole that spaces them properly for the mowing height you have set.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Park the tractor on a hard surface. set the deck height where you want to mow, and lower the deck. The gauge wheels, or anti-scalp wheels, should be about 1/4-3/8 inch off the surface, not riding on the surface. Move the wheels to a hole that spaces them properly for the mowing height you have set.

Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts