My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy, all!

My wife and I purchased our first home three weeks ago. Ahead of time, we were able to work out purchasing several items of personal property outside the home purchase, including my first lawn tractor. I actually intended on buying a push mower. Thank God I didn't! :praying:

Since I knew the tractor was ours, needless to say I had questions that arose, and I did several internet searches over the past couple months which led me here. I got great information, and since I'm into other forums (dogs, firearms, etc.), I figured this would be an good place to go ahead and join!

The tractor has been great so far and the price was excellent. No problems, but she's slow to start so I think it might need a new battery. Not only is home ownership new to me, but so is having some land and a tractor! So it has actually been fun for me. But I've found out the hard way that I'm going to need a bagger. We're not big fans of the raking.

Anyway, thanks for the information you've already provided to me before I joined, and the information I plan on pulling out of you now that I'm here. :trink39:

· The Magnificent
20,781 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Give that battery a good charge, check the output of the charging system, check the connections to the solenoid and starter as well as the solenoid itself before you blow money on a battery.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
:MTF_wel: we also like Firearms, dogs, cats, FOOD!, and Tractors. Glad to have you! Check out all of the Forums here!:trink39:
Man, if that's the case then I've found my home! Although the doc says I need to like food less. But I lost 11 pounds in the last three weeks, so that'll keep him quiet for a little while. :ROF:

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome to the forum.

Give that battery a good charge, check the output of the charging system, check the connections to the solenoid and starter as well as the solenoid itself before you blow money on a battery.
Thanks for the input. It does the same thing every time, maybe you could help diagnose?

When I turn the key it is slow to start cranking, then it does, but it won't turn over. Second time is the charm - every time - and it starts without a hitch. Previous owner said he thought it needed a new battery. What do you think?

· The Magnificent
20,781 Posts
Needs a battery is kind of a way of saying he had problems starting it and no idea what was wrong.

Do you know how many hours are on the tractor?

Try pulling the plugs and cranking it. If it cranks really easily the first time, I might think your compression release is malfunctioning.

What year is this? Can you post model and serial number of the tractor and engine?

· Registered
583 Posts
:MTF_wel: we also like Firearms, dogs, cats, FOOD!, and Tractors.
when i first read this post i thought he said cat food!! ROTFL

:Welcome1: Malinios, glad to have you!

· 4K Poster!!!
4,507 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Also check your grounds - at the frame end of the battery cable, AND for the engine itself. These are often overlooked. You might want to get a voltmeter and check along the line for voltage drop, and avoid guessing.

And, :Welcome1:

· Administrator - We’re all friends here
17,136 Posts
:Welcome1: If that is the original battery then it is most likely the problem. It would be rare to get 5 years out of a tractor battery. Keep your eye on Craigslist for a bagger. they pop up there frequently. :)

· Banned
7,250 Posts
IF it's a Briggs OHV engine, it may need a valve adjustment. Without knowing the 917.xxxxxx number, it's hard to know what brand engine is used.
IF the valve lash gets too excessive on these engines, the compression release doesn't work.

A 5 year old battery is definitely suspect too. Fully charge it and get it tested.

· Registered
26 Posts
Man, if that's the case then I've found my home! Although the doc says I need to like food less. But I lost 11 pounds in the last three weeks, so that'll keep him quiet for a little while. :ROF:

I lost 10 lbs in the last 3 weeks too but I had to do this to do it. Never try to catch a falling router while it is still running. :duh: BTW, that was my thumb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.